Job and General Employment Thread

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm

..the same as it is in most public, indoor places...?
Try to fart quietly?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm

..the same as it is in most public, indoor places...?
Maybe explain this to our rather rotund team of PC techs who think Burger King is the only downtown restaurant in Pittsburgh.
IT people should have their own offices - with a toilet - and just leave the rest of us alone...
Seriously, what is it with IT people and tremendous bowel movements? :lol:

Our college subcontracted our IT services, and they have a tech on campus 2-3 days a week fixing things and so on. The condition of our restroom deteriorates throughout the day when they are here. I legitimately gagged and nearly threw up after following one gent into the bathroom. It smelled like death and a nasty cat litter box at the same time. Then we need to talk about their lack of aim...
With a diet that consists of Cheetos and Mountain Dew, what do you expect?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:03 pm

These dudes also eat plenty of fast food, including Cook Out, which is pretty bottom of the barrel in quality (but cheap and plentiful servings). :lol:

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Cook Out, which is pretty bottom of the barrel in quality
"100% USDA American Top Quality Beef"...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:37 am

These dudes also eat plenty of fast food, including Cook Out, which is pretty bottom of the barrel in quality (but cheap and plentiful servings). :lol:
take it to the bad take thread, chump

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm really getting tired/bored with my current position. To the point that I just don't want to get up and go to work anymore. It's a great fit for my lifestyle but the work itself is really starting to grind me down with how mundane it is. I'm usually good in a position for about 2 years before I get restless; and I've been here for 2 years 10 months. I'm stuck somewhere between apathy and upset with myself for not performing at 100%. I've been floating apps to other agencies over the summer but so far nothing is hitting; in part because of the way that the other agency does their hiring (they post the announcement nationally, then only take the first 50 applications). By the time I get the alert for the posting at 1am the next morning the quota is already full.

I've made a few missteps in handling my promotion track this year and I'm not seeing a way out in the next 6-12 months other than completely jumping to private sector work.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Just give up all hope and resign yourself to being a slug.

It's the government way!

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:37 pm

That's actually one of the options on the table. FedGov doesn't have a tiered retirement like the military so I can leave whenever I want. So the longer I can stomach it the bigger my eventual pension will be.

The only thing keeping me from hitting the eject button right now is I'm not sure what will happen after I pass the bar exam in February. My current position is a nice one to stay in if I'm trying to build a second career on the side.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

I'm usually good in a position for about 2 years before I get restless; and I've been here for 2 years 10 months. I'm stuck somewhere between apathy and upset with myself for not performing at 100%.
Boy, do I get this feeling...and at just about the exact same time too...18-24 months or so, and I get antsy for a new challenge. I pretty much gave my company an ultimatum, "use me for something more, or I'll just go work ticket sales for some USHL team for pennies out in God's country and just grind at the rink all day..."

They blinked. I'm wealthier. Feeling more important. And now I'm in a position to really spend save a good bit of money because I know my next job (or few jobs now, at this point) will pay me less than I'm making now...

But I've been with this company for almost six years now...and about every [this amount of time we're talking about] I move up or take on a new role or something...this last run was going on 30 months I think with no real movement and I prepared to walk away out of frustration...both with the situation and with myself...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:16 pm

I've mentioned this before, but I've been dreading coming to work each and every morning since I was promoted in July 2016. I am the ultimate middle manager - get **** dumped on me from above, deal with basic managerial bullshit from below, and use very little of what attracted me to this field to begin with.

It's awful.

So, I started rationalizing it: 12 years to get both of my kids through college (as I get tuition remission to dozens of other private colleges around the state and country). Then I peace out, and go somewhere and work retirement jobs doing what I got into this career field in the first place.

But, man, 12 years seems like a long, long, time. It's a tough time for small colleges and universities, and I don't see any way where things improve financially. Free college tuition would kill us. Student loan overhaul would kill us. My budget has been shrinking, yet things needed for accreditation keep getting more expensive. My staff leave, and their positions are not replaced or we are slow rolled in getting a replacement, so the school can save a few bucks. Yet the expectations of service remain the same. It sucks.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Kinda surprised, didn't get an offer.

