Job and General Employment Thread

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 am

Wow could you just not with all the sexism...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Good one shad
I'm not sure if you actually believe Ned is me, but I'm fcking miserable today. Absolutely positively do not want to be here.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Sweet Jesus. I just overheard our new IT Director - who is a PhD in literature, but added a Master's in Instructional Technology - ask what a VPN was. :face: She relished and bragged about not having internet at home a few years ago, because she didn't want to be tethered to work. :lol:

This **** place. They go the cheap route by promoting from within so they can say they didn't create or add new positions, but add responsibilities to totally unqualified people. Same as my supervisor, who has no supervisory experience and only meets when she needs something or to tell me bad news.
Do they put "M.Sc. IT, PhD" at the end of their e-mail signature? If not, they should.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Sweet Jesus. I just overheard our new IT Director - who is a PhD in literature, but added a Master's in Instructional Technology - ask what a VPN was.
Of all the ridiculous things I've heard in here, this one takes the cake. This is so beyond the realm of belief, but I'm sure you are telling the truth. My goodness.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:06 pm

"it is with mixed emotions" what a lame line for resignations/organizational announcements. isnt there a more creative way?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Like what, smarty pants?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:09 pm

The scene from half baked is the only way to quit.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:09 pm

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Like what, smarty pants?
idk but 100% either say
IT IS BITTERSWEET
IT IS WITH MIXED EMOTIONS

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:16 pm

The scene from half baked is the only way to quit.
Wrong again.

NSFW language, obvs:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 pm

haven't seen waiting in awhile - but I would imagine you'd get a general majority saying that Half Baked was the obvious answer

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Like what, smarty pants?
idk but 100% either say
IT IS BITTERSWEET
IT IS WITH MIXED EMOTIONS
It is with mixed emotions that I announce that this post stinks.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Good one shad
I'm not sure if you actually believe Ned is me, but I'm fcking miserable today. Absolutely positively do not want to be here.

90% joking

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Shaf’s alias is blue. PSU colors are blue. Confirmed.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:22 pm

haven't seen waiting in awhile - but I would imagine you'd get a general majority saying that Half Baked was the obvious answer
Morkle gets it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Good one shad
Not exactly a strong denial here. Though to be fair, Ned does know denial

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Hoooo boy.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:59 am

Question for fed workers on here:

Last week I accepted a TO for a job with the VA. Today I received the email with the SF85P instructions. The email said it is a Tier 4 Level Investigation (High Risk-BI. Does that mean this Background Investigation is higher scruntized than other Public Trust levels?

How is best way to inform my current employer that may be contacted? Due to the nature of my job, if I tell my employer now that they might be contacted for an interview/questions they might end my employment that same day I notify them.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:14 pm

When is your onboard date? Chances are they will grant an interim based on the input from your SF-85P and then validate it after you have already onboarded. Lots of people back out at the last minute and they won't want to pay for an investigation until you're in the system. If it comes back unfavorably you lose your job but my guess is you wouldn't be applying if you had something to hide.

If the gap is short I'd turn in your SF-85P at the end of the window they gave you and just never inform your employer. If the gap between your TO (now) and your Entrance On Duty (EOD) date is several weeks then your risk is higher.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

When is your onboard date? Chances are they will grant an interim based on the input from your SF-85P and then validate it after you have already onboarded. Lots of people back out at the last minute and they won't want to pay for an investigation until you're in the system. If it comes back unfavorably you lose your job but my guess is you wouldn't be applying if you had something to hide.

If the gap is short I'd turn in your SF-85P at the end of the window they gave you and just never inform your employer. If the gap between your TO (now) and your Entrance On Duty (EOD) date is several weeks then your risk is higher.

I don't have an EOD date yet. I have until July 27th to submit SF-85P and my fingerprints. I'm just starting on the SF-85P now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:38 pm

To answer your other question, the Tier 4 BI is the highest scrutiny for a Public Trust investigation. My clearance is TS and is a Tier 5, though the difference between Tier 4 and Tier 5 questionnaire is supposedly 118 pages of questions so the gap is pretty large.

The Tier 4 Background Investigation "is composed of a NACLC plus a ESI; interviews at employment, schools, and residences for the past 5 years; and review of any court actions for past 5 years." The NACLC is "composed of a NAC plus credit search and checks at local law enforcement agencies where the subject has lived, worked, and/or attended school within the last 5 years, and if applicable, of the appropriate agency for any identified arrests. Further, as a GS you'll have to do an ANACI which "is composed of a NACLC plus written inquires to current and past employers, schools, and references covering past 5 years."

If I were you I would contact the HR rep you're working with and see if they know what EOD they're looking for, would help you in your decision process. They always start on the Sunday of a new pay period so they should have three or so dates already in mind. Anecdotally OPM has been, for years, very far behind on these investigations. If I were in your position I'd roll the dice, but anything can happen and you need to acknowledge that risk and do what's best for you.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm

ok thanks, good to know

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

I have never seen this before: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversig ... be-filled/

It's the hiring process broken down into steps, see the Previous and Next navigation links at the bottom to move between the steps. I linked to Step 12 when they do the investigation. Pretty cool.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:21 pm

If you describe your job opening as needing a rock-star, you have a job that doesn't pay enough and it likely sucks.
Our wonderful office manager is returning to school in the fall so we are looking to fill this part-time position and will not settle for just anyone. We are looking for a rock-star who takes pride in their work to become the newest member of our team of rock-stars.

If you think you are our rock star, please send your resume to the email below along with a professionally written paragraph
Sure, let me, a rock-star send you a professional paragraph after you've made it clear it's a position for a rock-star, not a professional.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I am a recruiter by trade and holy fcking sht I HATE the "rock star" stuff.