Job and General Employment Thread

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 pm

This came up today. I have a hypothesis

Somewhere between 80-90% of breaches of email etiquette (fonts, backgrounds, replying all, etc) in the corporate setting are committed by women. Change my mind.

No offense to the corporate ladies in here like llipgh, I know she is not one of them :wink:
Someone hit reply all on a random distribution list. Someone else asked "please stop replying all".

A third reply from a woman "sorry about that I didn't realize"
A fourth from a woman "lol well that worked well :-P"

I'd have fired the fourth person, honestly.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:23 pm

This came up today. I have a hypothesis

Somewhere between 80-90% of breaches of email etiquette (fonts, backgrounds, replying all, etc) in the corporate setting are committed by women. Change my mind.

No offense to the corporate ladies in here like llipgh, I know she is not one of them :wink:
In my experience, the Font Foul and Stationery Foul have been committed almost exclusively by women. I worked with one woman - who was the office manager/CEO's quasi-PA, so she sent a lot of all hands emails - who was a particularly bad offender here. After a year or so, I asked her to send me a blank email, just type my address in the To field and hit send, and the damn thing was nearly 1 mb. She had a graphics-heavy stationery, and because she couldn't bank on recipients having the same font pack as she had, she created her signature as an image file and inserted it into each message.... except she created it at 1920x1080 and corner dragged it down to email size.

:face:

The Reply All Foul has been more of a 50/50 split that seems driven more by professional experience level than anything else.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Is the person who replies all asking to stop replying all a hero. Or a zero?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Is the person who replies all asking to stop replying all a hero. Or a zero?
If it is a senior manager or executive sternly telling people to stop... A hero. Some random schmuck? Zero

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:33 am

Going back to yesterday's conversation.

We have been having issues with our new providers not responding to the welcome email from our credentialing manager. I finally got a look at the email she is sending.

For starters, this is the subject line (bear in mind, these are doctors she is sending this to):

WELCOME TO <ORGANIZATION>!!!!!!

The body of the email uses a huge font, and it includes several smiley emojis. Again, this is an initial welcoming/onboarding email for our new clinicians. I had to explain to her that she should remove the capital letters/exclamation points from her initial email because those are two of the main triggers of spam filters.

It pains me that I even have to explain this.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am

I was invited to my alma mater to give a talk to the senior class of chemistry students about my career and what I/my company do/does. It was a lot more packed than I thought it would be. I figured 5 or 6 students in a classroom, but there were 25-30 students and the entire chemistry faculty there and they had me in a small lecture classroom. Kind of cool.

Anyways, I gave the professor that asked me to do the talk permission to give the students my e-mail address if they had any questions. Only one kid has e-mailed me, so no big deal, but he's been relentless. He asked if there were any job openings and I said that at the moment there weren't. A few days later a position opened up for an entry level chemist, so I figured I'd e-mail him back quick to let him know.... I have been bombarded with e-mails from this kid since. Asking who to address the cover letter to (as if that makes a difference), asking what he should ask for as far as salary is concerned, asking when the start date will be, should I have letters of rec ready to go, "I want to get my application in today if possible." Right, because they're going to see your application and just halt the process of even looking...

The worst part was, Friday at 5 o'clock, I shut down my work computer and go home. I casually check my e-mail from my phone on weekends, but I never really respond to anything. He sent me 3 e-mails Friday night, and then I wake up Sunday morning to a Linkedin request from him. I figured it was best to let it sit for a bit, but I'm one of those guys that notifications on my phone drive me a little bonkers. I don't like the red numbers for whatever reason, so I go in about 3 o'clock and accept his request. IMMEDIATELY he sends me the contents of his 3 e-mails from Friday night via a Linkedin message. Dude... it's Sunday. There's no one at work to even get your application. It can wait. I understand being excited about a job right out of college, but holy sh*t.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 am

You done messed up a-a-ron

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am

a UPS student with poor social interactions? Why I never

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 am

Clarion, bro.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:06 am

thanks for ruining my well crafted joke

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 am

Exactly what a penn stater would do, amirite?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:56 am

I kind of give the kid slack. He probably has no idea about correct protocol, and I'm sure he's worried about the challenges of a job post-collegiate life.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am

I was willing to cut him slack until he sent me a linkedin message on Sunday wondering why I hadn't responded to his e-mail from Friday night... That kind of tipped it over the edge for me.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am

He's going to have a real hard time when he finds out c2i wasted his life getting a PhD...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm

The biggest part of my job has me communicating with doctors on a pretty frequent basis. One of my colleagues reached out to a doctor that she has never met in her life (a doctor that I had lured to the organization). As I am scrolling down through the email, I notice that this is how she addressed this particular doctor (without any previous communication, mind you):

"Hi Doc,"

My jaw dropped when I saw that. Even the doctors that I know really well now, I would never refer to them as "Doc" like effing Bugs Bunny in an email. @LITT, with your shared healthcare experience, am I overreacting or is that as dumb of a move as I think it is?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm

That's a bit of an overreaction, IMO.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I've worked with doctors long enough to know that many of them are touchy about that sort of thing. There are some that I refer to by their first name, others that I will use "Dr. *first name*", and if I have never talked to them, the customary "Dr. *last name*". Leading off with "Hi Doc" as a representative of a healthcare organization is a bad look IMO.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:23 pm

5.5/10 Neds

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Every doctor I come across, I call "doc"...including the three we have on staff at my job...

I also don't have a lot reverence for my fellow man...we're all just humans...not too many people are "better" than others, doctors, professors, people that lead churches whatever they're called, priests, ministers, whatever...you're just some guy...some guys get called "doc"...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:33 pm

I've worked with doctors long enough to know that many of them are touchy about that sort of thing. There are some that I refer to by their first name, others that I will use "Dr. *first name*", and if I have never talked to them, the customary "Dr. *last name*". Leading off with "Hi Doc" as a representative of a healthcare organization is a bad look IMO.
I guess it depends on the setting, because I've worked in healthcare for over a decade myself and know many doctors who wouldn't really consider this to be an issue.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Both fair points. NTP, I hadn't realized you worked in healthcare too. There's a lot of us on 5AF that are in that sector :)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:47 pm

Even though I'm an engineer, my team is partaking in an on-call rotation for the items that we own (not much). It's opt-in, so any of us can get out of it whenever we want, but nobody was going to do it until management approved actual on-call pay for it (shocker, I know).

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:49 pm

I will only answer to Doctor Count Two Infinitum from here on out.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:49 pm

leading off with 'hi doc' with someone youve never met before is a toss up. ive never actually used any sort of greeting and 'doc' together - its usually first name or dr. last name. but to each their own

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:34 pm

I just today greeted a veterinarian that I know from drinking at a Pub, with “Hiya Doc!” And he was pleased to see me and chat.