Job and General Employment Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Humbug.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Hey, I listen to Christmas music also, but I wear headphones like a decent person.
This. Also applies to music in general, IMO. Nobody in my area wants to hear my Slayer, so I wear headphones. I expect the same courtesy.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 pm

That's their loss if they don't want to listen to Slayer.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:51 pm

That's their loss if they don't want to listen to Slayer.
I agree, but I'm not sure management would appreciate walking into work to "WAAAAARRRRRRR ENNNNNSSSEEEMMMMBBLLLLEEEEEE!!!"

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Ah, reminds me of one of my favorite memories from riding the bus in high school.... I was wearing earphones, but blasting Death.... Got quite a few looks when it got to SPIIIRITUUAAAALLLL HEEEAAAALLLLLLINNNNGGGGGG

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Another Death fan?! MY MAN! :fist: (RIP Chuck)

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:28 pm

My cube neighbor listens to whatever Pittsburgh station plays classical symphony. We are probably only in the office at the same time 1 or 2 times a week. Problem is this time of year there are only so many classical Christmas songs you can loop...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 am

We're in that sweet, sweet time of year where my 2018 retirement contributions are over, so the final two paychecks are extra padded.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 am

Our biggest customer is visiting today, and we had an emergency meeting Monday morning to get documents in order for the visit. I had a few things on my action items list, the largest of which was to write a new work instruction for a new QC technique that we're going to implement. I sent that out Monday evening for review.

I get a somewhat angry e-mail last night from our QA manager asking why the work instruction hasn't been written yet... I held off saying anything until this morning. I attached the sent e-mail and said "See attached from Monday." Not my fault that you don't read your e-mail and save the scrambling until the day before.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 am

Our biggest customer is visiting today, and we had an emergency meeting Monday morning to get documents in order for the visit. I had a few things on my action items list, the largest of which was to write a new work instruction for a new QC technique that we're going to implement. I sent that out Monday evening for review.

I get a somewhat angry e-mail last night from our QA manager asking why the work instruction hasn't been written yet... I held off saying anything until this morning. I attached the sent e-mail and said "See attached from Monday." Not my fault that you don't read your e-mail and save the scrambling until the day before.
If it weren't for quality department personnel and program managers, my job would be 1000% easier.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:35 am

She came over to my desk this morning saying that it wasn't written the way QA likes it to be written and that she'll need to edit most of it. I said, "Well, I did send it on Monday, so you've had time before now to review and edit it." Then she stormed off muttering under her breath... meowshrug.txt

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:09 am

She came over to my desk this morning saying that it wasn't written the way QA likes it to be written and that she'll need to edit most of it. I said, "Well, I did send it on Monday, so you've had time before now to review and edit it." Then she stormed off muttering under her breath... meowshrug.txt

Why didn’t the Quality department write it themselves since it is a new quality SOP?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:13 am

This is exactly why I save all of my emails and BCC myself on anything that I think may be important to hold onto for longer than a few weeks. I get so much joy out of attaching an old email to prove I did everything correctly. It's the ultimate "**** you, I'm right" move you can make without being overtly confrontational.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 am

Why didn’t the Quality department write it themselves since it is a new quality SOP?
Our quality department is a department of 1 paper pusher and 2 QC techs that do nothing but inspection of parts. The one paper pusher is lazy, so our VP asked me to write it so it got done. I obliged since it's our largest customer and I developed the testing method.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 am

It's the ultimate "**** you, I'm right" move you can make without being overtly confrontational.
It really is wonderful. It's the meowshrugs of work e-mails. :lol:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:30 am

Probably the most high-visibility part of my job at this company is finding doctors, as the specific specialty we are looking for is especially scarce and it's a very competitive market. Plus, we can't grow if we don't have providers.

I've had a real nice run over the last month or two finding some potential candidates for tough markets. This morning, our president (who is a very generous guy but can be very intense if you're not doing your job) saw me in the conference room. He goes, "Hey Matt, I saw the updated candidate list last night--that's awesome." He proceeded to give me a bro hug, and then asked me if I was on a bonus plan. When I told him no, he just said "Well I'm going to make sure you get a nice one this year."

Damn....that feels good man. He's a 63 year old guy that has been in the high executive leadership world for a long time, so coming from him it feels great.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:36 am

:fist:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 am

good stuff

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 am

And herein lies the difference between engineers and the rest of the world. HR man shaf is congratulated and given a bro hug by the prez for a job well done (hat-tip, btw). Engineers are given nothing as if perfection is expected all the time, and given **** by all the other departments when something goes wrong, even if it's not engineering's fault. And as c2i has shown, we do all the other department's work for them.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:26 am

wah

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:31 am

And herein lies the difference between engineers and the rest of the world. HR man shaf is congratulated and given a bro hug by the prez for a job well done (hat-tip, btw). Engineers are given nothing as if perfection is expected all the time, and given **** by all the other departments when something goes wrong, even if it's not engineering's fault. And as c2i has shown, we do all the other department's work for them.

Not an engineer, in the same boat.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 am

wah
let me grind my gears

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 am

wah

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:32 am

We have a similar situation with finance at my company.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

everyone gets crap, breaking news