Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:37 am

For quality control, this call may be monitored... dodint.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:12 am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/opinions ... index.html

in academia I know it goes the opposite, but was thinking of the child-free posters when reading this.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:22 am

I read a similar article the other day. Honestly, it sounds like a lot of these companies and employees just flat out suck. The companies that allow it to go on suck, and the employees that take advantage of it suck.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:26 am

I for one am shocked that a media website would deliberately publish an article with an inflammatory headline

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:26 am

We had a major go-live this morning, and the PM, Sr. Director sponsoring it, and application support person assigned to the project are all out of the office today. :lol: Who the **** schedules a go-live for a day in which you're out of the office?!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:32 am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/opinions ... index.html

in academia I know it goes the opposite, but was thinking of the child-free posters when reading this.
The headline should have been:

“This Just In: Pandemic Sucks for Everyone, But The Suck Is Different Depending On Your Own Circumstances And Life Choices”

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:33 am

Rare words of wisdom from meow.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:01 am

Yeah, not a whole lot new in that piece. That's just the way it is, pandemic or not.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:17 am

I've had to leave work early to get my kid from daycare or school because she's sick, but I've always made sure to pick up the slack after hours so that this kind of thing never happens. The last thing you want is management coming down hard on you and being less likely to accept you leaving early at times.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:27 am

We've probably discussed this before, but I am personally somewhat jaded by my experience in the military. Kids were a meal ticket for getting out of anything and everything. PT, duty, training, deployments, everything. Now that I'm in a real job it is largely a non-factor. But I've been virtually teamed since 2016 so I don't 'see' my co-workers or their effort on a daily basis. I'm sure this is a lot more stressful for people that have incentive based compensation pay structures.

Due to realignment and other factors my team is entirely male now, making it even less of a concern for me. Though one of my best guys is about to go on paternity leave soon.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 am

The sex is rewarding enough to fulfill the evolutionary purpose,, there is no need to subsidize overpopulation at any level of society in its current state...

meow

Postby meow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 am

The world needs more meow genes and less of everyone else’s genes

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:14 am

Yeah, that's fine, there are some good people out there that should be making kids on occasion...but the vast majority of people are just never gonna do anything useful...they just get in the way...

meow

Postby meow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:15 am

Wait. Jeans. I meant jeans.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:31 am

That article hits home big time. My entire (child free) career - all you have to do is say the word "kid" and it's a get out of jail free card. And it's also been made very clear that my [insert child free choice here] does not have the same importance, and therefore is able to be judged by someone else as to whether it's allowed w/r/t work.

Same thing during the pandemic. I have to take trainings and fall all over myself offering alternative work arrangements, but I'm generally expected to be available 24/7. :thumbdown:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 am

That just reminded me of something. Now that I work virtually I don't have to deal with the persecution of being a non-smoker. Would've been nice to get a 10 minute break every two hours for my whole career before this.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:02 am

Source of the post Would've been nice to get a 10 minute break every two hours for my whole career before this.
:lol:

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:08 am

For me “kids” isn’t an excuse to miss a deadline. It’s more of give me or anyone else a break on strict times for things. You know we’re gonna work and perform. It doesn’t matter if I’m there at 7, 8, or 9.
Now I am a firm believer that if performance is suffering then that flexibility will most likely need reigned in. Other than that, get your job done, and who cares about the rest.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:09 am

Source of the post Now I am a firm believer that if performance is suffering then that flexibility will most likely need reigned in. Other than that, get your job done, and who cares about the rest.
:thumb:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:11 am

Now I am a firm believer that if performance is suffering then that flexibility will most likely need reigned in. Other than that, get your job done, and who cares about the rest.
I agree. Except I was explicitly told we have to offer/allow flexibility no matter what, no questions asked.

Edit: But the work still has to get done. So if they aren't there to do it, then guess who has to do it?
Last edited by mamaemeritus on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:11 am

For me “kids” isn’t an excuse to miss a deadline. It’s more of give me or anyone else a break on strict times for things. You know we’re gonna work and perform. It doesn’t matter if I’m there at 7, 8, or 9.
That's how I feel about it. I've gone the route of just blocking time off in my calendar calling it work time. During that time I am unavailable with the exception of Teams and I use it. Whether it's for a kid or not.

I have a kid, it's a struggle, but nobody needs to know the challenges I'm dealing with outside of it being a life challenge and I go above and beyond to make it so it changes nothing, with the exception of meeting availability.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am

The partner I work for has been dodinting about work from home for the past week. Just on a power trip. So I'll probably have to go in next week. Which isn't really a legal thing as far as I know but whatever. Annoying because I'm actually more productive from home

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 am

My company is a mess so I started applying everywhere and anywhere last week. Yesterday I was invited to complete a first round online interview. Apparently it’s an automated things because I have until tomorrow night at 11 to do the interview. Questions will pop up on the screen for me to answer and before submitting the interview I’ll be able to watch my responses and do retakes if desired.

This is some of the weirdest **** I’ve ever heard of.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:50 am

My company is a mess so I started applying everywhere and anywhere last week. Yesterday I was invited to complete a first round online interview. Apparently it’s an automated things because I have until tomorrow night at 11 to do the interview. Questions will pop up on the screen for me to answer and before submitting the interview I’ll be able to watch my responses and do retakes if desired.

This is some of the weirdest **** I’ve ever heard of.
The idea is flexibility for you. The downside is the total lack of personal touch.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:54 am

It's gonna be like that interview from Middleditch & Schwartz or whatever that improv thing on Netflix is...get your gazelle skills ready...