Job and General Employment Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Today's bathroom update:

Grand Central Station in full effect while taking the Browns to the Superb Owl, I estimated 25-30% of urinators use soap to wash their hands. People are freaking disgusting man.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:45 am

My wife works for a network of PT clinics as a floating aid, she finds out her work schedule the night before via text and she works everywhere from New Castle to Bellevue to Oakmont depending on need. It ends up being part time most weeks and the schedule blows for trying to plan anything.

She was asked by one of the clinics to interview for a full time position with them, at their Perry Hwy location which is close to us. Sounds like the interview is basically a formality. It's been a pretty **** month for her so I'm hoping this isn't some kind of f***ery and she is working full time next pay period.

Secondary but important, I'm hoping they offer her health coverage so I can drop her from mine. $500 a month in my pocket per month would be just super.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 am

Source of the post $500 a month in my pocket per month would be just super.
Ouch. I assumed that your health coverage would be much cheaper given the employer.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 am

Crap (not really).

It is, I was looking at the employer share, my mistake.

My share would drop from $372 to $159 a month. Still nice!

(Employer share is $1,063 to $479)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am

The big Fortune 500ish company here in town requires spouses of employees to get insurance, if available, through their own employer. Is this common practice elsewhere?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am

The big Fortune 500ish company here in town requires spouses of employees to get insurance, if available, through their own employer. Is this common practice elsewhere?
We used to have a policy that if you used your spouses insurance at her employer instead of our insurance you would get paid extra.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

It's probably headed in that direction. I'm insured through my wife's policy only because my company charges $60/pay period if insurance if I cover my family and insurance is available through my wife's employer.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:13 pm

My company places a $100 surcharge on my paycheck if I put my wife on the insurance and she is offered insurance at her company. Since she's a float (not part time), she is not offered insurance and therefore can go on mine without the fee.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm

@nobody

Does your organization do Quality Step Increases? Was wondering how common they are.

Just got my performance review and I completely dominated. In the past when that has happened I usually get a one time award. Thinking of asking for a QSI instead. Obviously the QSI pays out much higher in the long run, but I can only recall ever hearing of one person getting one. I think it's kind of bold to ask in my first year but with the Performance Eval system changing this spring (bye, TAPES) it might be worth reaching for the brass ring here.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 pm

My wife works for a network of PT clinics as a floating aid, she finds out her work schedule the night before via text and she works everywhere from New Castle to Bellevue to Oakmont depending on need. It ends up being part time most weeks and the schedule blows for trying to plan anything.

She was asked by one of the clinics to interview for a full time position with them, at their Perry Hwy location which is close to us. Sounds like the interview is basically a formality. It's been a pretty **** month for her so I'm hoping this isn't some kind of f***ery and she is working full time next pay period.

Secondary but important, I'm hoping they offer her health coverage so I can drop her from mine. $500 a month in my pocket per month would be just super.
See above post. My wife also is a PT float, and gets the runaround quite often. She'll be scheduled to work at Presby, and as soon as she shows up will get a text saying they need her at Mercy instead. She gets paid for the time, but not the extra travel.

Floating has its perks. She doesn't have to work holidays, and even though she technically has to work 1 weekend a month, they don't enforce it. She can also take vacation whenever she wants instead of having to schedule 6 months in advance, and not guaranteeing she'll even get the dates based on how many others request the same dates.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:25 pm

She likes some aspects of it. But she doesn't accrue paid vacation and often will drive somewhere to work and if enough patients no show she leaves after like four hours. It's not ideal. Given some other life challenges she has going on right now the stability of a set schedule, benefits, and a paycheck sounds really appealing to her.

This is unskilled aide work so we're talking about all this hassle for $11/hr.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:26 pm

I would hate to travel that much for work, especially during the winter months.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:10 pm

She likes some aspects of it. But she doesn't accrue paid vacation and often will drive somewhere to work and if enough patients no show she leaves after like four hours. It's not ideal. Given some other life challenges she has going on right now the stability of a set schedule, benefits, and a paycheck sounds really appealing to her.

This is unskilled aide work so we're talking about all this hassle for $11/hr.
Is your wife working as a PTA now? She's in PT school, right?

From my understanding and having worked and spoken with a lot of them, the relief felt by aides (nurse aides, PT aides, etc) graduating and getting their RN/PT license is insanely gratifying. Still hard work, but wayyy more lucrative (and generally less gross).

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Yeah, she's been working as a PTA for over a year. Had a sweet full time gig in WI and then we moved here and she started floating.

She applied to three programs and is currently rejected by one, waiting for the second round on another, and waiting for initial acceptances to be announced for the third. Hoping to hear back from the last one next week. She would start in the fall if accepted.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:44 pm

Was assigned to be our company's lead technical contact for all things NASA today.

I'm practically an astronaut. 8-)

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

You guys make Tang?

Congrats!

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Cool, sounds fun... :thumb:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Was assigned to be our company's lead technical contact for all things NASA today.

Awesome! Reach out to @Juice... I heard his organization was involved in the design of some sort of space box.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

That's pretty sweet, good on ya.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

He's a spaceman.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:03 pm

I believe the current title is actually Little Rocket Man.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:04 pm

HEY. That's Dr. Little Rocket Man to you, pal.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Dotard.

Juice

Postby Juice » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

NASA fraud box inspector, checking in.
I wonder if you put one of those boxes inside of a studio apt and heated up the inside of it and then opened the door if it would be better than using the furnace? Like, BTU wise?

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

How hot would you heat the inside? Like 500? Or the normal 350?