Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 am

Source of the post We get a free lunch once in a while. At the cafeteria.
Depending on the cafeteria, that could still be pretty good. Ours is very, very good with quite a few cuisine choices.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 am

Haha... every month the company pays for a group to organize a lunch for the entire company to get together and eat. You can do homemade stuff or get it catered. The R&D group takes December every year, and we do soup and salad, and I make a huge batch of freshly baked bread.

We also get to go do quarterly lunches as departments. And next week I'm doing a presentation at lunch time where they're bringing in pizza for anyone that's going to come and listen.

Our company pretty much revolves around food. :lol:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah much nicer than ours too which is like DGs

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 am

Our cafeteria is OK, just filled with students. I wouldn't want to eat 3 meals a day there for a semester, but it's fine for a couple of meals a year. :lol:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:57 am

Anyways, I've got $310 in my bank, and I'll have 25 more for my anniversary next week, 25 more for my birthday in November, and 50 more for participating in a health check up in October. I'll probably get a few more atta boys, so I'll be around $450 by November. Now what to buy... what to buy.
This reminds me of the old days of Wheel of Fortune, where after every round, the winner would stare while items floated by that you could "buy." "I'll take the ski jackets....the washer dryer...............................and I guess the tube of tennis balls."

Anyone else old like me & remember this?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:20 pm

Anyways, I've got $310 in my bank, and I'll have 25 more for my anniversary next week, 25 more for my birthday in November, and 50 more for participating in a health check up in October. I'll probably get a few more atta boys, so I'll be around $450 by November. Now what to buy... what to buy.
This reminds me of the old days of Wheel of Fortune, where after every round, the winner would stare while items floated by that you could "buy." "I'll take the ski jackets....the washer dryer...............................and I guess the tube of tennis balls."

Anyone else old like me & remember this?
I’ll take the ceramic dog and the rest on a gift certificate.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:57 am

Yes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 am

I came into work this morning to find that my pen was missing from my desk. I'm particular about my pen. This is a crime of the highest magnitude.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:24 am

How's your stapler?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 am

Kane rn

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:38 am

So I've had issues before about being an "interim" manager - and was finally told they'd announce I'd be managing what I'm doing now in an official capacity next week. Nothing to sign, I haven't heard anything about compensation, and haven't been told about it, but I will be asking.

There may be another position opening up in the same company, doing quasi what I do now in regards to the same experience. I feel like I'm in a weird spot because finally, something is happening, but at this point there still enough unknown that I'm not happy and I'm going to listen to the other guy as he's telling me about this role.

I just hate guilty feeling that if I leave, I'm leaving the team in a poor spot, because in a way it's been so chaotic, I've gotten used to living in it, maybe a self-important though, but I'm not sure anyone outside of me is equipped to handle it that exists today on our team.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:55 am

Well then they should've made it more official sooner.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Yeah or at least compensate the extra work. Don't feel guilty about looking out for yourself. The company will never put your needs in front of theirs so why should you do the same for them?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Be an alpha and ask for the back pay...

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Be an alpha and ask for the back pay...
Alphas don't ask, they demand...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:52 pm

So yea, I was told to apply after having a semi-interview with the guy who'd be my boss. Gonna think through the weekend, but I've been really disenfranchised with how things have gone.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Well then they should've made it more official sooner.
That's exactly it honestly. I've been loyal to a fault because I like this position, but I'm taking on the responsibility of even more with the hiring of contractors. So I haven't been getting the fair shake, like at all, and at most I can apply. The turd part is I have to tell my boss if I apply.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm becoming less and less impressed with my new boss. He started last Sept. He claims to be transparent but blatantly lies about stupid stuff. Like today he snuck out at 3. If that was me I'd at least tell my folks "hey, head out a bit early, enjoy the weekend". But no, he just sneaks out.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:14 pm

So yea, I was told to apply after having a semi-interview with the guy who'd be my boss. Gonna think through the weekend, but I've been really disenfranchised with how things have gone.
This is pretty standard these days, even though I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Promoting from within is a thing of the past, it seems.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 am

Walking back into work after a vacation is one of the worst first-world feelings that exists.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 am

My employer has devoted several hours and even full-day sessions to addressing the emotional well being of our staff. We have a high-talent, high-attrition environment, which presses the issue.

Point being that this is sort of a “rich get richer” situation, where attention to mental health in the workplace is only for people who have options to go somewhere else more lucrative. Pretty sad, I think.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am

This is pretty standard these days, even though I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Promoting from within is a thing of the past, it seems.
So the more I thought about it, the more I think I'm going to apply, I'm just nervous about the protocol that I have to tell my boss if I get a formal interview. For me, it's like opposite of everything I've ever been told about going after a new "job."

I think my boss and I have a good relationship, I'm content working this position and not looking to leave otherwise, this new positions "feels" like it's right up my alley, and it'd require me to learn a ton about things, which is scary, but I have no qualms about pushing myself.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 am

Personally, if it's a job that interests you, I'd go for it. If your boss is worth a grain of salt, he'll want you to be successful regardless of which position you have within the company. I would never want to work for somebody who wouldn't want me to succeed (and I have in the past).

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:13 am

For sure. It's always that unknown thing. I guess it's better than leaving for a new company if I can get a decent pay raise here. At least with this one, I may not have to go out and work to establish who I am as much and I'd still be working with people in the same groups, just a different position.

I just like being secretive and private, having to expose my hand before I'm ready to show it bothers me greatly.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 am

Morkle, since it's internal, I'd be upfront with your current boss. Let him know you are applying, before you apply. Explain that the position interests you, you are ready to take on more responsibility in an official capacity, however, also mention you do enjoy working in your current role, but this is a good opportunity.

If you boss is a good boss, one of two things will happen:
1) He will fully support you and talk to the hiring manager to express his support for you
2) If he really doesn't want you to leave because you are too valuable, he will speed things up, give you fair compensation, and make your current job official (if you really have interest in staying)

I'm going through something similar at my job. A position opened up that I'm interested in in another one of our business units. Great opportunity. However, I really do enjoy what I'm doing now, so I'm in a win win situation. I had the discussion with my boss and also the director of our current business unit and they are both really supportive but also said there is always a place here for me if I don't get the position.

Key point though, be up front. It can be hard at times, but eventually your current boss will find out, and experience as both being managed, and being a manager is, the majority of the time they are supportive if there is transparency and honesty.