Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Yeah, it’s basically a watered down Facebook.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:42 pm

Much more efficient to find girls you hooked up with 15 years ago though.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 am

The employer that laid me off in August just called saying things were picking back up and they now have openings. The director was the one that called and said they'd love to see me apply. Maybe shouldn't have canned me in the first place and put me on furlough instead.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 am

The employer that laid me off in August just called saying things were picking back up and they now have openings. The director was the one that called and said they'd love to see me apply. Maybe shouldn't have canned me in the first place and put me on furlough instead.
Tell them you want a raise and you ain't applying for anything.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:49 am

Tell them you want a raise and you ain't applying for anything.
They want me to reapply which I don't care for since the voicemail says "that we'd love to see your name to come through". I talked to guys when I was employed about past layoffs and I'm certain I'd be starting back at square one. The only perk of the job would be tuition assistance because I'd like to finish my Bachelors so I can get away from being a tech and move into R&D/engineering

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am

5 years into my gig at a real company after 13 years in the minor leagues...I still don’t think LinkedIn has any actual professional value.

It’s only quality appears to be finding out about the parents of your kids classmates.
I was recruited twice through LinkedIn about 5 years ago. Now, it's political posts, personal posts, and things that if I saw as a recruiter, I wouldn't even waste my time reaching out to that person.

Somewhere people started treating it as Facebook-lite, and I have zero interest in keeping it totally fresh.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Square one after less than a year away? Not sure if that makes sense... is this a big company or a small one?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm

I mean if they're interested in seeing your name come through, sounds like you have leverage to not be back at square one. I'd negotiate the hell out of that.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:42 pm

Square one after less than a year away? Not sure if that makes sense... is this a big company or a small one?
One of the largest international companies. However the branch of this company only has a 3 manufacturing plants globally which mainly deal with the oil and gas industry. So I have concerns about that going south again.
I mean if they're interested in seeing your name come through, sounds like you have leverage to not be back at square one. I'd negotiate the hell out of that.
I think I'll reach out to see what the conditions would be. Would be silly not to, and if I don't like what I hear I'll decline professionally in the case something I'd rather do later on comes up.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:28 pm

5 years into my gig at a real company after 13 years in the minor leagues...I still don’t think LinkedIn has any actual professional value.

It’s only quality appears to be finding out about the parents of your kids classmates.
I was recruited twice through LinkedIn about 5 years ago. Now, it's political posts, personal posts, and things that if I saw as a recruiter, I wouldn't even waste my time reaching out to that person.

Somewhere people started treating it as Facebook-lite, and I have zero interest in keeping it totally fresh.
The election seemed to be the breaking point for LinkedIn as a business oriented website. Similar to my personal policy of unless there's absolutely no other option, not patronizing businesses that put big signs for a candidate out front- even if I agree I'm probably not going to contact you if you post that crap on LinkedIn- because you're probably not a person who can manage not to spew political BS all day in my office.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:28 pm

My LinkedIn feed is still 99% professional. There's one person I know who posts a lot of motivational and current events stuff.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:14 pm

My linked in consists of people I work with posting articles and other people I work with clicking “like”.

Nothing political. Just pure mediocre content.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:21 pm

I’m using it solely to scope out job opportunities, and was told expanding my network was the way to go.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:54 pm

Yup. My last two jobs I have been headhunted through LinkedIn. My current company actually paid a finder's fee as it was a search firm that found me.

My advice always with LinkedIn--keep your profile updated with all of your skills, responsibilities, etc. Treat it as a resume. I don't really ever browse the feed or other nonsense.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 pm

I swear, the literal most annoying trait about a coworker is lack of self awareness. We've been trying to do meetings from Hour:05 to hour:55. So this jabroni just keeps talking at hour:55. Like, dude, SHUT UP.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:39 pm

That's a complicated way of saying the jabroni is still talking at the end of a 50 minute meeting.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:51 pm

I swear, the literal most annoying trait about a coworker is lack of self awareness. We've been trying to do meetings from Hour:05 to hour:55. So this jabroni just keeps talking at hour:55. Like, dude, SHUT UP.
We had a similar dude at my last job. He would show up well after the meeting started, and was always "running late from another meeting." We all knew he wasn't.

With 10 minutes left in the meeting, most of the group is in their phones anyways, checking up on emails, or just checked out mentally. So he would keep quiet all meeting, then right as everybody started closing laptops and grabbing their bags, he'd be the one to start asking 2-3 questions minimum. Every. freaking. time. It would be x:59 and he's still cramming in questions and the presenter is basically trying to shut things down because they have another meeting or just wanted to get the hell out of there because another meeting was coming in. Yes, this company loved meetings. I think most of the people there spent more time in meetings than at their desk.

Towards the end of our time there, it got to be such a joke that people would wait for him to speak up and would even physically turn to him, like "well, we're waiting." I'm not sure what happened to him. Did he transfer? Was he let go? We never got any type of assets back from him when he disappeared, so I'm assuming he transferred when we were restructured. I still don't know, and since it was about 5 years since I last saw him, I probably don't care.

But yes, total lack of self awareness or even awareness for the rest of the group, even towards the end.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:53 pm

One of the guys on my team likes to talk. A lot. After our team meeting ran over two weeks in a row, we started going around the room calling om him first so that we all knew that when time was up, we were done.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Still no word from interview. HR person said I'd find out mid to late this week.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:50 pm

Crazy rebellion from the lowest ranks of the accounting department in this company that I'm working with today. This woman has decided to change the naming convention of units in their business and it will break their financials (it's an international manufacturer and retailer of a medical devices) and she has this "I'm sticking out my tongue at you" attitude about it. I had to leave early today but I'm looking forward to someone lowering the hammer on her tomorrow.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:52 pm

Accounting drama! Yes!

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:03 pm

Accounting drama! Yes!
I told her that what she wanted to do wouldn't work and she said "It's already done. :)."

I've never met her in person but she sounds like Lou Ann Poovie from Gomer Pyle.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 am

so the light switch in my office is kinda broke. Maybe it's not broke, but it's definitely not functioning the way that it should.
The motion detector part works and kicks the lights on. Problem is I like working with no lights since I have plenty of light coming in from the outside, so 90% of the time I'll turn the lights off as soon as I walk in.

But if I try to turn it off, it does nothing.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:26 am

so the light switch in my office is kinda broke. Maybe it's not broke, but it's definitely not functioning the way that it should.
The motion detector part works and kicks the lights on. Problem is I like working with no lights since I have plenty of light coming in from the outside, so 90% of the time I'll turn the lights off as soon as I walk in.

But if I try to turn it off, it does nothing.
I have the opposite problem. There's some light coming in, but not enough to turn the lights on automatically. I try to force them on, but have to press the button a few times before it activates. Maybe a long press does the job?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:31 am

Recruiter told me to reach out to them if I hadn't heard by today. Hadn't heard, so I assume it's bad news and am preparing for the worst, which is a "no thanks, we're going in another direction."