Job and General Employment Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm

The most veteran PTO day of the year is the day after memorial day. Started doing this in 2019. What a tremendous blessing
I've noticed that trend for sure.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 30, 2023 11:31 pm

the most consistent one I had was Super Bowl Monday but haven’t done it in a few years

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 31, 2023 7:52 am

First day at my new job yesterday. Totally different vibe and I think I'm going to really like the change. I didn't realize that in addition to my PTO I get 5 sick days, 2 personal days, and 3 service days for volunteering. I've never had anything besides PTO.

The drive down to Delaware is pretty stress free, I'm not going to mind driving down there once a week or so.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 31, 2023 8:38 am

Hope the good times keep rollin'...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:39 am

Congrats again!

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 31, 2023 8:41 am

So, ended up going to managing a team of 4 to 12, with an ask to take on more strategic work, but because of 2023, no raise or promotion. Womp Womp, the faith I had in this company has been demolished lately. About all I can do right now, is take the job - get the experience and get money on the next one.
Hope it's worth it. If it were me I would have balked at their request, but using it as a springboard for the next job isn't a bad idea.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 31, 2023 8:52 am

Yea, personally, I don't think it's going to be worth it. I asked about a promotion or a raise, and was hit with the 2023 economy, so that's a no response. Then I was hit with the, "I want to see people on my team promote out and join other parts of the company." So the more I think about it, the more I took it as a "there's no promotion here ever" kind of deal, and I really don't like that.

Secondly to all that, I was told that when it was ran past HR - they themselves asked if it was too much work for a person to be taking on. So everyone seems to acknowledge it's an unwinnable size of scope and I'm sort of just taking it.

That being said, though, there are things on there that make me valuable to more than just this company, so learning it for 6 months or whatever and seeing the hell it's going to put me through, might be worth it - because it's going right on the resume.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 am

Nice, Shad. Sometimes a change can be mentally refreshing. I'm there.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 31, 2023 9:52 am

My own potential job change fizzled out. It was a really tough decision because it was better pay, better commute, perhaps more exciting work, but realized working in the defense industry wasn't for me. But at least it gave me some perspective on what may be out there, what my worth is, and where I am now. So I'll probably be a bit more cognizant of job openings in the near term.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:29 pm

You know, over the years this thread has been full of people seeking greener pastures and such. And that's great. But sometimes staying put is good, too.

Grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side, it's greener on whichever side gets the most water. I have no idea what that means in a career context, but I'm happy for you. :thumb:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 31, 2023 12:33 pm

It seems like almost every time I even start to think "I wonder what else might be out there..." my manager and the higher ups here do something to change my job or my pay or my whatever to just shut that thought down immediately. I'm not sure how they have that 6th sense of knowing that I'm starting to get frustrated or stressed, but they do and they take action to fix it. It's really kind of nice.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 31, 2023 12:41 pm

My current promotion is on a time-limited appointment (5 years) and I'm coming up on 2 years. So I've started floating resumes. As time goes on that will become more and more frequent until something hits. I would love, love to stay with my current agency until retirement but space is getting limited at the top and I want to promote a few more times.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm

You know, over the years this thread has been full of people seeking greener pastures and such. And that's great. But sometimes staying put is good, too.

Grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side, it's greener on whichever side gets the most water. I have no idea what that means in a career context, but I'm happy for you. :thumb:
Thanks man, it really was, and still is, a tough decision. It's funny because I went into the whole thing thinking there was maybe a 5% chance I'd take the job, as I'm content with where I'm at and the pay is fine. After the in-person interview, I was more in the 75/25 camp that I'd take the job, maybe even higher than that.

It was that one caveat, working in defense, that broke me down. You know how sometimes you step back from your day to day activities and think about what it is you are doing on a macro level? I did that exercise in my head and just couldn't get past it. There are times it seems like I overanalyzed, but in the end the current job still has a lot going for it. It may not in the not too distant future, but it can be addressed at that time.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:17 pm

I think once you get to a certain point and make a certain amount...changing to get another 10-20% may not be worth it if you are comfortable money wise and happy with what you are doing.

