Job and General Employment Thread

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:32 pm

Dickie has been known to GIS once or twice a day

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:10 pm

Today was one of those days were it became supremely apparent how much the work I and my team do gets undermined and manipulated. Hard to go into detail, but honestly it's very demotivating. I am shielding my team from so much just to keep them going, as it's been rough.

It's getting to me and my elevation of items is to deaf ears. I'm just tired.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:32 pm

Power BI? Come work for meow
Isn't that for people who don't know how to program?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:00 am

Nah, Power BI is for data visualization. Since meow can't read, he needs others to put everything into drawings for him to understand.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 am

Had an interview today that I thought went really well. Applied for a different position and the recruiter contacted me to apply and interview for this one instead and it’s been posted for almost 30 days and they’ve had one other candidate and my resume blows his out of the water. Based on the call today I seem like a perfect fit…. now they want me to go through 2 to 4 more rounds of interviews before making a decision and I’m just annoyed.
As a Recruiting guy, I always cringe when a manager keeps adding layers to the interview. Good luck.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:43 am

This is why I love IT. Get everyone in the same room at once and do a roundtable interview. If I need to meet with a manager afterwards as a final step, okay. No reason to stretch **** out unless you're talking a C level position.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:44 am

My only meeting for today just got moved to next week. It's glorious to look at your outlook calendar and not see one meeting scheduled all day.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:24 am

In-Laws are out of town, which means toddler kid is at home causing chaos. One thing I love about my company is that it seems everyone is supportive of days like this, because almost zero is getting done.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:25 am

My only meeting for today just got moved to next week. It's glorious to look at your outlook calendar and not see one meeting scheduled all day.
How do you learn this power?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:30 am

It will probably never happen again haha. I'm also waiting for some other random meeting to pop up today. For right now though...feels good.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 am

I would also like to know this.

I was in back to back meetings from 8am to 930pm with only an hour for dinner. Anyone up for a trade?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:34 am

Have none of you seen the decline button? The power is yours.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:39 am

I was in back to back meetings from 8am to 930pm with only an hour for dinner. Anyone up for a trade?
That's insane. I would have declined multiple meetings if I had that stuff back to back. Especially all that stuff in the evening, unless it's some level 10 emergency.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:48 am

That's insane. I would have declined multiple meetings if I had that stuff back to back. Especially all that stuff in the evening, unless it's some level 10 emergency.
I lead a global team, so evening meetings are part of the job unless I constantly make my team do their evenings. And if I could decline I would. To echo above message, I'm tired.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:51 am

Decline and or delegate. I tell my team I can't be in multiple places at once, and everyone always tries to double book me etc. The frustrating thing is double booking and I get considered critical to both.

I end up messaging the person who sent the meeting second and just outright telling them that if I'm critical, please find OPEN time on my calendar.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:52 am

I lead a global team, so evening meetings are part of the job unless I constantly make my team do their evenings. And if I could decline I would. To echo above message, I'm tired.
We have teams in other parts of the world too (India, Australia, UK). Occasionally we will have to schedule something in the evening (our time) to talk or work through something, but for the most part everyone is considerate of each others time zones.

Most things don't need a meeting honestly. Most things can be solved through slack, or teams, or email.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:55 am

I completely agree with everyone re: declining, time zone, delegation, etc. Anyone want to come say this to my bosses because no one is hearing me and expectations remain the same on meeting attendance. At least my team is saved from most of this as I've made minimal meetings the expectation for them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:56 am

I'll yell at your boss for you, but it may not help you in the long run...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:57 am

I particularly enjoy leading a global team on the EST. I can usually meet with people early morning, or early evening and find a good medium.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:17 am

One of the guys on my team continues to schedule meetings during lunch, Friday afternoon, etc. Gonna have to have a talk with him about it, because none of us are attending any of these.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:21 am

Nah, Power BI is for data visualization. Since meow can't read, he needs others to put everything into drawings for him to understand.
meow loves a good pie chart

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:02 am

Nobody likes pie charts.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:57 pm

Got a call from my old manager, who is the director at the place I've been talking about recently, as he wanted to fill me in on the open position. It sounds like a great fit, and I'd be doing more of what I want to get into. He then went into their compensation package, and basically said it would not only be a substantial raise in salary, but their senior staff also receives bonuses, which are between 15-30% of your base salary. Not only that, but they offer stock options every few years as a retention benefit. I'm still not trying to get my hopes up here, but this could be a monumental move for me if it works out.

obhave

Postby obhave » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:41 pm

What are people's thoughts on pay transparency within a company?