Job and General Employment Thread

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:20 am

:D I was being facetious.

Edit: my profile tells me this - (2.93% of all posts / 14.68 posts per day)

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:47 am

Facetiousness always implied, Silen.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:49 am

Not always! I endeavor to change my shitposting ways.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

Please do.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 am

It's a really exciting time right now for my company... we're on track for our first million dollar month, hiring new people left and right, plans are drawn up to break ground this summer on an extension to our building that will double the size of our current location, new and interesting opportunities popping up daily and I get to be a part of the decision making. Couldn't be happier with my job at the moment.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am

That sounds pretty dope, c2i. Things are continuing to trend up at my place of employment as well. Our new events center is going up as we speak, and slated for open in Jan, of 2019.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:02 am

Molto grats, c2i.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Late to the party on this, but good luck on your job search!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Awesome stuff c2i

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:52 am

Got a thousand dollar bonus today because of the corporate tax cut.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 am

I was asked to cut 10% of next year's budget for "reallocation" towards improved student financial aid packages. :(

Also, my first two paychecks this year (I get paid monthly) have been exactly the same as the November and December paychecks. No tax cut for me, evidently.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Any benefit to sending a resume to a company through their own website vs the Indeed/CareerBuilder/etc site where I found the listing?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:11 am

Any benefit to sending a resume to a company through their own website vs the Indeed/CareerBuilder/etc site where I found the listing?
Not really. They all usually wind up in the same place (whatever ATS they are using, and the only difference is the referral source). I know I told you this already, and I tell it to anyone that is using Indeed, which I recommend...ALWAYS make sure you select the option to use your own formatted resume, and not their preformatted garbage that it turns yours into.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 am

Yes, that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 am

I've seen what the indeed resumes look like on the other side... couldn't agree more. They look terrible.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:22 am

Indeed.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am

So there's a company on the other side of my town called Plenty, that's trying to make urban farming a thing. They do vertical hydroponic vegetable stuff, using a fraction of the water and land resources of traditional farming. They are looking for a paralegal with my broad skill set (honestly, I tick more of the 'would like to have' boxes than I do the 'requirements' boxes, but that's neither here nor there). I never considered the possibility would ever exist where I could bring my professional competencies together with my personal passions; I hope this goes somewhere.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:35 am

I've always liked the idea of those things that you described...years and years ago I saw one of them setup somewhere and was quite fascinated by it...but never had the assets to invest in one or do anything substantial to that effect...

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I visited a homestead near Waco (no, not that one) that does their own aquaponics gardening using reclaimed rainwater. I was ready to buy some tilapia and install a water collection system off my roof the day I got home.

That would be really cool to have a decent paying job doing that kind of stuff. Good luck tif.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 am

In other news, two senior directors made a big architecture decision today without anyone's input, and now us engineers have to go up the chain to make sure that the horrendously awful and inefficient decision is changed. I'll never understand why some people make technology decisions like this without the input of the architecture and engineering staff. This particular decision goes against all best practices, including the vendor's.
I hate seeing somebody lose their job, but the main senior director that everyone here complains about was let go yesterday. He never seemed to get accustomed to the culture here.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 am

I visited a homestead near Waco (no, not that one) that does their own aquaponics gardening using reclaimed rainwater. I was ready to buy some tilapia and install a water collection system off my roof the day I got home.

That would be really cool to have a decent paying job doing that kind of stuff. Good luck tif.
Ditto to this. However, I don't think I'll ever have the disposable income to do this for real.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 am

There's a team piloting 3-day work from home right now. One of the things they're testing out is that if you participate in this, your cube becomes a shared cube to be used by anyone. So, there will be random cubes throughout the building (3 floors in total) that are shared spaces. I'd love to add another WFH day, but I'm not sure about giving up my cube and possibly sitting in random cubes every week. I don't think this policy is going to be manageable at all, and hope that they wind up simply creating a "shared cube" area on one of the floors without having all of us give up our cubes. That said, this would allow me to save nearly $8k/year in before/after school care, so I'd probably just accept the conditions in the end.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

Similarly, I did the math and realized that I'm paying over $2k a year for parking, and that's only three days a week. Granted, that number is greatly reduced by using PTO, field site visits, etc. The only other way around it is for me to use a park and ride, but the only one that makes any sense is in Troy Hill (Spring Garden) and doubles my commute time. It's kind of **** up that Rt. 8 doesn't have bus service.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am

It would be easier if I didn't have a big corner cube with floor-to-ceiling windows, but $8k in savings is going to be hard to pass up. If the before/after school care facility actually allowed me to pay for the days I needed care I'd probably just keep my current schedule. As it stands right now, I'm going to be paying for a full week even though my daughter will only be going to this before/after care once/week (daycare/school is a racket).

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, that's rough. I have a window cube now. They're trying to consolidate IT with the normals in the future, which likely means we'll be moving to one of their floors and be given the internal cubes since the people up there that have windows have been entrenched for decades. Not looking forward to it.
They're also redesigning everything to the open floor plan hive environment, clusters of half-wall cubes with little common areas. Great! Oh, wait, I'm an enterprise asset that doesn't work with the local team at all. So I will have to do my job while dodging everyone else's phone and sidebar conversations. Yay.

Hopefully I'll be in Europe by then.