I'll never begrudge someone for going somewhere and getting more money, most of the time that's what you need to do, but sometimes that extra aint worth it if your have a good work life balance and make enough to be comfortable.

Now most of us here are well above the median earners I would say, but for someone who makes way less, that jump up would be much more enticing.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 31, 2023 1:25 pm

I think the primary benefit of changing jobs isn’t so much getting a raise but getting new challenges and a new environment. Variety is the spice of life

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:26 pm

Depends on your goals. I'm not making any move unless it includes more compensation, be it salary, vacation time, or benefits.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 31, 2023 1:46 pm

I thought this was a place I could ride out the next 25-30 years and retire. I don't believe that to be the case anymore, and that saddens if it's true.

I know that's practically unheard of for the millennial generation, but until six months ago, I've been relatively happy and stress free, now, not so much.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:50 pm

I'm sure I've griped about this before, but it has reared its ugly head once again:

Legal professionals cannot built Power Point slides to save their lives. I'm doing a CLE, and I'm seeing slide after slide with hundreds of words of bullet pointed text, and the presenters are basically just reading them word-for-word. That's not what a presentation is, folks. I can read it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:53 pm

Source of the post I thought this was a place I could ride out the next 25-30 years and retire.
I thought the same about my previous job, but this new one was more tailored to my interests, and paid much better. It's the first time I've worked outside of a non-profit org since 2005, which is a bit scary, but it's still in the healthcare space. I could see myself retiring here, too. If all goes as planned, I only have to ride out another 15 years.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 31, 2023 1:56 pm

That's another thing that has me a bit on the prowl for a new job. It's either I ride it out here for another 15 years, or make a switch and stay there for 15. I may have one more move in me, and it'll most likely have to be in the next 5 years for it to make sense. It's to the point where too much experience in one area is not marketable.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:54 pm

It seems like almost every time I even start to think "I wonder what else might be out there..." my manager and the higher ups here do something to change my job or my pay or my whatever to just shut that thought down immediately. I'm not sure how they have that 6th sense of knowing that I'm starting to get frustrated or stressed, but they do and they take action to fix it. It's really kind of nice.
That's awesome. They clearly value you based on recent events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:56 pm

Source of the post I thought this was a place I could ride out the next 25-30 years and retire.
I thought the same about my previous job, but this new one was more tailored to my interests, and paid much better. It's the first time I've worked outside of a non-profit org since 2005, which is a bit scary, but it's still in the healthcare space. I could see myself retiring here, too. If all goes as planned, I only have to ride out another 15 years.
:thumb:

I'm out of healthcare for the first time but finance is similar in a lot of ways, especially regulatory. I am hoping I can ride things out here.

That sucks Morkle, sorry to hear that. I don't want to change jobs again, I'm thinking if I can make it to 50 I'm pushing through.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:53 am

This has been me for 10+ years. It's not going to happen this time though, my boss basically told me he's entertaining external offers

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:31 pm

Got confirmation today that my role is officially permanent WFH, which was good to hear. In other news, I’ve been building up a hell of a lot of equity lately, hearing from senior leaders in other stacks about the changes I’m making, which is always a good thing.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 pm

Was just asked if I'd be a member of a team to lead the organization's transition from being privately owned to becoming an ESOP. It'll be fun to see all the ins and outs of this process. Looking forward to being a decision maker on that level.
The team met with the board of directors today just to get things kicked off, our CEO said “we’ll need a leader of this team and I guess we could vote on it, but the board thought c2i would be the best choice.”

I think I played it cool, but inside I was like, “ummmmm…. What? Why?” And I turned to look at the rest of the team and they all just nodded and gave me thumbs up. Weird feeling.

Now I’ve got some books to read, webinars to watch, and conferences to attend.