Job and General Employment Thread

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:28 am

I took a week off and came back to 500+ reports sitting there.

I'm literally the only permanent employee in my office without backup.

This is why I hate taking vacation time. I literally can't because I have no one to help out.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:29 am

I take two days off and come back to 3 days of back-to-back meetings, 10 different fires to put out, and an obscene amount of slack messages. Yay... Feel so rested...
Don't use it as an excuse to not take time off in the future. This is an ongoing battle I have with my wife.
Oh, that definitely is not an issue for me. I take 4 weeks a year regardless.

The bigger thing is that decisions and projects should be able to move forward without me, and my broader team somehow is not doing that. Have to get the team to that place, likely I'm doing this to myself by taking too much of a load normally.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:33 am

My wife had that issue last week. She was away from her school for training and one day of e-learning and came back Tuesday to an absolute shitstorm. Just inept people who can't do anything without being handheld through a task. Poor leadership from her principal who wants to be everyone's friend and not a supervisor, etc. Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:35 am

Source of the post The bigger thing is that decisions and projects should be able to move forward without me, and my broader team somehow is not doing that. Have to get the team to that place, likely I'm doing this to myself by taking too much of a load normally.
That's definitely an issue. My wife is in a similar boat, where some of the stuff she's working on basically gets put on hold until she returns, because nobody else is capable of handling it. That's more of an issue with how they've staffed her group, but there's nothing she can do about it, personally. In the end, that just makes her more valuable.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:41 am

Have to get the team to that place, likely I'm doing this to myself by taking too much of a load normally.
I learned this about 10 years ago. I'd just do everything myself because I didn't have the patience at the time to let the team struggle and learn. And some of the attention to detail lacked. So I'd work a lot of hours and drive myself nuts. Sent myself to the hospital with a panic attack one evening. Had an infant daughter at the time. That's when the light went off.

I still continue to work hard and take my job serious, but I've also learned that 1) as a manager/director, you have to rely on your team. They are not going to do everything how you like it, but that doesn't necessarly mean they are doing it wrong. And I'm here if they are spinning their wheels, but I let them struggle through some things, especially the new analyst that need to learn the art of forecasting, critical thinking, and "telling the story". 2) things aren't life and death. If you work 24/7, your manager is not going to stop you and will take advantage of that. You have to control that yourself. It's not always easy, but if you are putting out good results and doing your job, then it takes away some of their leverage.

Delegate, and let the team learn, and allow them to do things their way as long as it results in good output.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:18 am

Have to get the team to that place, likely I'm doing this to myself by taking too much of a load normally.
I learned this about 10 years ago. I'd just do everything myself because I didn't have the patience at the time to let the team struggle and learn. And some of the attention to detail lacked. So I'd work a lot of hours and drive myself nuts. Sent myself to the hospital with a panic attack one evening. Had an infant daughter at the time. That's when the light went off.

I still continue to work hard and take my job serious, but I've also learned that 1) as a manager/director, you have to rely on your team. They are not going to do everything how you like it, but that doesn't necessarly mean they are doing it wrong. And I'm here if they are spinning their wheels, but I let them struggle through some things, especially the new analyst that need to learn the art of forecasting, critical thinking, and "telling the story". 2) things aren't life and death. If you work 24/7, your manager is not going to stop you and will take advantage of that. You have to control that yourself. It's not always easy, but if you are putting out good results and doing your job, then it takes away some of their leverage.

Delegate, and let the team learn, and allow them to do things their way as long as it results in good output.
:thumb: yeah, I'm learning this all now and trying to implement better strategies with the team. And we are about to double in size and our structure is just unsustainable as is, let alone with double the team.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:30 am

I just told my boss I felt we were breeding a culture like grad school on our team (no boundaries on work, feeling pressure to work long or weird hours, etc). We have a lot of PhDs without industry experience, this was always a possibility. And he essentially told me he is not going to tell people how to work.

