Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Good stuff nobody will you still be able to post on 5af?
:lol: Getting right to the important stuff, eh?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:08 pm

:lol:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:43 pm

I'll be able to post more since I'm wfh... :slug:

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:23 pm

But only during breaks, right?
Congrats nobody. Now get that kid on a diet

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 am

Congrats nobody! Great news

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:49 am

I found out today I’ve been “reactivated” as of 4/13, and will receive my regular compensation and benefits as of that date. I’m still at home not doing anything indefinitely. :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:51 am

Source of the post I’m still at home not doing anything indefinitely.
Congratulations, you're now a politician! :thumb:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 am

I found out today I’ve been “reactivated” as of 4/13, and will receive my regular compensation and benefits as of that date. I’m still at home not doing anything indefinitely. :thumb:
:thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:46 am

Nice. :thumb:
In how many different states is that company car in right now though? I have to assume you chopped it already...

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Before this started I had a friend going through the interview process at a start-up. They offered him a position, he signed the offer, then put notice in at current job.

Covid shutdown happened, start-up backed out and he went back apologizing to current company. They let him stay, but man that’s gotta suck.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:58 pm

Oooooof.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:23 pm

Before this started I had a friend going through the interview process at a start-up. They offered him a position, he signed the offer, then put notice in at current job.

Covid shutdown happened, start-up backed out and he went back apologizing to current company. They let him stay, but man that’s gotta suck.
That's rough. I interviewed for a really good position 2 months ago with a manufacturer and didn't get it. It was a bummer. But I found out today the guy that got the gig was let go today so I lucked out in the end

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:35 am

That's rough. I interviewed for a really good position 2 months ago with a manufacturer and didn't get it. It was a bummer. But I found out today the guy that got the gig was let go today so I lucked out in the end
My cousin hired somebody onto his technical team two weeks before COVID hit, and the kid ended up being the first to be let go. Felt sorry for him and anyone else in that position.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:43 am

It's a continual exhibit that you should never be loyal to a company, honestly. I felt bad because I told the kid that if he's looking for a job, he's already left the current company mentally and he should accept the new offer, but then I didn't because the new job was total trash to hire someone knowing something was rumbling and they couldn't support him.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:47 am

A former colleague, unceremoniously fired in August, has been doing freelance work locally while applying for similar positions at colleges around the country.

She gets a position up in Pennsylvania (York) and is to start March 16th. She and her husband packed up and moved there the week before, and then the COVID stuff started up. Her college went work from home on March 16th. The only time she's been on campus was to pick up her work laptop and photo ID. She's never worked with any of her department in person yet, only by Zoom.

So weird.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:11 am

I submitted what will hopefully be my last PhD manuscript to my boss, and was pretty happy with it thinking things look great. He responded with "This image looks ugly compared to [insert favorite post doc]'s image". And I want to bury my head in the sand now. Lovely Friday to you as well. :face:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:24 am

Speaking of work from home, and I don't know if this should go here or not, but what do you recommend for an office chair?

I have a 20 year old disintegrating Walmart chair that is slowly killing me.

I've been looking at Herman Miller Aeron chairs for years now, but can't quite pull the trigger on a $1000 office chair. Even with my #CovidCash. What are some other alternatives.

(And the Aeron won't be available for another six weeks)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:32 am

We have something similar to the Aeron chairs at work. They're decent, but if I'm buying my own, I'm getting a really nice executive chair. La-Z-Boy sells their own through Sam's Club, apparently, and if they're anything like their other furniture, they're comfortable as hell.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:34 am

Gotta go with the nicest executive chair you can find. I find myself never skimping with that, since I use it for more than just working.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am

All right, Mrs. Morkle! Hubba hubba. Ow! Ow! Ow! *other sexually suggestive noises*

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am

I submitted what will hopefully be my last PhD manuscript to my boss, and was pretty happy with it thinking things look great. He responded with "This image looks ugly compared to [insert favorite post doc]'s image". And I want to bury my head in the sand now. Lovely Friday to you as well. :face:
Fun times.... the boss's favorite thing seems to be universal in grad school. Our guy's name was Justin, and we jokingly ordered and wore WWJD bracelets until our boss finally asked someone why we were wearing them. The guy said "Ohhhh... just a reminder that if I'm ever stuck to just think, 'What would Justin do?'" Our boss did not find it funny.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:01 am

Speaking of work from home, and I don't know if this should go here or not, but what do you recommend for an office chair?

I have a 20 year old disintegrating Walmart chair that is slowly killing me.

I've been looking at Herman Miller Aeron chairs for years now, but can't quite pull the trigger on a $1000 office chair. Even with my #CovidCash. What are some other alternatives.

(And the Aeron won't be available for another six weeks)
Could look into gaming chairs? Secret labs is a good company and have heard great things about the chairs. They run little under half the price as the one you quoted. Obviously it won't look as professional, but comfortwise it might work well.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:19 am

Fun times.... the boss's favorite thing seems to be universal in grad school. Our guy's name was Justin, and we jokingly ordered and wore WWJD bracelets until our boss finally asked someone why we were wearing them. The guy said "Ohhhh... just a reminder that if I'm ever stuck to just think, 'What would Justin do?'" Our boss did not find it funny.
We make comments all the time in front of the boss: I know these aren't as pretty as [post docs]. I tried to reach [post docs] level and sadly this is best I could get, etc. And the favorite is just the nicest, very humble person. And his stuff does look amazing! But it's a different system that is inherently pretty, nothing I can do about that.

To add to my crappy Friday, we got the classic reviewer comments today for a different manuscript that was - 2 reviewers suggested minor revisions, and a 3rd reviewer said "do not publish" with some brutal feedback. Can I drink yet?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:24 am

It’s Friday. And it’s a quarantine Friday. Drinking is acceptable.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:26 am

Scheduled a pickup at Dancing Gnome at 5:30 giddyup