Job and General Employment Thread

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Thank you cards need to die. There’s no reason for them to be part of our social contract.

Either something is a gift or it isn’t. If it IS, then you don’t expect anything in return. That’s how gifts work.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:39 pm

They're a pleasantry, not something to be expected.

I don't think we're far apart, but you seem to be lobbying for the complete removal of a nicety whose only downside exists in your head.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm not a fan of thank you cards, whether given or received, but my wife is big time on them.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:44 pm

The issue I have with them is the expectation/obligation of it, not necessarily that it exists.

There's still a significant subset of people who will get offended if you don't send a thank you note or anything like that, which makes it feel like an obligation. I think we would be fine doing away with the obligation.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:45 pm

It definitely is a bit antiquated but they also have their place. I'm knee-deep in thank you card hell right now following the wedding.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 pm

The issue I have with them is the expectation/obligation of it, not necessarily that it exists.

There's still a significant subset of people who will get offended if you don't send a thank you note or anything like that, which makes it feel like an obligation. I think we would be fine doing away with the obligation.
This. It's an additional nicety if you want to send and are harmless, but if someone is expecting them, then f you.

I don't expect them what so ever and rarely send them myself. If my wife wants to send, then so be it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:49 pm

I give thank you cards the giant "meh". If they're hand written and personalized, then they get bumped from "meh" to "awww, nice...".

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:52 pm

I give thank you cards the giant "meh". If they're hand written and personalized, then they get bumped from "meh" to "awww, nice...".
If they aren't handwritten and personalized, what the **** are you doing? Thank you cards are reserved for major life events, not something like a birthday present. And you have to handwrite it otherwise it's a waste of a stamp. They have their place and are appreciated.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:58 pm

i don't have any issue with them - I'd prefer weddings to shed the thank you notes. I think they're a nice touch when unexpected. They are expected at weddings and lose any meaning imo. Also I know that they're rifling off hundreds of them and not having fun doing it

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:58 pm

Source of the post Also I know that they're rifling off hundreds of them and not having fun doing it
Correct.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:02 pm

I told my mom that my current job is wearing on me and may be looking elsewhere soon. She said she'd keep her ears open. Fast forward to Sunday and I'm talking to a guy who says there's a position open at our customer, and I know the hiring manager. Very strange turn of events, and would be a pretty neat opportunity if it works out.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:35 pm

I don't think we're far apart, but you seem to be lobbying for the complete removal of a nicety whose only downside exists in your head.
I need my wife to see everyone around her not doing it
anymore so she can stop bugging me about it, and so that my kids dont get indoctrinated into it. if a group of internet strangers can’t help me, I’m out of options.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:39 pm

I need my wife to see everyone around her not doing it
anymore so she can stop bugging me about it, and so that my kids dont get indoctrinated into it. if a group of internet strangers can’t help me, I’m out of options.
Must be a female thing, because I had no idea thank you cards existed outside weddings and large gifts before I was married.

Stand your ground, tell her if she wants to write thank you cards it's her choice but you are not getting involved. The beer is colder in the doghouse anyway.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:48 pm

:fist:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:49 pm

I’ll never write a thank you card for the remainder of my life

I also thank god every day that mrs meow isn’t into thank you cards either

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:51 pm

I guess if it’s a thing where my wife makes my kids do it, it does teach them gratitude and respectful behavior. You have to overdue it to get the message through sometimes. It’s like the curse word thing. You train restraint and situational awareness by stigmatizing arbitrary groups of syllables. Makes no sense in grownup land but sometimes you gotta add some weights onto the bat when you’re on deck.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:53 pm

i don't have any issue with them - I'd prefer weddings to shed the thank you notes. I think they're a nice touch when unexpected. They are expected at weddings and lose any meaning imo. Also I know that they're rifling off hundreds of them and not having fun doing it
This is it.

I've received unexpected one-off thank you notes and found them to be really meaningful. Otherwise, I don't need your run-of-the-mill box-checker

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:54 pm

good takes only here

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea to have kids write thank you letters. Probably a good thing.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:13 pm

Another good take

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:35 pm

I think my brain is cooked. I was 5 minutes late to a meeting this morning because I was watching the trash truck outside.
Nah. Trash trucks are cool.

One of my favorite stories from law school is that during my time there, Pitt knocked down the buildings next door to build the Sennott Square building. There was a giant excavator with a claw ripping the old building apart. And there were like 100 male law students and professors standing in the law school's lobby watching raptly through the windows. A couple of the female students were walking past the crowd (which had me in it, of course), and I heard one of them say, "Ugh. Boys and toys." :lol:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:40 pm

The garbage truck (who tf calls it a trash truck) was the highlight of my quarantine from march-may 2020.

Me and my then two year old ran to the door every Thursday morning and watched it. And every other Thursday it came again in the afternoon!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Trash truck is fewer syllables than garbage truck. Get educated, you mutant

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 am

I take two days off and come back to 3 days of back-to-back meetings, 10 different fires to put out, and an obscene amount of slack messages. Yay... Feel so rested...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:16 am

I take two days off and come back to 3 days of back-to-back meetings, 10 different fires to put out, and an obscene amount of slack messages. Yay... Feel so rested...
Don't use it as an excuse to not take time off in the future. This is an ongoing battle I have with my wife.