Job and General Employment Thread

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:54 am

Just need to pee in a cup and fill out some online forms then I can give my current place my notice. Thank ****

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm

:thumb:

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:50 pm

The chatty two rows of the cube farm hell have probably done two hours total work today. This afternoon they have so loud that I could barely hear my conference call on my headset. One guy just realized he is late on his taxes and is yelling out questions as he does his return. They’ve also talked about Notre Dame, Paris, traveling in general, taxes, weather, Bernie Sanders, sexual innuendos, and their experiences while attending Pitt among other things. Among the worst offender is the division HR rep! Someone jokingly said “it’s too loud in here” and she said “get a noise canceling headset” No, you guys shut the **** up for more than five minutes.

Gahhhh, I need to go back to working remote

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Source of the post Someone jokingly said “it’s too loud in here” and she said “get a noise canceling headset”
Yeah, I'd be going to her boss after that comment.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

H2P

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Source of the post Someone jokingly said “it’s too loud in here” and she said “get a noise canceling headset”
Have a similar issue here. The manager and director of the department just close their office doors instead of telling them to shut up and work.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:58 pm

My problematic employee was late the last two days because of "tax issues." I understand not wanting to pay the government early, but tax day is the same day...nearly every year. Why not have it ready to go and mail it the day or two before? Why wait until the last minute?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Are a complain to other peoples bosses about nickel and dime issues guy

because thats a terrible guy to be

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:03 pm

No, but if there are people constantly causing disruption in your area and nobody is willing to do anything about it, then you go to the next person.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm so mad right now. I've been in government for a while and I just witnessed the most spineless and wasteful series of events occur over the last two weeks. To be vague we have an inspection coming up and it covers various systems. There is one system that is important to our mission but requires a little extra work to keep functional. Our "CEO" was upset we failed a pre-inspection on that system, enterprise-wide. He gave an ultimatum to each division commander to correct the defects or disconnect the system. Almost every single commander across the organization opted to pass the buck and shut down their local system rather than maintain it and get it ready for a re-inspection. So after spending six figures to set these systems up we're going to scrap them. Then, in 18-24 months when the inspection cycle is over I guarantee there will be an IMMEDIATE NEED to set up these systems again, just like there was in 2015 when we initially pushed to put the now-decommissioned ones in place.

It's the most gutless and short-sighted thing I've ever seen in a military environment and I worked in a military command center for five years.

Again, I know it's vague, but trust me this is gross.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Short-sighted was my first thought after reading that, as well.

Rigger

Postby Rigger » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

Threads like this make me so glad I took the plunge and started my own company.

Not a brag because I could fail with a string of bad luck at anytime but so far its been good.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:58 pm

No, but if there are people constantly causing disruption in your area and nobody is willing to do anything about it, then you go to the next person.
Or you could go directly to them

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Something something slash their tires.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Yeah.

Not sure if I was clear, but we're talking $150k-200k per local system and there are ~14 of them. When we're done we'll have two.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Have a similar issue here. The manager and director of the department just close their office doors instead of telling them to shut up and work.

Mine do that as well, but it's because they've (multiple times since I've been here, and surely more before that) told people to stop doing the annoying things.

People don't care. The one person in the cube across from me constantly takes personal phone calls, both on her cell and work phone. Dont get me started on the person who has been here over 40 years. Doesn't matter how many times the supervisors say to stop. It continues.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Mine do that as well, but it's because they've (multiple times since I've been here, and surely more before that) told people to stop doing the annoying things.

People don't care. The one person in the cube across from me constantly takes personal phone calls, both on her cell and work phone. Dont get me started on the person who has been here over 40 years. Doesn't matter how many times the supervisors say to stop. It continues.
My current place is an absolute joke. Oh well, all I need to do is take a drug screening tomorrow and I get to put my notice in.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Obviously, my original post was for AFTER that happens, as a last recourse.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Yeah.

Not sure if I was clear, but we're talking $150k-200k per local system and there are ~14 of them. When we're done we'll have two.
Two? There’s your redundancy!

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Had an internal interview for a position for what would be I think a pretty significant jump in pay at my current job. I went in thinking I had no chance. I left thinking... maybe just maybe. We shall see. Would have been mad if I hadn't at least gave it an attempt though.
I emailed to followup about the position last Friday just so I could get some closure one way or the other since it had been a couple weeks and I had heard nothing. Today I get an email saying they want to have me do a 2nd interview for them on Thursday. So it seems though as I still have a shot. *fingers crossed*

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Nice, congrats!

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:54 pm

The guy in the cube next to me is 60 years old and is a fellow contractor but he was laid off as an FTE from this same company about ten years ago. He has his PC speakers near full blast, eats at his desk and crinkles his chip bag constantly, and he gulps down drinks like a pig in a trough. Other than that he is quiet and doesn’t bother me.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm

It probably wouldn't be as annoying if ALL OF THEM DIDNT HAVE THEIR GODDAMN RINGTONES ON FULL VOLUME

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Job search coming to a close. Waiting on the offer. Could be between a 75 to 100% increase in salary, not including bonus packages. Woot woot.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Good luck!

Emergency trip to Louisville next week. It butts up against my already scheduled two week trip to St. Paul.

My divorce will be fun.