Job and General Employment Thread

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Regarding my post in the covid thread

My wife's employer had one employee test positive. She wasn't in close contact with him but he was in common areas. No symptoms, has a loss of taste.

Today, her boss (the HR Manager) called and pretty much told her that they aren't going to do anything about it, they notified everyone he was in close contact with and cleaned the place. But there would be no alert as to not "incite panic". To me the rumor mill causes more panic but, what do i know.

Anyway my wife works from home Thurs and Fri already and she asked to fully WFH for 2 weeks. Her boss said while she "takes her concerns seriously, she'd think about it". Mind you they worked from home March thru June with no issue.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:37 pm

That's right, c2i...it's my old thing about coaching..."you can't fool the room"...a team knows that it's bad, you can't go in there and tell them they're the best and they were a couple of bounces away after a 9-1 loss...just make the best of what you can...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:52 pm

We're in the middle of two days of heavy rain, due to the tropical storm down in the gulf/Keys.

Guess when it's a perfect time to have a fire drill?

These **** people. So they empty our building out into a torrential downpour, where half the people don't have coats or umbrellas. Fortunately, it's 75F here, but they are all huddled together with wet masks. Great.

Then everyone goes back inside to our always cold building...and everyone's miserable.

So my complaints to the security head blame a new safety officer and a FedGov deadline for fire safety testing (at the end of November). You couldn't push it one day?

It's the little things, paper cuts, that kill me about this place.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:02 pm

That's right, c2i...it's my old thing about coaching..."you can't fool the room"...a team knows that it's bad, you can't go in there and tell them they're the best and they were a couple of bounces away after a 9-1 loss...just make the best of what you can...
Don't know why, but for some reason Patrick Roy's last game in MTL popped into my mind when I read this. haha

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:03 pm

We're in the middle of two days of heavy rain, due to the tropical storm down in the gulf/Keys.

Guess when it's a perfect time to have a fire drill?
That's like a fusion bomb of stupid.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:11 pm

Got laid off three months ago. Haven't gotten any money yet, and I missed a call last week from the UC office. It is impossible to call them back. Finally got an email today saying my severance pay is what is holding everything up. Absolutely unbelievable.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 pm

The mikey pto thing, maybe offer an option to make it a one time thing because of covid in case you don't win

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:26 pm

Got laid off three months ago. Haven't gotten any money yet, and I missed a call last week from the UC office. It is impossible to call them back. Finally got an email today saying my severance pay is what is holding everything up. Absolutely unbelievable.
I don't know exactly how that works but I think if you get three months of severance you can't collect state UI until the three months is complete.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:31 pm

That’s my understanding Faftorial.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm

The mikey pto thing, maybe offer an option to make it a one time thing because of covid in case you don't win
I ended up framing it that way...I wasn't sure if I was giving away a negotiating point or not by doing that...so I said, "covid era", leaving me enough room to rope 2021 into it...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Before the layoffs I was talking to a guy and from what I recall him saying was if you get 1k of severance and 500 a week from UC, they wait two weeks since that is the same amount they would have paid out.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:53 pm

I ended up framing it that way...I wasn't sure if I was giving away a negotiating point or not by doing that...so I said, "covid era", leaving me enough room to rope 2021 into it...
Good move. Then they realize it wasn't a big deal to them but it was big for the employees and hopefully they just leave it that way.

Also... jfc tell your people to take time off

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:01 pm

They're all made in my image...we work, we do well, we're low maintenance, and in exchange, we ask not to be hassled...

Growing up, my mom didn't work and my dad was self-employed and he worked 7 days a week...he'd build stuff at home, and then go and install it all over the country...we didn't really have vacations or anything like that, so it's not like ingrained in my mind...I don't really need mental days, I don't trust people not to screw things up while I'm gone...I finally took four days off in a row for the first time in my life last year for a music festival I think, but outside of that, I really only take an afternoon here or a day there but it's to go do a second job - coaching or scouting haha

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:13 pm

mikey the boss from hell.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Quite the opposite actually...at least according to them. They are always free to do as they please, as long as they do good work. If they want to go clothes shopping for two hours during the day, they know I won't ask any questions, as long as the work is done well and on time...

The deal is I'll shield them from all the bs of upper management, as long as I don't get hassled because of you haha

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Pretty much the same for me. Basically told em all up front I default to extreme flexibility but that its a two way street. Most loved that, a few took advantage of it, and a few struggled with it... like for example those ones felt really uncomfortable when I told them to relax and not worry about entering a damn half day in the HR system to leave at noon on a Friday after a week of working their ass off on a big project (especially considering I basically was pissed if I wasn't out the door by about 230 on fridays)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:48 am

Quite the opposite actually...at least according to them. They are always free to do as they please, as long as they do good work. If they want to go clothes shopping for two hours during the day, they know I won't ask any questions, as long as the work is done well and on time...

The deal is I'll shield them from all the bs of upper management, as long as I don't get hassled because of you haha
That’s how my boss is, and all of us appreciate being shielded from the political bullshit.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:20 pm

Annoying day today...No offense to Project Managers on here, but they are the worst. I had to work with one most of the day and he was a walking buzzword generator. I could've won Bingo many times. And then talking to him on a conference call he never went on mute and it was like his mic was right next to his mouse and keyboard. Ultra loud click-click-click-tap-tap-tap every few seconds.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Project Managers are generally the most useless bodies in every company, and I could replace most of them with a PowerShell script.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:43 pm

Project Managers are generally the most useless bodies in every company, and I could replace most of them with a PowerShell script.
I've worked with some good ones and bad ones so they're both out there.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:43 pm

A good project manager is priceless. Sure you could program a script to email when somebody is late on a project (or use any decent PM software) but having that one person who holds people accountable and instills fear of missing a deadline? That **** is incredible and you don’t realize how important it is until you no longer have it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Which just reinforces my opinion that most of them are useless.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:12 pm

I’ve dealt with dozens of PMs. I’d say 10% are good at what they do. They have to strike a real balance between being polite, but firm; knowledgeable without being a SME; organized, but not anal.

It’s a tough balance to strike. That being said, I think good managers could render PMs obsolete. The problem is that there is usually a shortage of good managers.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:42 pm

Annoying day today...No offense to Project Managers on here, but they are the worst. I had to work with one most of the day and he was a walking buzzword generator. I could've won Bingo many times.
https://www.kopf.com.br/buzzwordmaster/ ... erator.htm

There used to be a better one on Wall Street Journal's site.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 pm

The good project managers that I worked with used to be software developers so they knew what was going on.