Postby dodint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Ouch.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Not that anyone cares, but update:

Non-supervisor's response: "Oh no!! That is so frustrating!"

Boss's response: "We all have to get along."

I feel like I'm on Candid Camera or something.
Have you tried burning the place down?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Wasn't this the place you didn't want to be at...?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:20 pm

Ahhhh, supervisor wants to discuss our open positions in ten days, when both of us are back from our vacations.

My guess is that I'm losing one position which will cause us to close early, which will infuriate the students (hopefully) and force the administrators to allow us to rehire the closed position.

This has happened twice in five years, but they don't seem to remember this outcome. It's like they all get together and try to outsave the college money.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

@Lemon Berry Lobster Yes, I think of burning the place down every day.

@mikey And yes, it's the place I already didn't want to be at.

I've had a bad feeling almost since I walked in the door. Literally the only upsides are fantastic commute and better than average benefits. Plus some of my coworkers are nice.

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if it's a bad thing to leave a job after 4 months. How do I have yet another conversation to explain the workload is too much and there is zero support.

I have an in with a former boss doing not my ideal job for a small paycut though non-bonus eligible - so I'd be giving up bonus, but I don't count on that money anyway. So not ideal job, less than ideal commute. But I know the person I'd be working for.

I'm really struggling in life right now. :(

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Oh, and the guy in CA had "10 minutes before he had to leave for his chiropractor" appointment to have a call with me this afternoon. At the end of the 10 minutes, he asked me if I understood, at which point I said, "No", and he just told me to look at the spreadsheet and basically I'd figure it out.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:13 pm

60sixx: "To many job choices, boo"

tif: " Booooooooooooo"

;)

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Aw, man.....

It's not like too many job choices. More like the lesser of two evils. "Where would I be less miserable?"

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if it's a bad thing to leave a job after 4 months.
I'm really sorry to hear it isn't working out, but PLEASE stick with it for a year. No matter how justified you may be in seeking another job, a less than six month stint is tough to explain effectively when applying for another position.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Shad's more in it than I am...but I'd rather see you just rip the band-aid right off...if you have a bunch of experience (weren't you 20+ years at another company?) and then you have a 3-month stint, yeah, they might ask...but just explain...it wasn't a fit for me because x, y and z. A good company has an open conversation with a potential hire...holding on for a year is arbitrary in my opinion...

If you have 9 jobs in 16 months ok...yeah...good luck...but 10 years, 20 years and then a little baby stint at a place you hated, meh, a good place won't care and a bad place isn't worth working for...

I went a few years at a place, then went 3 or 4 months at another before leaving for my current job...it didn't even come up I don't think...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Mikey has a good point. If the rest of your job history is solid, you definitely have a lot more leeway. The key, of course, is to not trash said employer in an interview, which I'm sure you know. "I was thankful for the opportunity, but realized early on it wasn't a fit." And when you explain why it wasn't a fit, be sure to highlight YOUR positive attributes and how you felt you weren't going to have a chance to use them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 pm

I stand with mikey. Much easier to demonstrate the self-awareness that it isn't a good fit, and you're not interested in wasting anyone's time (especially yours).

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Life's too short, if you have an opportunity to jump and save some of your sanity, do it.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks for all the advice.

For me, I have 2 options. Stick it out here or go to work for former bosses (my immediate boss and department VP from prior job now work together at the same company in same capacity.) Former boss has told me that the 4 month stint is no factor, they know me and my work product.

Today I'm just numb, yesterday was brutal emotionally. So I'm going to take 1 day and not think about it, just try to get through the day, then start to come up with a plan.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am

We didn't start the fire...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 am

I use two different networks at work. Both appear to be down after some sort of reset or update. So nothing for me to do this morning until they get it fixed.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am

Good idea to take a day or so to think. I know it's been 4 months so you have a good feel but a lot of people make knee jerk choices and then regret it. But you've been pretty steady on your feelings for the new job.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 am

Ps. Good luck!

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 am

Just to reiterate, I knew probably three or four months in that it wasn't a good fit at my last gig. I toughed it out trying to make it work, and in so doing put myself through the worst year of my professional life. Don't force it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am

Yeah get out if you hate it. If you were at the last place for a while, I think it should be pretty understandable that you aren't a flight risk and just ended up in a spot you didn't fit at

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am

Something else I don't understand here.

On the quarterly earnings call, they flat out stated that the company "needs" to hire more people of a certain....let's say demographic...in order to comply with their mission of "diversity."

That's clearly why the one girl in our department was hired. She was hired with ZERO experience. Her English is terrible, she has no self awareness, can't compose basic emails. In the 4 months I've been here, I've seen her constantly get work taken away from her as she doesn't understand it. Every day, she spends HOURS with another person in the department getting her questions answered. She also clearly doesn't understand the answers, so she goes around from person to person asking her questions a different way, in the hopes that someone will just do the work for her. And if you remind her that she was already told the answer, she plays dumb like she doesn't remember or puts it on others that they weren't clear.

The general consensus from management is a warm body is better than no body.

Oh - and they just hired another person from this demographic that starts in August.

So you just hire people from this demographic to check off some "diversity" box? To the detriment of your existing, competent workers?

It's crap like this that baffles me - how is this a multi-billion dollar worldwide corporation with crap like this happening?

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:21 pm

#shadtrigger

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Ahh, the joys of quotas. Goddamn I'd be apoplectic if I was there, sorry 60sixx.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Oh, and the guy in CA had "10 minutes before he had to leave for his chiropractor" appointment to have a call with me this afternoon. At the end of the 10 minutes, he asked me if I understood, at which point I said, "No", and he just told me to look at the spreadsheet and basically I'd figure it out.
I am pretty sure I used to work for this guy at the old Fore Systems/Marconi.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 pm

I also found out the guy who I replaced here worked here for 2 years....until the day he put his laptop and ID badge in the boss's inbox and left.

So there's that. :shock: