Job and General Employment Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:03 pm

"Hello, I think you sent me an email but I have already accepted another position and have blocked your mail. Unfortunately, we have had over two weeks of fruitless emails etc. I would suggest that in the future once you write to someone to expect a phone cal that you actually make sure you follow through. Not doing so puts you and your company in a less than professional light and wastes the other person's time. Best to you with your future career."
Why is she wishing you best of luck on your future career? You are currently employed and she was the one looking for a new job.

I'm also sure that last response was mere coincidence and had nothing to do with the email that she "blocked."

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm also sure that last response was mere coincidence and had nothing to do with the email that she "blocked."
Yup. People are funny.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Five days left, then on to something totally different after 14 years. I’ve had the same cube the whole time (although I did switch what side my docking station was on a year ago).

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm

(although I did switch what side my docking station was on a year ago).

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:39 pm

My work day is done at 3:30, but of course I have a meeting scheduled from 2:30 to 3:30. Takes some real stones to schedule that ish.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:57 pm

Started looking into some school options to boost ye resume, as I'm finding it increasingly difficult to remain in my field. Checked out the Paralegal Cert program at Cal...... $8,000 for eight credits.

:|

FistOfCaufield

Postby FistOfCaufield » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:26 pm

The average price of a health plan through Obamacare in PA is around $3k annually.
What is the deductible? I never understood the any discussion of health care insurance costs that don't include the deductible. I mean if you net $7k in extra salary per year - I might store that away for a rainy day at least for a year or two based on the deductible.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:31 pm

It's somewhere around $2500-$3000 in PA, I think. (As an average across all coverages)

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

I have an interview for a position at my current company, it'd be a promotion.

They put me in the same conference room I have a meeting in the hour prior. So when everyone's leaving the meeting, I'll just be like "hmm I'm staying here" as HR and the hiring manager walks in.
Great.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Why not mention this to HR

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Go take a leak and then slink back in.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Is anyone else amazed by how much money kids in their 20’s are making these days? My son graduated PSU engineering a few years back and from hearing from him and his friends and classmates, I swear the average salary for 25-30 year olds is damn near 6 figures, if not above. Above for sure for the pharmacists and others with advanced degrees.

Of course, everything is more expensive these days, and that sucks. And I’ve done incredibly well in my career with plenty to retire and then some, so no jealousy here or anything. Just feel others I grew up with didn’t have things as easy.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:55 pm

Median age of a Facebook employee :29

Median salary at Facebook: $240,430

shrug

mikey

Postby mikey » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:43 am

Average salary of people who suck or do not suck? A lot of people complain that salaries for that age group are not helpful enough to overcome student loans...#BigEducation

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 am

Average salary of people who suck or do not suck? A lot of people complain that salaries for that age group are not helpful enough to overcome student loans...#BigEducation
It’s not just loans. I saved for my son and he has $0. Many of his friends come from successful families who also have $0. Maybe it’s just a Penn State thing. Lots of those families do come from affluent areas outside of Philly, NJ, NY, or even further.

But for those not fortunate to have parents who saved, in your 20’s, beyond loans, you’re probably going to be paying for: a car, a home, a wedding, kids even. That’s a LOT.

So, if anything, higher salaries these days seem justified.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:50 am

Compared to inflation, wages for that age group have not risen. If anything they've fallen behind the rate of inflation. Combine that with higher average school debt coming out of college and you've got what we're seeing now: people in that age group not buying houses and not having kids. Yes, the anecdotal evidence and "well, they should have thought of that before college..." or "well, they shouldn't have went for that type of degree..." stuff is out there, but the averages speak for themselves. Kids these days aren't raking in the cash in their 20's compared to prior generations.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am

Is anyone else amazed by how much money kids in their 20’s are making these days? My son graduated PSU engineering a few years back and from hearing from him and his friends and classmates, I swear the average salary for 25-30 year olds is damn near 6 figures, if not above. Above for sure for the pharmacists and others with advanced degrees.

