Job and General Employment Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:02 am

If I were in this situation, I would explain to my boss how much work this project would be. I would then explain that other projects would need to be reprioritized because of this and I cannot do this new project along with my usual responsibilities. I would not expect additional pay but I also wouldn’t expect to be able to do this project in addition to my normal workload.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:08 pm

When you say “do this for free”- how are you paid currently? Salaried?
Yes salaried and very much not in my job description in any way, shape, or form.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:46 pm

If I were in this situation, I would explain to my boss how much work this project would be. I would then explain that other projects would need to be reprioritized because of this and I cannot do this new project along with my usual responsibilities. I would not expect additional pay but I also wouldn’t expect to be able to do this project in addition to my normal workload.
I like this approach. Thanks!
I may try to get it in writing somewhere that when the trainer position is created that I get the role.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:40 pm

When you say “do this for free”- how are you paid currently? Salaried?
Yes salaried and very much not in my job description in any way, shape, or form.
Do they allow any sort of overtime? I once took on a project out of town with some redistribution of my previous duties to other staff, and was able to negotiate straight time overtime for anything over 45 hours including travel.

Agree with nocera, perhaps they can give whatever portion of your regular duties this will take to other employees.

Definitely include in any future review/increase discussion. In my company, current state, there is no allowance for something immediate to come your way and usually it’s handles with assurances that the boss will take care of you later. Never not been taken care of.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm

In training how to use a new, web based tool

"So if you want to zoom in, you hold down CTRL and hit the plus sign"

"my latency goes sometimes from 8ms to 100ms after it rains."

this guy was built for teaching, that's for sure :roll:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:46 pm

I have a job interview in a half an hour and I'm just not in the right headspace for it at all. Fake it till I make it for thirty minutes I guess.
Good luck fella :thumb:
The person that beat me out for the last promotion was on the interview panel. Fun.

I did okay. I'm sure I came across as depressed, because I'm unusually low in spirits right now and that doesn't go well with my already low-key nature.

I did my best, whatever happens happens. If I get promoted, cool. If I don't I'll have adequate time to work my law stuff on the side. There isn't a losing situation here, which is nice. I've always said job hunting while already in a good job should be fun.
I came in 4th out of 80. Which is the same as coming in 80th, really. :thumbdown:

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:48 pm

My company decided to return their PPP loan and layoff people instead.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 pm

My company decided to return their PPP loan and layoff people instead.
My company took the loan AND laid people off.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:05 am

we got pushed out again. No partial reopening until October 7th

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:39 am

We're full time WFH now, but other teams that aren't are working from home until at least 1/1/21.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:53 am

One of the best things I ever did was punt midway through an interview with Westinghouse after they brought the team I'd be working with down and they all seemed like they were completely miserable human beings who hated working there.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:37 pm

One of the best things I ever did was punt midway through an interview with Westinghouse after they brought the team I'd be working with down and they all seemed like they were completely miserable human beings who hated working there.
Did you just get up a leave?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Did you just get up a leave?
Yeah. "Look, I need to be honest, from speaking with you I can tell this isn't really where I'd want to be" or something along those lines. Told them we should quit wasting all of our time.

If you're a hiring manager and you know you have a morale problem in the department why would you call all your miserable employees in to speak with a candidate?

OTOH, I guess I appreciated their candor. I was in a position of not needing to leave, just felt I saw writing on the wall that never did materialize. I was under the impression at that time that if Westinghouse came calling and was interested in your resume, you'd better go listen to them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:56 pm

My uncle worked for Westinghouse basically from right outside of college until retirement last year.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:18 am

An opportunity I was really excited about, did final interviews and all that. And they said it will be a month before they decide. :|

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:09 am

An opportunity I was really excited about, did final interviews and all that. And they said it will be a month before they decide. :|
I will never understand how some companies operate efficiently when a process such as this takes an entire month to decide on a new hire.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:17 am

I will never understand how some companies operate efficiently when a process such as this takes an entire month to decide on a new hire.
When I was hired, I was told there was “a nation wide search” being conducted. From initial contact to offer being accepted was nearly 100 days. When I started, I asked about how many candidates were interviewed - thinking that is why the process took so long. There were fewer than 10 interviews, only two of which were in person...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:22 am

I told my current employer that I had another job on the table and needed to know quickly as I preferred this position, but I didn't want to be left without a job. The hiring manager understood and sped up the process. That's probably abnormal, and we're a smaller company so there aren't quite as many hoops to jump through, but take it for what it's worth.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:31 am

It was three months before my offer was extended, but I’m in government.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:37 am

I can't imagine waiting 100 days for an offer, so I applaud your patience.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:49 am

It was three months before my offer was extended, but I’m in government.
Beat me to it. My longest wait was 83 days.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:54 am

HEEEEEAAAAAATTTHHH

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:02 am

I told my current employer that I had another job on the table and needed to know quickly as I preferred this position, but I didn't want to be left without a job. The hiring manager understood and sped up the process. That's probably abnormal, and we're a smaller company so there aren't quite as many hoops to jump through, but take it for what it's worth.
yeah... I don't have another offer on the table at the moment to leverage with. I just have to keep networking, applying, and interviewing and hope something materializes. I honestly don't know how anyone without previous industry experience is handling this job market right now just after graduation.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:14 am

I'm on a project call right now, and one of the doctors is ranting about the product we're implementing not supporting Mac, how that's outrageous for this day and age, blah blah blah. Throws out that this other software supports Mac and that we should just look at them. This guy is an dadhole in every single meeting. Every one. So I lookup the system requirements for the other app. It doesn't support Mac. It was so satisfying to chime in that his savior app also did not support Mac, and he finally STFU.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:16 am

:lol: As someone who works on Mac and had to set up Bootcamp just for one stubborn windows-only app, I feel his pain. But don't be a dick, dude.

By the way, Bootcamp is annoying as hell. And emulators are impractical.