Job and General Employment Thread

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:55 pm

I have taken a 100% no exceptions hardline stance on not doing that. These **** need to learn.

And then they have the gall to send me an angry email stating they know what they're doing, and they've been doing it a while.

Well, if I've had to tell you no less than 4 times in the past week how to do this thing, clearly you have no idea what the flying **** you're doing.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:56 pm

I swear sometimes it's like dealing with 5 year olds here. I feel like I have to hold people's hands because they can't comprehend simple instructions that would save everyone time.

Addendum:

How is it that you can explain the solution to someone TWO **** WEEKS AGO and still have to point out that you told them that when they *continue* to do the thing incorrectly?

I'm going to have a **** aneurysm if they submit this thing incorrectly for a 4th time.
So they can have you fix/do it for them.

The above is in response to this.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Collaboration here is straight out of 1999. Emails sent around with attached spreadsheets and spreadsheets saved on shared drives that someone always, always, always forgets to close the file. Wtf?

Best collaboration I’ve done in the past is when places have used Google Drive or related.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:18 am

I just love people who forget about 8 am meetings that they scheduled.
Especially when you don’t start work until 9AM and bust your a** to make the 8AM meeting..
That's me, pens. Oh well, got to leave an hour early.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Jobs are so weird. You can spend 4 years from happy to contempt with what you are doing. Once you switch then you find two openings that are more desirable to your section of your field. In the past two weeks I've talked to people that have told me if it doesn't work at X, contact me and I'll get you in at Y.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:39 am

I forgot to mention this while I was in Atlanta last week, but we found out from one of our software vendors that at least three people turned down job interviews with us because they were all familiar with our current Sr. Director. We've been trying to hire for this position for 6+ months now, and this now starts to make sense. I'm supposedly having a 1:1 lunch with our CIO in the next few weeks as a reward for winning an 'unsung hero' award at work a few months back, and plan on bringing this up with her.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Guy who sits next to me is a nice 50-ish old man but man is he a pig. His cube is a complete mess and he gulps down his water like a horse and eats like one too. Sometimes he mutters stuff to himself. I think he’s the closest I have come to a real life Milton.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:47 pm

I think we both know what you need to do next: take his stapler and report back.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 31, 2019 12:30 pm

The more *alert* I am the slower time goes. I'm feeling pretty good today, been eating well all week and back to exercising and I don't have school to worry about, and today is absolutely dragging. The rare sunny day isn't helping things either.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 pm

First week almost done at my new gig.. shortened week with my immediate boss out on vacation....so just kind of learning stuff as it comes in. Overwhelmed with the changer at first after essentially being with the same team for almost 7 years, but slowly settling in.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 pm

I left a voicemail for an employment candidate. While I was on the phone on a call immediately after that, over a period of six minutes, I received:

-A Voicemail back (no problem)
-An email back (no problem)
-Another phone call immediately after the first voicemail (ok....)
-ANOTHER phone call about four minutes after the second call (WTF)

This kind of behavior immediately inclines me to just throw the application in the trash and move onto other candidates. If you are so insecure that you feel like you need to call repeatedly until someone picks up, that does not present well.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Oooh have a heart. Poor guy or gal is probably shitting themselves right now thinking they missed their chance.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm

it is 2019, this is the time of a. impatience b. fear of rejection of any sort

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Oooh have a heart. Poor guy or gal is probably shitting themselves right now thinking they missed their chance.
I leave a nice voicemail and my email said 'just let me know when you are free and I'll put time on my calendar for us to speak!'. If that is panic inducing, that's concerning lol

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Guy who sits next to me is a nice 50-ish old man but man is he a pig. His cube is a complete mess and he gulps down his water like a horse and eats like one too. Sometimes he mutters stuff to himself. I think he’s the closest I have come to a real life Milton.
Now this guy got a new personal cell phone and has enabled the feature that announces his callers out loud. Super loud. He also listens to his voicemails on speaker.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Ask him if his herpes is OK. When he looks at you funny, say that’s what you thought you heard when he was listening to his voicemail.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:58 pm

pens9192 - Just respond in kind by doing the same things. But do it with embarrassing voicemails and calls...if you need someone that can throw his voice and knows exactly the target audience here, let me know, I can help you out haha

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:37 pm

I responded to an internal Solicitation of Interest about a month ago. It's for a promotion where I would setup a small department in our division and would have two analysts assigned to me. We would perform as a roving audit team doing pre-inspections for network accreditation.

My boss's boss called me today and said HR knocked down my application due to a lack of experience. Because this was an informal SOI not affiliated with an actual job announcement I did not custom tailor my resume to meet the position description and/or job announcement. I thought it was going to be my division leadership and the CIO, who would be choosing candidates and I did not realize HR would be involved in the selection process. She was really upset, the call lasted about 25 minutes and it was mostly me assuring her that I'm okay. :lol:

The kicker is that they said I couldn't perform it at the GS-13 level, but they worked it out that I could slide into it at my current pay rate (GS-12) and do the work unofficially to gain the experience. They would just move me from doing my current work to the auditor work without actually documenting it. I told them thanks but no thanks, announce it publicly and I'll compete for it against everyone and likely win with a fully prepared resume.

My lesson here is that SOI's require the same level of diligence as public announcements. Tough lesson but now I know. I'm a CISSP with a desktop support background who has a Masters in IT Project Management, there is no way I'm not qualified to head an audit team. In the end this might work out for me because the later I can pick this position up the better since I'm almost done with my terminal degree.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Masters in IT Project Management
Did you earn it like all other PMs, finding it at the bottom of a cereal box?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:08 pm

I never even entertained the idea of going after my PMP or even CAPM if that gives you any indication of my level of commitment to it. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Your career arc is interesting to say the least. Also, I’m glad that you’re not in project management.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:53 pm

I leave a nice voicemail and my email said 'just let me know when you are free and I'll put time on my calendar for us to speak!'. If that is panic inducing, that's concerning lol
Shad is now a confirmed exclamation point user in professional emails.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Shad is now a confirmed exclamation point user in professional emails.
With candidates? Absolutely. Most of them eat that sht up.

Internally? Only with people I know well, and exclusively limited to "Thanks!"

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:14 pm

MBA... necessary/worth it? Between my wife’s PSU discount and work reimbursement, it’d be free. Just cost me time.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I don't think so, but I don't know if it would facilitate your life goals or not. MBAs are kind of ubiquitous now which is part of the reason I did a masters with a more focused curriculum. I did consider Penn State for that as well but chose differently.