Job and General Employment Thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Oh, I read that and forgot...my bad haha. Bonne chance!

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:02 pm

going back through my FB memories, I just realized that I was downsized from one job (2011) and hired by another (2017) on this date.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:45 pm

I can't believe how **** things are at work. It's like I complained about stubbing my toe so someone came along and shattered my pelvis to give me something real to dodint about.

Holy **** balls. It's almost comforting how bad things are because we can't reasonably be expected to fix it.

*whistles*

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 pm

I was told they want to try to automate some of the audits to help try to get numbers down and give me some help.

One, that'll never work. You can't automate auditing and people barely get stuff correct now. Automating the audit will only cause more issue. And two, it isn't my fault they refused to hire more than one permanent employee to do this job. This has become a 3 person job. Currently it's me and a temp who has only been here a month.

I've been telling my boss this constantly but I don't think the concerns are going anywhere.

I'm starting to shotgun applications out. I don't think I can keep doing this to myself.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:34 pm

What percentage of the money you save the company do they spend on employing you? Would you say that is more or less than usual? Does the additional auditing have the potential to save the company more than the cost of creating 1 or 2 new permanent positions?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:18 am

I can't believe how **** things are at work. It's like I complained about stubbing my toe so someone came along and shattered my pelvis to give me something real to dodint about.

Holy **** balls. It's almost comforting how bad things are because we can't reasonably be expected to fix it.

*whistles*
Are you referring to a post someone else made or your own work life? I genuinely can't tell :x

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:23 am

I was told they want to try to automate some of the audits to help try to get numbers down and give me some help.

One, that'll never work. You can't automate auditing and people barely get stuff correct now. Automating the audit will only cause more issue. And two, it isn't my fault they refused to hire more than one permanent employee to do this job. This has become a 3 person job. Currently it's me and a temp who has only been here a month.

I've been telling my boss this constantly but I don't think the concerns are going anywhere.

I'm starting to shotgun applications out. I don't think I can keep doing this to myself.
Oh yes you can automate it. AI is coming

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:31 am

So you're saying it'll catch when people submit for expenses they were already paid for, but changed the date and expense type on the line to avoid detection?

Or when they use our corporate card (Mastercard) but enter it as a cash expense?

I can't even get these people to figure out the difference between a membership and a conference registration, despite months of attempts and hours of writing a list of expense types and uses for them.

I don't buy it. It's going to end up creating more work fixing the mistakes in the long run and compounding the already-existing issues. Not to mention an influx of customer service inquiries when people inevitably screw something up and we can't change it because the automated system already put it through.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:34 am

So you're saying it'll catch when people submit for expenses they were already paid for, but changed the date and expense type on the line to avoid detection?

Or when they use our corporate card (Mastercard) but enter it as a cash expense?

I can't even get these people to figure out the difference between a membership and a conference registration, despite months of attempts and hours of writing a list of expense types and uses for them.

I don't buy it. It's going to end up creating more work fixing the mistakes in the long run and compounding the already-existing issues. Not to mention an influx of customer service inquiries when people inevitably screw something up and we can't change it because the automated system already put it through.
How doesn’t your system flag that already? I built a database that flags types of data like that.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 am

Flag what?

It'll flag duplicates, but only if the date and expense type on the line are the same. It doesn't read receipts so there's no flag when they enter a Corp card expense as a personal one. I catch all of that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:42 am

*whistles*
Are you referring to a post someone else made or your own work life? I genuinely can't tell :x
It's me. This whole winter/spring has just been a string of organizational failures that are really starting to bottleneck into a really bad time. They're not my fault, it's 'we've just always done it that way' stuff that has been in place for decades that we're finally being held to as an organization. I just got here, relatively, but I'm the facilitator that has to navigate all these different stakeholders into some kind of unified force to fix this stuff.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:03 am

it will catch material errors

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:21 am

People entering the same expense they were paid for but changing date and type should be terminated after a thorough investigation.

People doing the card but entered as cash thing should be terminated if warranted as well (not a entry mistake, happens multiple times etc.)

And if investigation reveals your system is prone to generating mistakes, should get a new system of course.....

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pm

A year ago I worked remote for a company and had my own co-working office. Worked there over three years. It was great. But the company had some issues and an opportunity elsewhere came so I took it and it turned out to be shitty. Still regret it I guess.

Flash forward to this new “rebound” job and I am back in cubicle farm hell for the first time since 2014. The guy next to me is a slob and has spent the past five minutes slamming his locked drawers trying to unlock them. These are those low wall cubes too where if someone stands up they can see everything going on in your cube.

The middle rows of the farm are Project Managers They are so chatty and annoying then when they get in conference calls they take them from their desk and shout in their headsets. Just more reasons to hate PMs *ducks*

I work in the two reps of InfoSec people we keep to ourselves and do work, the same the other side of the room where the developers sit. There are no managers here. All the departments in this cube farm have managers in other states/countries, so people kind of do what they want.

But this pay is 70% more than my job I had a year ago. I am sticking this one out for at least three months until another company I contract with is hiring full time and I am on the top of their list..

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Source of the post Just more reasons to hate PMs *ducks* *high fives*
fixed

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:19 pm

For some perspective, I used to want to PM and even have a Masters in it, but it's so unpalatable even I moved away from it once I saw how the sausage is made.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:20 pm

People entering the same expense they were paid for but changing date and type should be terminated after a thorough investigation.

People doing the card but entered as cash thing should be terminated if warranted as well (not a entry mistake, happens multiple times etc.)

And if investigation reveals your system is prone to generating mistakes, should get a new system of course.....

You're preaching to the choir, but there's a lot of red tape in the University system.

The system we use doesn't generate the mistake. It's Concur. It's simple to use and the only way for a mistake or error to occur when entering information is by human hands.

My biggest issue is that I am (more or less) the only thing holding people accountable. I'd wager a good 70% of department-level approvers don't bother checking things before approving them. And my holding then accountable is limited to "you did this wrong, please fix it". We (myself and department) have no say outside of that, and even then, I'm not even sure my say goes above my immediate supervisor.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm

**** PMs.

With that out of the way, I was approved for that conference next month. However, one of the other admins - who has been here longer than I have, and has gotten shafted in literally every other conference - still has not been approved. I feel guilty about it, even though I’m told her approval is basically done. I’ve offered to give her my pass so that she can go in my place should the second approval not happen, but my manager wants me there regardless of how it works out for her.

The only good news is that dipshit Sr. Manager was told by dipshit executive that he can’t go.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Lit.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been an "interim" manager for almost two years, with no apparent end in sight. The position is identified on the org chart as "open" but we're not hiring right now. By the day, I'm becoming more angry about this as I've been told I will also need to interview for it when it comes available.

My frustration is that I feel this is becoming insulting, as you've been having me perform these duties for almost two years out of necessity, and I think you're sandbagging not opening the role because I'm willingly doing this.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:03 pm

That's some crap. I assume the person above you isn't sympathetic to your plight? No one to go to bat for you?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:07 pm

The person above me is my boss, and I like the guy a lot. I just am losing steam quickly so I'm not sure what to do. It's gonna end up having a conversation with him, but burning both ends is getting tiring.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 pm

It's probably best that you address it with him sooner rather than later, in that case.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Have you tried setting the place on fire?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Kidnap his family, assert your dominance.