Job and General Employment Thread

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue May 17, 2022 10:26 am

That's some awful shady **** @mac5155 . Sorry that is happening to your wife.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 17, 2022 10:33 am

It's crazy. Her entire career has been filled with shady crap sans a few year stint at CMU. Then there is mine, which has been with one employer for the entirety. I just wish I could find her something like mine. But she's so underdeveloped for her experience because of horrible bosses (and partly her not taking enough initiative).

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Call a lawyer, dude.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:50 pm

Ironically enough, there's another employee who was fired like 3 months ago who brought an FMLA Violation suit against the company. It's still on going I believe, but the last I had heard they upped her severance package from like 3 weeks to 6 months of pay to try and settle it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 18, 2022 9:57 am

Yea, when I say 2.75% raise. This isn't me going out of my way to give these people crap wages. I myself get that same raise as everyone else. I work as hard as I can to make sure the right people get above 3%. But I'm given like x amount of dollars to deal with and it sucks. The problem here, imo - is they want us to rank and file against each other. So one person doing a great job deserving of a 5% raise, means 3 other people are making less than the usual 2.75%. Really isn't right, imo.

This is more me trying to deal with people to provide them the best support I can and keeping the business going, because I have to pay attention to that side of the house too.
Lost the top performer today. Knew it was coming, but today is official that they're transition off the team. Bummer.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 18, 2022 11:27 am

Take that to your supervisor. “We are losing our best folks because our pay scale blows donkey”

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 18, 2022 11:33 am

Take that to your supervisor. “We are losing our best folks because our pay scale blows donkey”
The part that grinds my gears, is that I'm opening up a position now because of it, a senior level higher than the person leaving. Because we don't offer real promotions in this company, it's expected for people to move around - so the only real way to get a senior person on this team is to hire outside for it, which could have just been given to this guy who basically deserved it.

Corporate stinks sometimes.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 18, 2022 11:47 am

The part that grinds my gears, is that I'm opening up a position now because of it, a senior level higher than the person leaving. Because we don't offer real promotions in this company, it's expected for people to move around - so the only real way to get a senior person on this team is to hire outside for it, which could have just been given to this guy who basically deserved it.

Corporate stinks sometimes.
Unbelievable. They changed the way they did promotions at our company, because the same thing basically happened here. There were promotions, but I had been here 10 years and was way past due on one. My boss would list the things one needed to do to move up, and I checked all the boxes. Maybe the problem was I checked them all too early.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 18, 2022 12:56 pm

I suspect it's all political, or simply being told no from HR / leadership.

From what I gathered, it's mostly all pre-ordained and chosen based on who likes who, who knows who, who's work with who in the past. So you're only real choice is to transfer around. It makes sense in my mind, but it doesn't really help anyone improve, imo.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 18, 2022 1:40 pm

It's not who you know, it's who you blow

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed May 18, 2022 3:04 pm

Corporate stinks ALWAYS.
FTFY.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 20, 2022 9:53 am

I came back from Ireland late last night, and this morning I am already dealing with separate personnel issues on my team. One person that was ready to go to my director last week while I was out because she felt that another member of the team was being mean to her via email, and another person was freaking out that she didn't know what to do, and was also unresponsive to messages from my senior person. Which is ridiculous, because we walked through everything together before I left and she knows all she needed to do was call one of my senior people to have them walk through it together on Teams.

I am seriously considering looking for a job where I won't have to manage people. This is the last **** thing I felt like dealing with the day I got back from vacation, in addition to the mountain of **** I have to get done.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 am

Ah. I see you have children on your team

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 20, 2022 10:43 am

I'm nearing a boiling point of frustration with my current company and am starting applying for other jobs. I know the process will take a month or two but I'm so annoyed at my company that I'm considering quitting now and taking a short sabbatical over the summer while looking for the new job

one friend mentioned losing health insurance benefits during this period which was a good point, I think I might sign up for something. Is there anything else I could be missing? want to make sure I have everything in order before jumping ship

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 20, 2022 11:26 am

In regards to employee management. I always warn people that want to get into it, is that you are the arbitrator of grade school dust-ups that make no sense. One of the more annoying part of the jobs, having to hear he said she said, on stuff that matters zero.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:06 pm

Absolutely grade school level nonsense. Remember, I managed a woman who was upset that no one recognized her birthday at work. She was 51 at the time. The person who normally did it was out sick or on vacation and wasn't there for her birthday, but yet I had to hear about how unfair it was that she didn't get a card and $5 gift card. **** off.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 pm

one friend mentioned losing health insurance benefits during this period which was a good point, I think I might sign up for something. Is there anything else I could be missing? want to make sure I have everything in order before jumping ship

Unless you have some sort of condition, I wouldn't bother if you're just going to be taking a month off

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 pm

Oh, that's a good one.

So it was an email communication that offended one member of my team from another. They sent a two or three sentence email explaining what to do to make sure there is no confusion or miscommunication, and the older person on my team replied "We got it sorted out, thanks."

That's it. Now, the way I read that email was that "Hey, I know you are busy holding down the fort while the boss is gone, so we got this figured out. Thanks though."

The way they read it "**** YOU, I DON'T NEED YOUR HELP!!!"

I think I need to schedule a lunch soon (with drinks, no work discussion) just so everyone can get to know each other...I think that's half the problem is that certain people haven't met others because of the 100% virtual stuff.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 20, 2022 12:12 pm

You can sign up for cobra if you voluntarily leave a job. Keep same benefits, pay for them out of your own pocket 100 percent instead of splitting them with your friends employer.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 pm

I know the process will take a month or two but I'm so annoyed at my company that I'm considering quitting now and taking a short sabbatical over the summer while looking for the new job
I went through the hiring process last fall. Expect the process to take linger than a month or two. Hell one place I applied to took 5 months to respond.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri May 20, 2022 12:34 pm

I know the process will take a month or two but I'm so annoyed at my company that I'm considering quitting now and taking a short sabbatical over the summer while looking for the new job
I went through the hiring process last fall. Expect the process to take linger than a month or two. Hell one place I applied to took 5 months to respond.
I'm getting rejection notices from companies I applied to months ago.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 20, 2022 12:38 pm

I understand that it can take a while but I work in software. Companies will not take five months to hire me if they’re serious because I will be well off the market by then

I applied to a company on Tuesday and already have an interview scheduled with them for Monday

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 20, 2022 12:45 pm

You guys don't get it, mimh is hot sht

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm

He's right though as far being an software engineer or in software development.. those jobs are super hot right now. I don't doubt he'd have an interview within a couple days.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 20, 2022 12:49 pm

that mimh is so hot right now