Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:49 am

Our facility has been under construction for a few months... they're essentially doubling our current building size with an add on connected to the building. The surrounding land is owned by my boss/our company and we allow a local farmer to plant whatever he wants in it. Part of that planting area was planned to be ripped up and a parking lot built in its place, so my boss bough a sh*t ton of sweet corn seed for the farmer, asked that he plant it in that field, and whatever survived the parking lot build that we as a company could go and get it to eat. Today is the first round of harvesting and the dude that went and picked it sent out a company wide e-mail...

"Sweat corn in the break room"

His wife, who also works here, responded all:

"Is it sweat corn cause you sweated your hmm hmm off to pick it?"

:lol: I love central PA.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:52 pm

I already know how this is gonna play out: my plan was to run home for lunch. I guarantee the second I pull into my driveway, I'm gonna get a call from the receptionist saying the tech is here.
Forgot to update this.

I ended up going home for lunch. As soon as my garage door went up, the Dell tech called. Lucky for me, it was him saying he would be running late and wouldn't be in the office for another hour or so.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:19 am

Think I'm getting the dreaded burnout. As more stuff gets piled on top of me, I become more despondent. I finally had to tell my boss today with his latest request because someone left the company that I couldn't handle taking on any more work of theirs to cover for them while they're leaving.

As of now, I'm doing three separate jobs, technical BA, Manager, and data analyst, I just hit that wall.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am

Any manager worth a lick will try to help and find a better balance for you

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:50 am

I'm starting to believe that this isn't the case. I've been an "interim manager" for going on like a year plus. I've had these discussions and ultimately feel it's all a rub "do this and you'll get that."

Just not feeling that strategy anymore, and saying no feels like the first step for me in trying to fix it.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Any manager worth a lick will try to help and find a better balance for you
I went to the owner years ago when I had been assigned 18 clients when most were servicing fewer than 10. He didn't take action. I quit shortly thereafter. Was the best move I ever made.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 pm

I've been pretty fortunate to be relatively drama free in my work groups, employees, peers and managers. But there are some circles/groups where there is definitely drama.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:04 am

I'm in the middle of a QA upgrade on one of my systems, and the DBA who I'm working with is working from home. He says he needs to drop his kid off at camp, and that he'll be back in 30. No big deal, go for it. That was over an hour ago. WTF, dude? This is how you get your work from home privileges removed.

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:56 pm

He says he needs to drop his kid off at camp, and that he'll be back in 30. No big deal, go for it. That was over an hour ago. WTF, dude? This is how you get your work from home privileges removed.
We had a co-worker who constantly did that ****. He'd pull the dog is sick/car problems/not feeling well card constantly. You'd see his Lync light pop on around 8 (he was supposed to be at work by 7), go yellow by 8:30 and would disappear for the rest of the day. No Out Of Office status change, none of his tickets would be updated, and his cell would go unanswered thanks to "bad reception." He'd do this at least once a week.

I found out earlier this week that he has since been promoted and has his own office. :face:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:02 pm

Oof. That's on his manager. **** happens, but if they display a pattern of absence, then their work from home should be taken away.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 pm

He says he needs to drop his kid off at camp, and that he'll be back in 30. No big deal, go for it. That was over an hour ago. WTF, dude? This is how you get your work from home privileges removed.
We had a co-worker who constantly did that ****. He'd pull the dog is sick/car problems/not feeling well card constantly. You'd see his Lync light pop on around 8 (he was supposed to be at work by 7), go yellow by 8:30 and would disappear for the rest of the day. No Out Of Office status change, none of his tickets would be updated, and his cell would go unanswered thanks to "bad reception." He'd do this at least once a week.

I found out earlier this week that he has since been promoted and has his own office. :face:

iamjs

Postby iamjs » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:13 pm

The problem is that type of thing was taken for granted where I was. People in more senior roles would do it constantly. As somebody who was not only junior but also under contract, it should have never flown to begin with.

I'll admit that I would do it on occasion, but only a few times a year. Example: if I had to grab a loaner for when my car was in the shop, there was a certain dealership across town that would treat you great but I'm not sure if promptness was something I would rate them highly on. I knew it would be at 30 minute trek across town each way plus however long I was gonna have to wait for the greets, the paperwork, and however long it was to fish out a loaner. I wasn't gonna put in for an hour+ of PTO when I knew people were doing the same thing and not even taking their laptop.

