Job and General Employment Thread

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:27 pm

Yep, read up on it. There's a company that does shock and vibration testing as well as environmental chamber testing that is in the building where your dad used to work.

Also, the Montour bike trail goes right by. I used to bike from McKeesport to Bethel Park on the trail and would bike right through the parking lot to cross 51 to the other side of the trail.

I'll let him know it's still in use. :thumb:

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:20 am

They put one of those bottle filling stations on the water fountain in the lunch room at work. Works perfectly for my Yeti. :thumb: Now I just need a reliable source of ice.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:15 pm

Hey Team,

I will be out of office next week from 7/1-7/5. If you need me, you should probably ask yourself why you would need the intern.

I will miss you all!
10/10 great out of office reply

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Like.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:17 pm

5/7.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Yeah, we would get an all-staff email from HR immediately reminding us about professionalism in our out of office replies.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:09 am

After today, I'm off until the 15th. There's about 0.002% chance of work getting done today.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Got the log-in info for my 5 year service award gift options today. The options are hilarious. It reminds me of the gifts you could get if you sold a certain amount of magazines for your school's fundraiser. There's a category for "TVs/Monitors." I was excited because I could really use a small monitor for my home PC. In the category there were two options: One wall mount for "most 13" - 37" displays" or a replacement remote for Insignia and Dynex tvs.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 pm

My wife got a two-person tent with her name engraved on a tag for working 5 years at Eat 'N Park during/after college. Not to shabby.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:55 pm

We receive "points" that we can use towards a fairly large catalog of items. I wound up getting an insulated cooler and a few small kitchen knick knacks.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Maybe my expectations were too high, then. It's frustrating to see a category for "Outdoor Grilling" with an image of a nice grill on it only to click and see it's JUST a variety of grill covers. I'm either going to go for the 8 gb Kindle or the $50 visa card.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm

We have to pay sales tax and activation fees when we choose gift cards out of the company pat-on-the-back store

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm

We have to pay sales tax and activation fees when we choose gift cards out of the company pat-on-the-back store
Same here.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Well ****. This 5 year anniversary keeps getting worse.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 pm

We get $10 for every year we’re at the college, every five years. And extra is added to cover the taxes, as it’s a separate payroll check. <shrugs>

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:57 pm

So Thursday we have my big department meeting. 4 director orgs under one VP. in my director org, there are two huge projects. One is primed to save the company millions, has an unlimited budget, 15 people managing it, and has been delayed three times now for over a month and a half. The other is mine, launched 3 weeks early, had both of my development teams almost turn over completely because everyone was doing so well, enables so much more opportunity for the company, also saves a good bit of money, but alongside this shiny new thing, doesn't look as flashy. Fully expecting all of the awards to be dished out at the meeting be for the super cool new project that's not even successfully been through a beta launch, and not mine, which launched early, on budget, with about a fourth of the resources.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:10 pm

That'll teach you to work efficiently and get done early.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm

At a previous job they gave us $30 Applebee's cards for wrapping up a project before Christmas. Little did we know that it was getting taxed, so our $30 card ended up taking out something like 8 or 9 bucks out of our checks for taxes. Not that it was that big of a deal, but when my direct deposit amount dipped a few bucks I was wondering why it happened.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Basically you lost money and pride as a reward...no wonder it's a previous job...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:52 pm

So Thursday we have my big department meeting. 4 director orgs under one VP. in my director org, there are two huge projects. One is primed to save the company millions, has an unlimited budget, 15 people managing it, and has been delayed three times now for over a month and a half. The other is mine, launched 3 weeks early, had both of my development teams almost turn over completely because everyone was doing so well, enables so much more opportunity for the company, also saves a good bit of money, but alongside this shiny new thing, doesn't look as flashy. Fully expecting all of the awards to be dished out at the meeting be for the super cool new project that's not even successfully been through a beta launch, and not mine, which launched early, on budget, with about a fourth of the resources.
Or win all the awards and at your next review, the boss gives you the ole ataboy and a slap on the back instead of a nice raise.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:17 pm

Or win all the awards and at your next review, the boss gives you the ole ataboy and a slap on the back instead of a nice raise.
More likely what will happen

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:18 pm

At a previous job they gave us $30 Applebee's cards for wrapping up a project before Christmas. Little did we know that it was getting taxed, so our $30 card ended up taking out something like 8 or 9 bucks out of our checks for taxes. Not that it was that big of a deal, but when my direct deposit amount dipped a few bucks I was wondering why it happened.
I got two Captain Morgan club seats as a reward for going above and beyond for something.... got hit with $290 additional income for taxes like 4 months later.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:38 pm

I have been blissfully unaware of Glassdoor until this afternoon when I learned that a former co-worker posted a review and was told I should read it. That led me down a rabbit hole of reviews dating back to 2015. I'm very depressed about my job now. The worst part is, the negative reviews are not only spot on, but are written by anonymous current employees so I can't even blame their bitterness on being fired.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 pm

A job at another agency that I've been waiting for a while to come back open was posted yesterday. Hoping I got my application in early enough because they evaluate them in 50 application blocks.

It's the same job I have now except with the VA. Better work location (Aspinwall instead of downtown), more telework, about a 12% pay bump, and less responsibility than I have now (they don't have a classified enclave). Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I have been blissfully unaware of Glassdoor until this afternoon when I learned that a former co-worker posted a review and was told I should read it. That led me down a rabbit hole of reviews dating back to 2015. I'm very depressed about my job now. The worst part is, the negative reviews are not only spot on, but are written by anonymous current employees so I can't even blame their bitterness on being fired.
Glassdoor is fantastic for this, and salary information when people put it down.