Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Company is doing a holiday wellness challenge. Weigh in on Nov 18, then again on Jan 10. Provided you log exercise (which they define as activity you typically wouldn't do for 30 minutes) 3x a week, weigh yourself weekly, and don't gain more than 2 lbs over that period, you get $50. Lose 5 lbs or more and you get entered into a drawing for an apple watch. Kinda cool.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:46 pm

I am not a manager or have any HR/supervisory duties, however two developers on my team have come to me and asked for help essentially with extensions on their Visas. I don't know why they come to me. I'm just the product manager of the team.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:19 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm

I love when they all try to do the math in that episode to see how much Pam weighs.

The nice part about it, is that I'm on a trip right before the official weigh in. Lots of salt and beer should do the trick to get that starting weight up.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm

I responded to an internal Solicitation of Interest about a month ago. It's for a promotion where I would setup a small department in our division and would have two analysts assigned to me. We would perform as a roving audit team doing pre-inspections for network accreditation.

My boss's boss called me today and said HR knocked down my application due to a lack of experience. Because this was an informal SOI not affiliated with an actual job announcement I did not custom tailor my resume to meet the position description and/or job announcement..

The kicker is that they said I couldn't perform it at the GS-13 level, but they worked it out that I could slide into it at my current pay rate (GS-12) and do the work unofficially to gain the experience. They would just move me from doing my current work to the auditor work without actually documenting it. I told them thanks but no thanks, announce it publicly and I'll compete for it against everyone and likely win with a fully prepared resume.
It was announced, and I applied. It's a better job, but requires up to 60% global travel. The announcement is very narrowly tailored, requires a Top Secret clearance and is only posted to six cities. There are only three people I know of that qualify including myself, and I'm not sure if they're going to want to swallow that travel pill.
I did custom tailor my resume to this, down to the word. Just fired it off, we'll see what happens.

I'm still taking the bar exam in February, but a job with this amount of travel I won't be able to stand up my one-man firm. But, with the promotion I'll be making over six figures within about 2-3 years. It'll take me a decade to get that profitable in a sole-proprietorship firm, if ever. I'd plug away at this until my wife has her career up and running and then maybe I'll retire or go back to a less demanding role like my current position.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:38 pm

I responded to an internal Solicitation of Interest about a month ago. It's for a promotion where I would setup a small department in our division and would have two analysts assigned to me. We would perform as a roving audit team doing pre-inspections for network accreditation.

My boss's boss called me today and said HR knocked down my application due to a lack of experience. Because this was an informal SOI not affiliated with an actual job announcement I did not custom tailor my resume to meet the position description and/or job announcement..

The kicker is that they said I couldn't perform it at the GS-13 level, but they worked it out that I could slide into it at my current pay rate (GS-12) and do the work unofficially to gain the experience. They would just move me from doing my current work to the auditor work without actually documenting it. I told them thanks but no thanks, announce it publicly and I'll compete for it against everyone and likely win with a fully prepared resume.
It was announced, and I applied. It's a better job, but requires up to 60% global travel. The announcement is very narrowly tailored, requires a Top Secret clearance and is only posted to six cities. There are only three people I know of that qualify including myself, and I'm not sure if they're going to want to swallow that travel pill.
I did custom tailor my resume to this, down to the word. Just fired it off, we'll see what happens.

I'm still taking the bar exam in February, but a job with this amount of travel I won't be able to stand up my one-man firm. But, with the promotion I'll be making over six figures within about 2-3 years. It'll take me a decade to get that profitable in a sole-proprietorship firm, if ever. I'd plug away at this until my wife has her career up and running and then maybe I'll retire or go back to a less demanding role like my current position.
Good Luck!

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Good Luck!
Thanks. It's fun pursusing these things while I'm already in a good position. Either outcome is positive.
That said, I've applied to about 5 positions this year and have been stonewalled on all of them, not even an interview, the rejections are uncomfortable even if they're inconsequential.

We'll see, I hope they take their time so I don't have to shift to a new job right before taking the bar.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Writing documentation stinks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm

What? No. It's great, almost cathartic.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Not when you're typing a procedure for an expensive piece of electrical equipment that requires roughly 60 hours of test time. Also attempting to type it with a guy that has zero experience typing documentation.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:28 am

What? No. It's great, almost cathartic.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:33 am

Working from home is pretty nice except for when your upstairs neighbor decides to listen to a podcast on her bluetooth speaker at full blast at 7 in the morning.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am

Got an invite from the CIO's admin for a congratulatory lunch, along with other IS award winners from 2019. I'm not sure that I really want to even go, though.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am

Writing documentation stinks.
:thumb: I avoid it at all costs.

I once had to write a course training manual for Java Server Pages while I was learning it myself. Gee, thanks.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:17 am

To be fair, nobody who has to write anything involving jsp is going to be happy about it.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:27 am

To be fair, nobody who has to write anything involving jsp is going to be happy about it.
I think that was in 2001 or so. Do people still write web apps in JSP? I'm sure there are old apps still running out there.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:30 am

I would bet any amount of money on it still being used, based solely on what kind of garbage we see coming in to work from small mom and pop shop app writers.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:31 am

I love when they all try to do the math in that episode to see how much Pam weighs.
the following is absolutely a true story. in early 1996 we went to a Bruins game at the Fleet Centahhhhh, this was during the days when the Brooons were quite bad. we were up in the nosebleeds with not many people in our section. in front of us was a group of about a dozen guys and one girl. they were all talking about a girl they knew who was obviously overweight. one of the guys, Tony, came up with a plan: "here's what we do. we all get in da cahhh and we go to da weigh station. now, we know how much we weigh and we know how much da cahhh weighs so if if we just subtract all that we'll know how much she weighs!"
you seriously can't make this stuff up. :lol:

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am

my SO's company just took over Oppenheimer. because of this they are changing their PTO policy to match Oppenheimer. you no longer accrue vacation or sick time. as long as your work gets done you can take off as much time as you want. I predict a sh*t show from here on out. :scared:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am

There is at least one other person in this thread whose company went that route, as well. I'd be interested in hearing how that has worked thus far.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:42 am

I almost want to say it was Factorial whose company was doing that. At least he's here to correct me if I'm wrong.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:47 am

I almost want to say it was Factorial whose company was doing that. At least he's here to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, they did that a few years ago and told us how great it was but it's all about reducing their liability of unused vacation when people quit, etc.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am

Wait, so if you're Factorial, what's up with the new account?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:51 am

Wait, so if you're Factorial, what's up with the new account?
I was locked out of my old one and decided to start anew.