Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 pm

If your company is dependent upon tax breaks from the city, I'd argue that it's setup for failure to begin with.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:56 pm

I get that, but if a pillar of your financial viability is “oh please mr government man. please don’t make me pay my fair share of taxes. it’ll ruin us!” then your company is **** stupid and deserves to fail

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:58 pm

meow

Postby meow » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Ah. The new page got me. I was responding to tif

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 pm

If pittsburgh companies expect people back downtown for work they need to clean up the city.

Got yelled at / followed / **** with on my way to the garage (again) at 3pm yesterday by 3 dudes, one of which entered the scan-entry parking garage behind me.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:25 pm

the tax break thing is silly because there’s an opportunity cost. In 2023 if companies think it’ll retain talent while forcing them back to the office, they’re foolish

I’m a software engineering manager and have been in the business for 9 years. There’s a difference between good and bad engineers and there’s many good engineers who want remote work. Hell, there’s good engineers that want a 4 day work week too. And losing talent is hard to quantify but can cost a **** ton of money in lost potential gains

And as a manager there was no loss in team productivity when we went remote. It’s a no brainer to me, frankly

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:34 am

If pittsburgh companies expect people back downtown for work they need to clean up the city.

Got yelled at / followed / **** with on my way to the garage (again) at 3pm yesterday by 3 dudes, one of which entered the scan-entry parking garage behind me.
Don't let DK see this.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:33 am

the tax break thing is silly because there’s an opportunity cost. In 2023 if companies think it’ll retain talent while forcing them back to the office, they’re foolish

I’m a software engineering manager and have been in the business for 9 years. There’s a difference between good and bad engineers and there’s many good engineers who want remote work. Hell, there’s good engineers that want a 4 day work week too. And losing talent is hard to quantify but can cost a **** ton of money in lost potential gains

And as a manager there was no loss in team productivity when we went remote. It’s a no brainer to me, frankly
This board is highly saturated with IT personnel. But it's a small portion of the overall population. The other 95% of the population doesn't have it that easy. WFH has been in the IT bloodlines for 20 years, so the whole "transition" to WFH was not really a transition for you.

For instance, in my profession, WFH has been thrown around at all the places I've worked the past 24 years. But it was always quickly shot down and laughed at as an impossibility. 2020 changed that mentality, but only in the slightest. People are going to revert back to their old ways of doing things, especially older folks that have been working since pre-internet days.

What I'm trying to say is, WFH is not a simple "flip the switch" mentality you tend to think it is across all businesses in the US. I think we'll ultimately end up with a hybrid approach in the next 5-10 years across the board, but it's not going to happen overnight. Tax breaks are just one of the hurdles companies will need to wiggle out from, because ultimately it does make more business sense for them to have people WFH if they are able.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:40 am

Historically, WFH was already on the rise. This is from an interview from Fall 2022 with Nick Bloom who has been studying work from home for a few decades.
Just to put numbers on it, working from home was doubling roughly every 15 years before pandemic, and it’s now gone up threefold in the space of two years. That’s almost 50 years of change compressed into two years. So I’m not that surprised that it’s taken a number of managers 10, 15 months to get comfortable with it. What we’ve seen is that more and more firms have said, “Look, work from home is here to stay. It’s going to be a permanent thing.” We are now in the post-pandemic world in terms of the future of work. Work from home is here to stay, and it’s roughly half-time for professionals and managers. The problem is for the other half of the population — folks that work in frontline jobs — they also want to work from home about two-and-a-half days a week and they’re getting more like half-a-day a week. I feel like by late fall, 2022, we are in the new normal. Anyone out there that’s thinking suddenly everyone’s going to come back, cities are going to totally revive — you know, at this point, you’re dreaming.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:48 am

Covid was simply the catalyst for change, and once companies were forced to go this route, a lot of them realized that a) WFH was both possible and successful, and b) beneficial to both company and individual contributor. Companies that fully revert to the old 'everyone must be in the office' mentality will struggle to find top tier talent, and will ultimately suffer. This obviously doesn't apply to companies where being on-site is necessary, like nurses, etc.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:50 am

Also from that interview... hybrid work is the future for most people and employers. There will be full time wfhers and full time onsite people, but hybrid work is where most industries are heading.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:28 am

I promoted into a full WFH role in early 2020. That's how I was positioned to sell my house so early in the pandemic, I was already on track to move back out east.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:33 am

The thing that makes ZERO sense is these companies forcing people back into offices that are located in multiple locations. Like these people are sitting in an office building....on Zoom calls lol. That's been my whole thing this time and luckily my director and VP agree. We have people in at least 3 different locations. In office work will still be us sitting on calls and meetings. When everyone is on a call it's a lot easier than when 50% are in one room and the other 50% are remote.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:35 am

The thing that makes ZERO sense is these companies forcing people back into offices that are located in multiple locations. Like these people are sitting in an office building....on Zoom calls lol. That's been my whole thing this time and luckily my director and VP agree. We have people in at least 3 different locations. In office work will still be us sitting on calls and meetings. When everyone is on a call it's a lot easier than when 50% are in one room and the other 50% are remote.
This is a prime example of poor leadership.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:57 am

Source of the post The thing that makes ZERO sense is these companies forcing people back into offices that are located in multiple locations. Like these people are sitting in an office building....on Zoom calls lol.
That's me. We're back in the office 3 days a week. Our team is scattered all over the country. I have a team meeting at 10 and all of us in the office will be sitting at our computers on Team. I'm not exaggerating when I say the only time we talk face to face is to dodint about being in the office.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:59 am

Same. Even when I was a local asset in Pittsburgh I was the only one on my team in the state. I didn't meet my boss in person for like three years. I've never met my current boss.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am

Source of the post I've never met my current boss.
Same, as mine lives in Oregon. There's only one person on my team who is within an hour of me, with the rest being spread across the country.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am

I was in a training about the technology in our new meeting room. It's a large auditorium style room. The meeting was in person and on teams. The IT group was starting to talk and you could hear a very loud clicking and clacking of someone typing. The group said "Hi, someone on teams typing, can you mute please?" It stopped for a bit and then started back up. "Hello? Can you mute yourself?"

The IT group was presenting a powerpoint, so it would take some steps to open up teams and mute the person...but a super cranky engineer yelled out "This wouldn't f*cking happen if you came to the room instead of sitting behind your computer!" The IT group goes to mute the person... it's the President/founder of the company. :lol:

All heads turned right to the engineer, his face turns bright red. This kind of fun wouldn't happen without WFH opportunities.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:04 am

:lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:07 am

Source of the post I've never met my current boss.
Same, as mine lives in Oregon. There's only one person on my team who is within an hour of me, with the rest being spread across the country.
When I left my team two years ago I recruited a guy to take my place. Then we re-org'd and I went back to my old team as a Lead. So we do have two people from my team who work in Pittsburgh, but we are both full-time WFH so we never see each other. The nice thing is when we have to process Secret information I can just divert that workload to him so I don't have to go into the office. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:09 am

When I interviewed for this job, my manager and team lead didn't even bother turning on their webcams. I had mine on, and honestly, don't even know if they were watching (may have been on mobile). It was slightly awkward. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:19 pm

Free parking… on the north shore… for 2 months… then it’ll be 30% off.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:40 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:00 pm

You guys play "collect fines" with free parking?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:02 pm

No, that's a house rule and I always play it straight.