This is a massive issue to me, I wanted to hit this head on and give people more an idea of expectations (which this is not it). We are massively recruiting and this is only going to hurt that. People interviewing for jobs could get this sense and not want to join. I now basically have to do this with each team member individually and help new team members set boundaries, without a broader addressing of the culture issues.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:41 pm

I've settled in my mind that I'm ok pushing through my situation. My pay is garbage and that likely won't change, but after 15 years, I'm used to that lifestyle. I was always holding out for the manager position in my office and with the latest layoffs, they eliminated that position, so I still got that job, they just forgot to double my salary (or give me anything except the work). Now for the first time, I'm not real happy. I can stick with basically working 3 jobs at once with no extra compensation knowing that kids have free tuition, I'm home by 4, etc. Basically, I've been beaten down by the system long enough that I just don't have a desire to get out there and start over again. I just want to be left alone to my friends and family, stop pushing work into my fun life, it's already too much as is.
Moved bc the political thread can't be for reasonable discussions

I'm pretty much in the same boat eddy, although I don't think my pay is as bad as you are portraying. But still, I've worked here 10 years and every year it's cost of living raises (again, know your situation is worse). Nobody wants to hear they are making market rate. You hired me at the market rate, said I've done an exceptional/above average job, but pay me an average wage? On top of that, you're going to give me more work to do?

But yeah, my job is nice enough that I don't have to work overtime - although I wouldn't even do it if they asked - and have a nice work/life balance. The bills are paid, the kids are healthy, etc. It's actually a nice position to be in, bc I can throw my resume out there and wait for the big fish to nibble. Unless somebody blows my socks off, I'll stay put. No need for a slight raise to only have the same issues at a new place. You then risk having a worse boss, more demanding hours, etc.

That approach has actually got my toe in the door at one of the newer technology centers in pgh. Even though the market is very volatile, they apparently pay very well, their accommodations are very nice, and appear to have a nice work/life balance. It's an industry I've been very interested in for many years, well before the technology took off to where it is now. It may not work out, but at this point it's worth a shot. Why not?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:06 pm

This is the second time this has happened in as many months, but a few of us were sent an email asking for detailed hardware estimates that cover the next 3 and 10 years. Fine, we go through this routine every so often.

The due date? EOB today. We received the email yesterday right before lunch.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Is it done?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:47 pm

Of course. We all had to rush through it and hope that our costs are at least somewhat accurate, and we’re all guesstimating capacity, but I think we’re okay. This is just Mickey Mouse ****. We would have preferred having time to actually look at the data to get more accurate data.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:06 pm

Do you consider someone “in tech” without any kind of engineering education or background?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:20 pm

Do you consider someone “in tech” without any kind of engineering education or background?
Can you clarify this a bit? In tech, as in the field they're working in? Their department?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:22 pm

Is a business manager or marketing resource for a technology company/product “in tech”, for example.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Is a business manager or marketing resource for a technology company/product “in tech”, for example.
I think it’s safe to call them “in tech”, in that case. Calling them “technical” is a different story, though.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Yes. It's the industry.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:27 pm

I don’t like these answers.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:58 pm

If I was the cfo of a manufacturing company I wouldn't be in accounting, I'd be in manufacturing

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:38 am

I’m careful with how I word what I do. I always say “I work for a hospital system” and do not say “I’m in healthcare”

I don’t want people thinking I’m a doctor or HCW immediately.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:40 am

Hol’ up. You don’t think you know everything there is to know about healthcare just because you work in that industry? Do you not know how the internet works, bro?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 am

I’m careful with how I word what I do. I always say “I work for a hospital system” and do not say “I’m in healthcare”

I don’t want people thinking I’m a doctor or HCW immediately.
I've always said that I work in healthcare, but also mention that it's in IS. I don't think that's unreasonable.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:54 am

Hol’ up. You don’t think you know everything there is to know about healthcare just because you work in that industry? Do you not know how the internet works, bro?
You don't need to be in the industry to know everything about it.
Just have a relative that does.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:10 am

If I was the cfo of a manufacturing company I wouldn't be in accounting, I'd be in manufacturing
If you were a sales rep for Amazon AWS. Are you in Sales or in Tech?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:14 am

I would say I'm a sales worker in the tech industry.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:24 am

i suppose i am coming from my accounting background. it's common to say what industry you've been in because the accounting varies so much from industry to industry. I think sales would just be sales