Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:26 pm

Hope you're getting compensated accordingly, my dude. Get that cheddah!

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:33 pm

One day until vacation. Our immediate team is just a team of 3, with us working along side one larger team when needed.

Everyone knew I was going on vacation next week. Teammate 3 of 3 tells myself and our other teammate that he may have forgot to mention it but his wife is expecting to birth their first child either this week or next week. How does one forget to bring that up in say any of the past 9 months? He's a contractor not FT like we are, so he is only going to probably take a week off, but still.

It's not the end of the world as the one guy on our team that is going to be by himself for a week can totally handle the workload, as I did the job by myself for a year + before we hired on more people. With that said I still feel bad. I just don't understand how you can just forget to tell the two people you work closest too that you are going to be out a week or so for the birth of your child until a few days before it actually happens.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:36 pm

He conveniently forgot.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:48 pm

One day until vacation. Our immediate team is just a team of 3, with us working along side one larger team when needed.

Everyone knew I was going on vacation next week. Teammate 3 of 3 tells myself and our other teammate that he may have forgot to mention it but his wife is expecting to birth their first child either this week or next week. How does one forget to bring that up in say any of the past 9 months? He's a contractor not FT like we are, so he is only going to probably take a week off, but still.

It's not the end of the world as the one guy on our team that is going to be by himself for a week can totally handle the workload, as I did the job by myself for a year + before we hired on more people. With that said I still feel bad. I just don't understand how you can just forget to tell the two people you work closest too that you are going to be out a week or so for the birth of your child until a few days before it actually happens.
Is there evidence that she exists and is pregnant?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:54 pm

Is there evidence that she exists and is pregnant?
He lived in Ohio and got hired during covid so I've never met the guy face to face. He doesn't seem like one to lie but who knows.

Not really my business either way, just thought it was weird and kind of a dick move to drop it on us less than a week before it's supposed to happen.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:12 am

My wife technically hasn't started her new job yet (next week!) but I am already a big fan of her new principal.

The principal emailed all staff yesterday and announced that due to security/COVID, no family members will be allowed on campus to help setup teacher's classrooms. My wife was already working me to take an afternoon off to help schlep the rest of her teacher crap from her old classroom over to her new school, help move furniture, make multiple runs to Target/Walmart etc.

So sorry I can't help. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:50 am

My wife technically hasn't started her new job yet (next week!) but I am already a big fan of her new principal.

The principal emailed all staff yesterday and announced that due to security/COVID, no family members will be allowed on campus to help setup teacher's classrooms. My wife was already working me to take an afternoon off to help schlep the rest of her teacher crap from her old classroom over to her new school, help move furniture, make multiple runs to Target/Walmart etc.

So sorry I can't help. :lol:
I feel this in my bones. I love my wife with all of my heart, but I **** hate helping set up her classroom. Every year I question why the school hasn't installed A/C yet. I honestly have no idea how she works in that heat, not to mention the students trying to learn in that.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am

My boss wants me to start handing off responsibilities and direct reports now since they are stressed about me leaving for my maternity leave and don't want a hole in work they aren't prepared for..

I'm loving this.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:54 am

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but that's a good thing, IMO. Much better than the 'pray nothing happens' approach.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 am

I have one more meeting this morning....and I'm already total vacation mode.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:02 am

My boss wants me to start handing off responsibilities and direct reports now since they are stressed about me leaving for my maternity leave and don't want a hole in work they aren't prepared for..

I'm loving this.
That was an excellent feeling for me when I went on parental leave. I could just say no to new responsibilities since I would be away from work (and even give away a few)

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:28 am

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but that's a good thing, IMO. Much better than the 'pray nothing happens' approach.
Oh, that was not sarcasm. This is really great.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:44 pm

I actually have my email box down to 0 Emails unread. I don't think that has ever happened.

Let my teammates know where things stand, all I need to do is put up my Out of Office in the next hour or so...turn everything off, and disconnect form work until Aug 2nd.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:37 am

I had a call today with the lead engineer of my friend's group, where I will be applying to. Seemed really down to earth, and the conversation went really well. What they're doing is exactly what I want to be involved in, and my own skill set fills some of the gaps that they currently have. Doesn't hurt that I have multiple people - including the Sr. Director - vouching for me. Now I really, really want the position.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:08 pm

He's a contractor not FT like we are, so he is only going to probably take a week off, but still.

He didn't 'forget'. He's maximizing his contract time. I'm not defending it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had some lingering "if I take leave they'll let me go" kind of thoughts.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:10 pm

I had a call today with the lead engineer of my friend's group, where I will be applying to. Seemed really down to earth, and the conversation went really well. What they're doing is exactly what I want to be involved in, and my own skill set fills some of the gaps that they currently have. Doesn't hurt that I have multiple people - including the Sr. Director - vouching for me. Now I really, really want the position.
Good luck to you. That kind of 'buck fever' is a great feeling.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:10 pm

I have one more meeting this morning....and I'm already total vacation mode.
I had two, and my second one started with an admission that I don't have much mental capacity left.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:21 pm

Got the job I was interviewing for, but now heading into a second weekend of no official offer because the position and pay require executive approval and he's off the grid banging his mistress in Bali or some ****. I'm annoyed and just want to give my current manager (who I really like) my notice so he can quit assigning me **** that I don't want to do.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:25 pm

Congrats DD.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:28 pm

Congrats, DD. Hope I’m in the same boat as you sooner rather than later, because I’m dying inside right now over here.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Nice. Lots of job changes with FAFers lately.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Congrats, DD. Hope I’m in the same boat as you sooner rather than later, because I’m dying inside right now over here.
Fingers crossed for you. I took this job with the intent of carving out a career path here in mac-land and it just hasn't worked out in any way. Everything that has aggravated me about this job has ramped up to 11 over the past month and I'm just looking forward to getting the hell out. This new gig is gonna jump my career ahead like 10 years vs. if I stayed where I'm currently at, so I'm really looking forward to it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:56 pm

Fingers crossed for you. I took this job with the intent of carving out a career path here in mac-land and it just hasn't worked out in any way. Everything that has aggravated me about this job has ramped up to 11 over the past month and I'm just looking forward to getting the hell out. This new gig is gonna jump my career ahead like 10 years vs. if I stayed where I'm currently at, so I'm really looking forward to it.
I legitimately thought this would be where I would retire, and if not for one single choice in leadership, it may have worked out that way. Once I realized that there was no upward trajectory for me here, it was the beginning of the end. Add in the fact that three other really great techs left, and I’m really all that’s left with that level of skill on my team. We’re going in the wrong direction, and leadership doesn’t seem to care.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:43 pm

The job posting is now live, and one thing I immediately noticed is that they actually provide the salary range for the position. I make more than the low end, but if they come anywhere near the middle, it would be an instant 20% raise.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:58 pm

You want to be at the top of that range.