Times New Roman is all I need.

King Colby

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby King Colby » Fri May 19, 2023 6:56 pm

My company default font is Century Gothic. Weird choice, I'm not a fan

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri May 19, 2023 7:28 pm

I like Garamond just fine, but the "Garamond" included with Word is pretty lousy.

Trivia: There are a ton of different typefaces called Garamond, and only some of them are actually based on the letters originally cut by Claude Garamont (c. 1510–1561). Quite a few of the typefaces called Garamond are actually based on the work of another French printer, Jean Jannon, who lived about a hundred years later. The Garamond that's included as a Microsoft system font is Monotype Garamond, which is actually a Jannon-based typeface. Adobe Garamond, on the other hand, was designed by Robert Slimbach based on actual Claude Garamont originals.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 19, 2023 7:45 pm

All fonts except arial can go away

scb147

Postby scb147 » Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 pm

I thought Wingdings was top notch, no?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat May 20, 2023 3:09 am

Sounds like Garamond should've had the documentary and not Helvetica.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat May 20, 2023 3:12 am

it’s sad that resumes even need to be structured in a way to “stand out” or “get you through a door”. In software in particular, most companies would never consider you for an engineering position if you don’t have a four year college degree.

but it’s so silly. As someone that was an engineer and now manages them, it’s a dumb, arbitrary requirement and one of the reasons why so many people unnecessarily go to college (and why college debt is an issue in the country). Having a degree doesn’t mean you’re a good engineer, it just means you know how to get good grades. Not nearly the same thing

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat May 20, 2023 3:16 am

Arial is the old man phone text of fonts. Great for high school papers, you can switch from calibri 11 point to Arial 11 point and have a 200% longer paper

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat May 20, 2023 3:18 am

11 font? Rookie. Gotta do 11.5

also cut the margins by a little bit more AND increase the size of your line spacing

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 20, 2023 5:20 am

My previous employer dropped the bachelor requirement for senior IS positions, which I thought was a terrific move. I’ve worked with so many people who either just have an associate degree, or no degree at all, and would take them over the vast majority of people I know who do have a BS in this field. I don’t know if it’s because we (I have an associate) simply have more real-world experience in the field, or the fact that some of us went to a tech/trade school, but that has been my experience.

Ironically enough, one of the worst IS guys I ever worked with had his BS, and half a dozen MS certs, and was completely **** useless. He also listed his certs in his email signature, which was the first red flag.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 20, 2023 6:41 am

To be honest, if an organization or hiring manager is so particular in their resume must haves and must have nots as listed in tif’s post that they look past the applicant themselves, I don’t want to work for them anyways. They’re going to be a pain in my ass.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat May 20, 2023 8:12 am

In recruiting most resumes get reformatted to whatever job board’s style is out there and we don’t have time to give a detailed read through. So as long as your resume doesn’t say “my name is Turg, you give Turg job.” Then you’re fine. Although I’ve recruited for warehouse and forklift openings. If someone drew a smiley in crayon and got it online for a resume, they would get an interview.

Small anecdote: I did work with a hiring manager once that had a job requiring a high school level education. The job had a lot of turnover. They would constantly complain to me about resume formats or if there was one word misspelled and to not send those resumes over. They would also complain about not having enough candidates when I withheld the “poor” resumes.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat May 20, 2023 10:05 am

To be honest, if an organization or hiring manager is so particular in their resume must haves and must have nots as listed in tif’s post that they look past the applicant themselves, I don’t want to work for them anyways. They’re going to be a pain in my ass.
That's basically what I was getting at. If you're that big a schmuck that you're not reading the details and judging the text, it's a blessing in disguise for me.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat May 20, 2023 10:15 am

I've used Georgia for years, but a former colleague turned me on to Quattrocento. I think it's on Google Docs etc. by default (that's what my previous employer used heavily) but has to be imported into MS Office products.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 22, 2023 12:54 pm

As an engineering tech I don't spend much time at my cube unless I have some Inventor/Altium stuff to work on. Most of my time is spent in the lab, my boss comes looking for me today and says "you're always working, I can never find you." Well yeah...that's what you pay me for? I can do less I suppose?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:28 pm

Day four of the deployment team not listening to me when I tell them what I think the issue is with their package, and dozens of VDAs offline as a result. It's always "well, we want to try doing this". I get it, this is the space you own, but do us both a favor and just listen to the guy telling you what the actual issue is and maybe give the fix a try? I swear some of the people here prefer to fail multiple times before finally heeding the advice of others.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 22, 2023 7:16 pm

To be honest, I'm not too sure I'd be receptive to your feedback regarding issues with my package, either.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 22, 2023 7:24 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 22, 2023 7:26 pm

Day four of the deployment team not listening to me when I tell them what I think the issue is with their package, and dozens of VDAs offline as a result. It's always "well, we want to try doing this". I get it, this is the space you own, but do us both a favor and just listen to the guy telling you what the actual issue is and maybe give the fix a try? I swear some of the people here prefer to fail multiple times before finally heeding the advice of others.
The company I've been working with has the most arrogant programmer I've encountered and I've seen a lot of them. Turns out they ignored what I told them to do (they know better) and the consequences were finally noticed recently. What a prick that guy is.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed May 24, 2023 2:50 pm

Just received a job description from a potential employer. Under the requirements header is the following:

• Keep track of all your time in a tracking application

I may just outright reject this one

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:08 pm

That's a big no for me as well. Way too old for that type of ****.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:09 pm

People have been working for months trying to get enough signatures and support for a Pitt Staff Union.

Benefits just announced today that their email sent last week claiming no increase in cost was incorrect and the price of the highest level of insurance would be going up 6%. They also removed certain features and added a deductible for "non-copayment services" that was not previously there.

What do you know, an email gets sent out not even 2 hours later saying "Hey we got enough signatures and are filing for an election on June 5".

I'm not saying correlation equals causation here, buuutttt considering they've had people all over campus for the past 6+ months asking to sign the election interest cards, the timing is hilarious and seems like a real self-inflicted wound by HR/upper admin.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 25, 2023 3:34 pm

Man this is annoying. I went from a fairly autonomous position that was driven by a good process. To a person coming in having no idea of the process and shooting from the hip on all of their requests. ALl it does is cause fire and headaches all to say we're "efficient and fast."

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu May 25, 2023 4:13 pm

As a leader, you have a responsibility in trying to right this person. “Hey, Chief. Thanks for the request. We typically don’t do this because our procedure documents say we do that instead. Please let me know if you’d like to explore that option. Appreciate your understanding.”

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 25, 2023 4:16 pm

Yea, I've been working on it. They're my boss now, so it's a bit tougher, but this organizational change/sweep seems like they want it to be "move fast, break everything" rather than "move quick and just do it right."