Job and General Employment Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am

I've never had to look for a job with a recruiter though, knock on wood. I've only ever been recruited.
Same. Have you ever taken a job via recruiting? I haven't, they always want me to move to some shithole like Detroit and work on an annual contract or some other distasteful condition. It's never some bank in Pittsburgh that wants a cybersecurity guy they can throw money at.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:50 am

I've never had to look for a job with a recruiter though, knock on wood. I've only ever been recruited.
Came off that way, wasn't mean to be. Not changing it now.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 am

Same. Have you ever taken a job via recruiting? I haven't, they always want me to move to some shithole like Detroit and work on an annual contract or some other distasteful condition. It's never some bank in Pittsburgh that wants a cybersecurity guy they can throw money at.
So my current job was offered by a recruiter - but that recruiter worked for the company and it was located in Pittsburgh. I would say it's probably an anomaly though compared to other situations. Every time I've come in contact with an actual real recruiter - it's contract to hire, and yes likely in a different state (I'm technically in a niche, and agencies are in SF, NY, SEA).

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am

Only once have I ever taken a job via a recruiter, and it was while I was in between jobs, so out of necessity. I've been approached about a number of contracting jobs, some temp-to-hire, some full-time, but those are last resorts. I know a few people who do nothing but contract work because of the pay, but I think it takes a certain type of person to be okay with that.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am

Yeah, I did it for two years and bounced when my contract wasn't going to be renewed. Stupid war ended. ;)
It was lucrative though.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 am

I know people here who work temp-to-hire. I've basically sworn to myself that I will never settle for that type unless I absolutely need to. Even temp to full time. Anytime someone says those words it's an auto-reject from me. I get why companies do it, but I've seen people here who were hired as "temp-to-hire" absolutely get thrown through the ringer with the hope of a job that never really comes.

Might be a special circumstance, might not happen everywhere - but I've soured very much on that kind of dangled hope.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 am

That happened to my sister at CMU. She did temp-to-hire in their accounting department. They were super nice and sweet all the way till the project was done and then she got pink slipped the next morning. She didn't manage her expectations well and was crushed by it.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 am

I got lucky that what was basically my job as a temp opened up full-time.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 pm

For this job, I think I've mentioned that I was found by a headhunter. It felt weird knowing that a company was paying a finder's fee for me.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Where does everyone prefer to peruse New job postings? I use LinkedIn jobs and indeed and I feel like the number of legitimate companies using them are dwindling.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:13 am

I'm not sure I understand the nature of your question. Are you asking why people go on Indeed and LinkedIn and search for jobs? Obv there are a small percentage of scammers out there, but those sites are pretty diligent at tracking them down. It's safe to say the vast majority of companies on there are legitimate, and that number is not dwindling.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 am

Indeed is probably my favorite when compared to other job posting sites.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 am

usajobs.gov

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am

I haven't actually searched for a job in over a decade (current position was a phone call from a buddy looking to bring me over), but my go-to was monster.com at the time. I have since found out that my current company doesn't even post on monster.com unless we're really struggling to find a decent candidate. That was surprising to me.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 am

I went through Robert half when I got into my current company. That was over 10 years ago.

I get calls from various recruiters to see if I'm interest in jobs, but I haven't had the urge to leave. But I have referred other people that were looking and I think they appreciate it. If I ever needed a recruiter I'd like to think I've built some goodwill.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

When I first got into IT, RHIT used to have a ton of full-time job opportunities. Over the years, they went heavily in the direction of contractor or temp-to-perm. Is that still the case?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am

I'm not sure I understand the nature of your question. Are you asking why people go on Indeed and LinkedIn and search for jobs? Obv there are a small percentage of scammers out there, but those sites are pretty diligent at tracking them down. It's safe to say the vast majority of companies on there are legitimate, and that number is not dwindling.

I was wondering what FAFers use to search for jobs.
I see the same companies all the time. Maybe legitimate was a poor word choice. 'Diverse' is a better one.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:23 am

Something something zip recruiter something something podcast something mattress.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Ol' ZIP!

recrutah

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 pm

There is a visiting contractor in our office this week. Has the thickest Bahstan accent I've ever heard, and I lived in Boston. I swear he does it on purpose because he's added a drawn out vocal fry to it. Gahd Lawd.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:01 pm

I was wondering what FAFers use to search for jobs.
I see the same companies all the time. Maybe legitimate was a poor word choice. 'Diverse' is a better one.
As a recruiter, I hate ZipRecruiter and think it deliver shtty candidates. I was getting applications from janitors/fast food workers for dentist job postings :lol: Indeed is our number one job posting source because :

A) It's free (unless you want to sponsor some ads, which we do)
B) It gets the most traffic, more so than Monster/CB I Would imagine at this point
C) I get good candidates from there

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Indeed?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Indeed is what I generally use to make hires...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm

When I was on the job hunt it was all about Indeed and Linkedin. They were definitely the best ones that I encountered.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Indeed.