Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm

It’s technically not a violation for us thanks to HIPAA’s vague ass regulations, but we did have somebody complain recently. That complaint sparked a shitstorm where upper management wanted to implement 1-minute timeouts for locking and monitors to turn off. Providers told them to **** off and nothing was changed, which was the right move.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm

An internal client didn’t care for a design of some animated ads I produced. No sweat, just let me know what isn’t working and I’ll rework it. It’s part of the job. Instead, she reaches out to an agency to totally create a new design and calls them “samples.”

Writing this out I realize how this doesn’t sound like a big deal. And maybe it isn’t. But that’s just not how this works. Revisions are included in the process. And having an outside agency produce a new design rather than letting, you know, the design team make revisions is an insulting move. To top it all off, what they produced is garbage.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Sounds like you may have actually just dodged a bullet.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 pm

I told her “thanks for the samples” then turned in my own redesigned pieces that look nothing like what they did. I’m sure the company appreciates her wasting a bunch of money on “samples.”

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed May 08, 2019 7:24 pm

:)
I was happy to find that I could disable that on the last laptop that work sent me.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Hiring manager wanted to schedule an interview with me for this past Monday. But only that day and in the late afternoon and I couldn’t reschedule. He sent the request a week ago. He wanted interviews done by the end of day Monday. The catch? He lives in Hawaii. So his late afternoon was 10PM for me. Stupid me accepted. I had to wake up at 6AM, work all day, then come home and go straight to coaching my son’s T-Ball game. After that a late dinner and then helping to put four young kids to bed.

I did the interview but I know I didn’t do good because I was so drained. Confirmed today when I notified that I was turned down. Oh well, I may have dodged a bullet there.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:36 pm

That sounds like a "checking the box" type of interview, like they need to have X amount of interviews, even though they have an internal candidate. He must know you live on the east time zone? What kind of person would require an interview that late? Someone with the results already predetermined.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 10, 2019 7:14 am

Last day at my current job, do I do nothing, or nothing?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am

I'd do nothing and leave at lunch...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 10, 2019 9:38 am

Well my old boss is taking me to lunch so I'll at least stick around for that

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 10, 2019 9:39 am

Leave in the middle of that lunch...power move.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 am

I'd leave an upper decker if I didn't like the guy that had to clean it up...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 am

Last day as a federal employee

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 am

tyfys

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 pm

I took the day off today to go see Endgame, but I'm so busy at work that I've put in a solid 3 hours so far. :(

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri May 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Those logs won't dump themselves...

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am

Daily reoccurrences here in Cube Farm Hell:

- The guy who lives in West Virginia loudly let’s everyone know he lives in WV, and in the country, and he’s a Trump supporter

- One of the PMs plays with a mini-drone that makes the worst sound ever. It actually hit my monitors yesterday while I was on a conference call.

- Some of the PMs constantly throw stress balls at each other

- The quasi HR rep asks GoT questions even though she is five seasons behind and clearly just is watching to fit in and be popular. Plus she yells at people who reveal spoilers.

- A mid-20s single and childless PM complains a few times a day how tired he is. I love hearing that as a guy in his 30s with four young kids. I’be Been tired everyday for about ten years.

I can’t wait to leave here soon.
Last edited by pens9192 on Wed May 15, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 am

Source of the post Daily reoccurrences here in Cube Farm Hell
Speaking of cube farm hell, it was announced at our most recent town hall that my building will go through renovations on each floor. Facilities wouldn't directly answer our questions, but we all think that we'll be losing our high wall, 7x7 cubes in favor of the new 'standard' 6x6 cube with 4' or so tall walls. One department on another floor already has them, and everyone hates it. You can hear everyone's conversation, and you lose at least half of your storage space. Not sure if my team will be an exception, since we have so much hardware.

On top of that, we're also temporarily moving to a new floor while the renovations are completed. My biggest fear is that they rearrange us, and I lose my prime window cube. I'll deal with a tiny cube if it means I keep the location. If I lose the location, I'm immediately giving up my cube entirely and doing 50% work from home, where my time on-site will be spent in one of the new 'hotel' areas.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am

Source of the post Daily reoccurrences here in Cube Farm Hell
Speaking of cube farm hell, it was announced at our most recent town hall that my building will go through renovations on each floor. Facilities wouldn't directly answer our questions, but we all think that we'll be losing our high wall, 7x7 cubes in favor of the new 'standard' 6x6 cube with 4' or so tall walls. One department on another floor already has them, and everyone hates it. You can hear everyone's conversation, and you lose at least half of your storage space. Not sure if my team will be an exception, since we have so much hardware.

On top of that, we're also temporarily moving to a new floor while the renovations are completed. My biggest fear is that they rearrange us, and I lose my prime window cube. I'll deal with a tiny cube if it means I keep the location. If I lose the location, I'm immediately giving up my cube entirely and doing 50% work from home, where my time on-site will be spent in one of the new 'hotel' areas.
I hear ya. We got notice that we are moving buildings and there's a whole new floorplan. Only upper management get offices in the new place. I'm losing an office and a reserved parking spot because there are no reserved spots at the new place. On the bright side, I maintain a window view and my cube (shudder) has higher walls than most.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 am

I sit in that exact 6x6 with 4’ high wall cube. They are the worst.

My team is global and none of my meetings are in-person. I could technically work anywhere and do this job but I’m not allowed to work from home yet. I know because I used to work 100% remote for three years at another job. The two other local members of my team only work in the office 1-2 days a week.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 am

Our team is segregated from the rest of the cube farm, as we all sit in a corner area of the building. We're all respectful of the noise issue, so as much as smaller cubes would suck, at least we know we won't piss each other off in that area.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 pm

The idea of working in a cube farm like that gives me nightmares. I didn't mind working in a pit like that when I first came out of college and was working in a sales atmosphere. But at this stage of my career, the thought of being in direct eyesight of everyone in the room sounds awful.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:16 pm

They also mentioned 'improvements' to our work from home policy, so I'm hoping that it means I won't have to actually come in as much anymore.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:00 pm

We were provided with access to a "disaster recovery mode", which would allow us to remote access our work desktop from any device at any location.

But we aren't allowed to work from home unless we jump through the hoops and:

1. Have space for a desktop that can be plugged directly into the internet (no wireless)

2. Have space for 2 monitors

3. Have a landline to direct calls to

98% of my job can be handled out of office. It's confusing why the uppers are so against letting people work from home.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed May 15, 2019 1:03 pm

I probably would install a landline if it were a stipulation for WFH but I'd be pissed off about paying for it.