I could go into more detail about this, but I know there is at least one person from our old department that is familiar with this site.
Last edited by iamjs on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:14 pm

:lol: I think I mentioned it here, but we use Microsoft Teams as our IM program. I found out last week that the mobile app allows you to appear online all the time. No more worrying that I've been away from my laptop too long. I don't abuse working from home, but it is nice to know I can respond at any time/any where.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm

My manager manages myself and two other people. We're a pretty easy group to manage as we all get our sh*t done without any real need for guidance or management. He often looks at me with the "why the hell are you even asking?" look when I ask if I can leave a touch early here or there, or work from home for an afternoon. One guy on the team though really abuses it, and I feel as though my manager knows that, but doesn't have any idea how to go about fixing it as the two of them were peers just before I got hired and my manager was promoted to... well, manager.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Query...do you think employers indirectly (and maybe subconsciously, even) make compensation heavily dependent on stress level?

Talent is sort of table stakes. Over the years, it seems like the risers are the ones who just accept the shitstorm as theirs to own. I’m not exactly talking middle management here. I’m talking the real climbers.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Hmm, that's an interesting thesis/query...not for the question itself, but the context that follows...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Do hiring managers determine compensation where you are? I haven’t worked in the private sector in ages, and I know damn well that management (below C level) generally doesn’t set salary terms. At least in healthcare.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Yes. We have a, heh, braintrust of people that have a good deal of say above me (the family)...but I can make reasonable calls on compensation in my position, for instance...

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Query...do you think employers indirectly (and maybe subconsciously, even) make compensation heavily dependent on stress level?

Talent is sort of table stakes. Over the years, it seems like the risers are the ones who just accept the shitstorm as theirs to own. I’m not exactly talking middle management here. I’m talking the real climbers.
Definitely think there is an element to that where I work. I don't think it's the end all be all, and there is definitely exceptions, but within my function, there is definitely that thinking.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:37 pm

I guess I’m coupling compensation with career mobility.

I suppose the larger question is if an unhealthy lifestyle is rewarded to a dangerous degree.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Do hiring managers determine compensation where you are? I haven’t worked in the private sector in ages, and I know damn well that management (below C level) generally doesn’t set salary terms. At least in healthcare.
Where I work, there are band levels. However, it is up to the hiring manager to set the band for that position, and then also set the compensation within the band for that hire. So it's not open ended, but there is definitely flexibility.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:40 pm

I suppose the larger question is if an unhealthy lifestyle is rewarded to a dangerous degree.
To that degree, depends on the manager, at least where I work. It's not a corporate wide thing.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:10 pm

I guess I’m coupling compensation with career mobility.

In retrospect, we probably set the bar in a stupid place (5 of 7 days, 40 of those 120 hours)...whether it be a relic of industrial revolution lore or us smashing one into the rough on a par 3 with regard to the importance of mental wellness/health that we're really just now embracing, we've put overachievers in a situation where they have to extend their march in those mighty stinky mathematical boots that I've put forth parenthetically above...seems unhealthy/stressful...

I'm not intelligent enough to close on this faux point meaningfully, but I'd like the end result to be more leisure time...and I don't think production would be negatively affected to a noteworthy degree in an office setting...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:40 am

So Thursday we have my big department meeting. 4 director orgs under one VP. in my director org, there are two huge projects. One is primed to save the company millions, has an unlimited budget, 15 people managing it, and has been delayed three times now for over a month and a half. The other is mine, launched 3 weeks early, had both of my development teams almost turn over completely because everyone was doing so well, enables so much more opportunity for the company, also saves a good bit of money, but alongside this shiny new thing, doesn't look as flashy. Fully expecting all of the awards to be dished out at the meeting be for the super cool new project that's not even successfully been through a beta launch, and not mine, which launched early, on budget, with about a fourth of the resources.
Big project launches today (for which I am a fringe member). 4 hours into the bridge call and all I've done is pointed out that something's broken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 am

Well, that's what those bridge lines are for, generally...