Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:49 pm

I think this is a case of bias, personally.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 am

officially lame duck status. Have two weeks on this current job - but can't start anything new, and am amidst passing stuff off.

Strange but good feeling, as I'm now just reaching out to people I'll be managing and scheduling get to know you meetings with them.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Our company just posted results of an employee survey. Overall company score of 76/100. Our division? 38/100. Not surprising at all.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:59 pm

The higher ups when everybody back in the office by the end of May. Why? No **** clue.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:06 pm

THis just rubs me the wrong way. I did the dirty math, and basically what I do now is work maybe 4-8 more hours a week being WFH.

If we go back to the office full time, those 8-10 hours are gone due to commuting, lunch breaks, and god knows what else when people stop at my desk.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 pm

THis just rubs me the wrong way. I did the dirty math, and basically what I do now is work maybe 4-8 more hours a week being WFH.

If we go back to the office full time, those 8-10 hours are gone due to commuting, lunch breaks, and god knows what else when people stop at my desk.
Yep - I put in way more hours working from home full time. Call it a consolation, as it still allows me to spend more time with my family. If they told us to come back in, I would be an 8 hour/day guy and not a second longer.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 pm

Yep agree.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm

I'm going to talk to my supervisor and see if I have any other options. My immediate team is entirely located in Michigan, by the way, so there's nobody in the office and we'll be meeting over Teams anyway.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:59 am

Got my wage tax refund from Philly yesterday, surprisingly. They had us jumping through hoops this year with new requirements thanks to Covid. At any rate, this check fully covers the remaining balance on our tile floor install in a few weeks, so this is great timing.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:07 am

Yep agree.
Yup. I am happy to sign in early and schedule calls after 5 right now. That will definitely change when we eventually go back.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:20 am

Absent visio, is there a non-annoying way to create workflows in microsoft office?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

Absent visio, is there a non-annoying way to create workflows in microsoft office?
If I want to create something quickly, I use this site: https://app.diagrams.net. You can save as many image formats, and even export to VSDX. Completely free.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:52 am

If I want to create something quickly, I use this site: https://app.diagrams.net. You can save as many image formats, and even export to VSDX. Completely free.
perfecto, so if i save one of these as an "xml", can it be put in a powerpoint or excel?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:07 pm

perfecto, so if i save one of these as an "xml", can it be put in a powerpoint or excel?
Nah, the easier way to do it would be to save as JPEG or PNG (image format), and just copy it into PowerPoint as an image. That's exactly what I used this site for, to create a quick flowchart for a PowerPoint presentation.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm

Boss man (like not my manager... CEO of the company, boss man) stopped by my cube today for the sole purpose of telling me I've been kicking ass through this whole pandemic. "When you speak, people stop what they're doing and listen because your knowledge and work is just that important here..." Was really cool. After my previous "boss" (I use quotes because he was my grad school advisor) was a complete jackwagon, it's nice to get recognized when you've put in the work.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:47 pm

Tell him to shut up and give you a raise

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:58 pm

He did... at the start of the year.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:04 pm

The "hey let me CC my soon to be former boss, and he can take over this work" is a fantastic feeling email.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:28 pm

Delay that one for the last minute you’re in your current position.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 am

My three days per week of WFH ended when my boss demanded a promotion, gave an ultimatum, and left for an 8 day vacation. Now it looks like they are letting him stay until June, while I get groomed to take over.
This didn't work out for him, lol. His last day is the 28th, and I'm effectively in charge now while he lame ducks.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am

My wife, for the first time in her 25+ years as an elementary school teacher, did not sign (on the first or second day it was available) her contract for next school year. Usually, she signs it without thinking about it.

But the last couple of years, even pre-pandemic, have been pretty tough on rural educators. The number of qualified teachers leaving the profession is pretty unsustainable. They have 5-6 positions every year open up in her school, and manage to fill them all, but the quality drops each year. Of course, there are many veteran teachers who are useless - they don't go anywhere, add nothing to grade level planning, and generally drive everyone nuts.

The district is so inept that my wife gets called upon (and paid extra stipends) to do things that mid level administrators should be doing.

For instance, our district is using Biden Bucks for an afterschool program for students failing math and reading. The state department of education and our district stated that this program should be run by an assistant principal. Except for my wife's school, the assistant principal is a baseball coach and has a PE degree and is useless. She gets to do that job, because she is competent.

Then she gets a call from one of the assistant superintendents who asked her to complete 3rd and 4th grade math curriculum for the entire district, because the committee they assembled (which she was a part of) couldn't get their **** together and work like adults to finish the job. So she gets to do it, in addition to her regular job and her role as afterschool program coordinator.

And they wonder why competent teachers are leaving the profession?

I know she'll end up signing it by the deadline in May, but this is a first for her to wait this long.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am

Hehe. Kane got groomed

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:06 am

My mother probably has another 5 years or so in her teaching middle school math. This year broke her. She will be retiring at the end of the year.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:29 am

mrs meow teaches middle school math. We figured out what she brings home an hour two years ago. It was less than minimum wage. She is definitely one of those teachers that does it for the love of it and pay takes a backseat, but it is telling that that’s what one of the best teachers in the state (finalist for state teacher of the year) makes. Pathetic.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:52 am

mrs meow teaches middle school math. We figured out what she brings home an hour two years ago. It was less than minimum wage. She is definitely one of those teachers that does it for the love of it and pay takes a backseat, but it is telling that that’s what one of the best teachers in the state (finalist for state teacher of the year) makes. Pathetic.
No lie, >50% of the people I went to school with are now teachers, and this appears to be standard across the board.