Of course, everything is more expensive these days, and that sucks. And I’ve done incredibly well in my career with plenty to retire and then some, so no jealousy here or anything. Just feel others I grew up with didn’t have things as easy.
I started in 2003 as an ME in 2003 at 40k. The kid we just hired accepted 55k with a Masters here in KC.
It’s very industry and region specific.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 am

So - I hate my new job. For a multitude of reasons. But this morning has me over the edge:

Been here going on 4 months. The only upsides are commute and benefits. I got handed a pile of crap when I walked in the door. Little in the way of instruction/guidance. My boss is extremely hands off. I go to a person that is not in my line of supervision (who doesn't want to touch what I do with a 10 foot pole) for questions and boss only begrudgingly gets involved when he absolutely has to.

Part of what I have to do is needed by someone in California. Back in March, he was onsite here, telling me all the demands he had for my final work product in order for him to do what he needs - i.e. needs to be presented a certain way, this needs to be here, this needs to be here. I was literally here for less than 3 weeks and nothing he was saying made sense because I hadn't even gotten started with the real work yet. So, my non-supervisor told him to please put the list of demands together so we had something to refer to. This was never done.

In the meantime, CA guy also "trained" me on some ERP software so I could try to pull some data myself ad-hoc because what I was given was such garbage. That was about 20 mins. When I called a few weeks later to ask for a point of clarification, he said, and I quote: "<silence> Uh....I THOUGHT we talked about that, but okay." :shock: Dick.

Forward to current day, when I still don't have demand list. I emailed for it. No response. Emailed again. Yesterday, I get: "I’m sorry, I forgot about this. I will try and put together the file today or tomorrow." Then this morning, in my inbox: "I think what I am going to do is share a file with you so you can pull this information yourself. Let’s discuss tomorrow. I’m very, very busy these days and I literally do not have the time to spare at the moment, but I will spend 15 minutes walking you through how our <<what you need>> works. I am crossing my fingers, please tell me you have <<software>> installed as an add in on your machine in <<software>>????"

Seriously???????? You're going to "train" me in 15 minutes on both what you need AND how to pull this massive amount of data? Eat a ****. And there's literally nothing I can do about it, because when I remarked to my boss about the "uh I thought we talked about that" comment, I was told "Yeah, <guy> can be like that but he'll get you what you need."

Am I crazy or is this BS?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 am

Median age of a Facebook employee :29

Median salary at Facebook: $240,430

shrug
Awesome I fit this model exactly...as long as you take the two of the front of the salary...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 am

We had a....woman of color interview for our company yesterday. These are real questions and answers from her interview:

Q: What will you miss most about your current job?
A: I don't have to do much.

Q: Why do you want to be in this field?
A: It's so simple, not hard work.

Q: How do you feel you'll be able to establish yourself with the team?
A: As long as everyone is nice, it should be fine.

Q: Why should we hire you?
A: *starts crying* -- "Black women are always stereotyped and your company should give me a chance because of that reason and I deserve to prove myself to be stable and end up secure in my financials."

:lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am

...so when does she start?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am

Is she applying to turn a wheel in the center of the Earth...? If so, she's got my vote...

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 am

We had a....woman of color interview for our company yesterday. These are real questions and answers from her interview:

Q: What will you miss most about your current job?
A: I don't have to do much.

Q: Why do you want to be in this field?
A: It's so simple, not hard work.

Q: How do you feel you'll be able to establish yourself with the team?
A: As long as everyone is nice, it should be fine.

Q: Why should we hire you?
A: *starts crying* -- "Black women are always stereotyped and your company should give me a chance because of that reason and I deserve to prove myself to be stable and end up secure in my financials."

:lol:
She's adding to the stereotype. :face:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 am

BTW, my favorite posts on this board are shad's bad interview/application posts. They brighten my day.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Not that anyone cares, but update:

Non-supervisor's response: "Oh no!! That is so frustrating!"

Boss's response: "We all have to get along."

I feel like I'm on Candid Camera or something.