They said they had some concerns with the exercise I did during the interview. Which is odd, because they then brought me in for a second round of interviews and asked for no clarification or made mention of the exercise.

Oh well at least I'm still employed

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Damn, sorry mac. You must've salted the soup before tasting it. :(

mikey, it's not like you're falling upward or anything, but picturing you being effective in that environment cracks me up. Not that I doubt your ability or anything, but having talked with you a good bit you just don't throw off that corporate ladder vibe.

DG, I met a guy kind of like you the last track weekend I had. He was 52, been racing for two years. He put off racing his whole life until the last kid was out of college. And he is the CFO of a credit union. Hope you find a plan for something that works out for you because you kind of sound like you're trapped, or at least feel that way.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 pm

Yeah, thanks, and it doesn't help being stuck in the middle of nowhere. It would require a move, not something I want to do with kid in 8th grade.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Kinda surprised, didn't get an offer.

They said they had some concerns with the exercise I did during the interview. Which is odd, because they then brought me in for a second round of interviews and asked for no clarification or made mention of the exercise.

Oh well at least I'm still employed
Sorry to hear that bud, it's probably because you ate something other than a salad at lunch I bet.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:29 pm

You played it too safe, son.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Damn, sorry, mac...good "bright side" finish to the post...good mind set to have...all you can do is be better the next time...swing through Philly, I'll buy you a big gay ice cream cone (cross-pollination pick-me-up, 1000 points to me, thank you)

Dodint: Yeah, I get that...I'm a chameleon though, my best trait is my ability to be adaptable...but I also don't ever blend in, like I don't have to give up my personality in this space either...actually, that was part of the discussion, they're like "look, our concerns with you have nothing to do with your ability...we have full trust...it's your mouth that makes us nervous..." but I assured them that that's part of the package, this is how I work...if no one is gonna entertain me, then I'll entertain others...

I actually think my abilities are grossly overstated here, but it's my ability to talk my way out of things or to get a good laugh is how I stay afloat...so...here I am...being kind of successful, with a journalism degree and strong affinity for having a good time...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Damn, sorry, mac...good "bright side" finish to the post...good mind set to have...all you can do is be better the next time...swing through Philly, I'll buy you a big gay ice cream cone (cross-pollination pick-me-up, 1000 points to me, thank you)
Hanging out in Exton tonight actually. Got here Monday. Doing work in west Chester but I hit the road mid morning tomorrow to head west.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:52 am

Hanging out in Exton tonight actually. Got here Monday. Doing work in west Chester but I hit the road mid morning tomorrow to head west.
That's my neck of the woods! I work in WC, spend a lot of time in Exton.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:14 am

Mac...you shouldn't have told them about your shower incident...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:32 am

That's my neck of the woods! I work in WC, spend a lot of time in Exton.
Nice area for sure. Some good eats. I should've posted about it sooner to get recommendations. Unfortunately my boss is a grade a D-bag travel snob and also likes to pinch pennies for the company while on these trips. We went to Victory on Monday, man if that place was within 10 minutes of my house I'd be there nightly. Then Ron's for a night cap, and last night went to the Eagle Tavern. Hit Suburban for lunch. Delicious food.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am

I know... sent my chances right down the drain...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am

I know... sent wafflestomped my chances right down the drain...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 am

I've mentioned the "atta boys" we get here at work. They're essentially money put into a bank here where we can buy whatever we want from Amazon, Walmart, Best buy, etc. Each on is 10 "points" and each point is $1.

The owner just came in and gave me one for "being a superstar". He said about the huge difference that I've made since I've gotten here, and how well I fit in with the R&D group. Said he's excited to see what I'll do in the future, and that he won't have to wait long for the next big "aha!" that I'll have.

It's stuff like that, along with the impressive benefits plan that we have here that keep me here. For a lot of reasons, I should have been on the job market and looking for new positions somewhere else, but the ownership keeps me here because they're just that great of a team to work for.

Anyways, I've got $310 in my bank, and I'll have 25 more for my anniversary next week, 25 more for my birthday in November, and 50 more for participating in a health check up in October. I'll probably get a few more atta boys, so I'll be around $450 by November. Now what to buy... what to buy.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 am

Nice

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am

That's a cool program. We get a free lunch once in a while. At the cafeteria. :lol: