Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am

This person is 1000x more dangerous than Stan.
Very much so, which is why everyone on our floor is worried. My boss is basically the wall holding back this water of crazy, so if it spills over, I could see a mass exodus.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:06 am

I don't understand how crap like this goes on at companies, and how long it goes on. Happened at my old place a lot too. Part of the reason it went under, in fact.

Are you looking @NTP66 ?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:07 am

He lives in Philly, leave him there.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 am

I don't understand how crap like this goes on at companies, and how long it goes on. Happened at my old place a lot too. Part of the reason it went under, in fact.

Are you looking @NTP66 ?
No, I'm not currently looking. I do love this job, so I'm being patient with the entire situation. If my boss leaves and is replaced by one of her minions, things could change quickly. We're the highest performing group in all of IS, so we don't need her micromanaging bullshit.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 am

Kill her?

-mikey, probably

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 am

I'm listening...

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:17 am

It's sad that I can't even imagine what it's like to love your job.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 am

Yeah, that's really unfortunate. This beast aside, my company has been great to work for. Work/life balance is outstanding, the IS group as a whole is strong and friendly, and the pay/benefits are good. If she actually showed up to work more than twice a week, it might not be as much fun in the office.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am

Ya ya ya ntp that's great but 66 when are we going to get a Stan update?

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 am

Typing on mobile so forgive my errors.

After being talked to twice, he took an hour and a half lunch again last week. Got talked to again. He just nods his head and offers no explanations.

Maternity leave person came back on Monday. She was reviewing important master schedule that we all go in and update from our respective responsibilities. He had been asked to review this to make sure everything was entered. They subsequently discovered that he had changed the schedule, added and deleted columns and data without questioning anything first. It was completely hosed up. To the point one of my coworkers was openly crying at her desk bc she had to redo all of her work. This was deemed not to be Stan’s fault though because “he’s new” and it makes sense that a new person wouldn’t ask questions. ? My big issue is he was never even made aware of the error - you should at least know you did something wrong FFS. Do you want him to do it again??

The best part is maternity person has decided she doesn’t want to deal with him so he’s on day 4 of being ignored and sitting at his desk with nothing to do while the rest of us run around like chickens trying to get the work done.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am

So are we back to killing him, or just lighting the whole place on fire?

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:01 am

Yeah, I think that would have absolutely torn it for me...I can't speak to where you rank, but I'm pretty you've been in your industry for like 20 years or so...I have a nice title here, I'm trusted here and I make it known when something is wrong and in no uncertain terms either...sometimes I cross a line and sometimes it's a little upsetting to people at the time, but at the end, most people come back to me with a "ya know, you were right..." talk...

Going on a ten-hour lunch, meh, whatever...I can make jokes about that and move on...destroying my/others work with nincompoopery, that's when I get the baseball bat out...two hits, I hit you, you hit the floor...

Time to rise up 60sixx, get some friends and make it known that you not only have an unproductive employee but a counterproductive employee and it is deeply affecting the competent workers here (and then point to all the people who are along side of you in this office)...I'm not typically a pro-ambush person, I don't get upset about 99.9% of all things that happen in any meaningful way in fact...but this calls for action...

What you permit, you promote...

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am

That’s the thing, mikey. It’s generally accepted that “that’s the way things are here.” Main boss and maternity person rule. What they say goes. They are in constant cahoots and keep everyone under thumb. People legitimately live in fear of them here. Every conversation is calculated - what to say, what to omit so that the cart isn’t upset. Everyone is held down too. For example, Molly ran the ship while maternity person was out. 12 hour days, worked every weekend. Did a phenomenal job. She’s been here awhile too. Prevailing thought is she’d get promoted upon maternity persons return. Nope. She got told she won’t get promoted until maternity person does - bc MP can’t handle someone being on her same level and MP can’t get promoted until this one guy retires. It’s ABSURD. But again, just totally accepted.

So if I don’t like it, I gotta go. Which is fine, except I am just too afraid next place will be as bad or worse. And people keep saying “there’s no way it’ll be as bad/worse” but I don’t believe them bc I never ever in my wildest dreams could’ve imagined what goes on here.

So I just stay here, paralyzed, and let it affect my mental/physical health.

Oh, and I’ve been working for 21 years, but only 11 in this field. My confidence in my abilities is totally shot after being here for 7 mos. My boss makes me feel dumb a lot but when I tell him that he acts like I’m crazy. Molly has told me that if you’re looking for validation of your abilities here (specifically from him), you’re barking up the wrong tree.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am

*whistle*

Please cut and run. I've seen first-hand what a toxic environment does to a person's mental state. My wife is infinitely happier since she got out of her last job, and it wasn't nearly as bad as what you've been describing us.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 am

I think I posted a while back how my wife was looking for a new job still being a PA but getting out of her current area(Leukemia service at Shadyside). Well today she finally got the offer she was waiting for. Still a PA at Shadyside and sometimes Presby, but in the Cardio Thorasic service, and it's out patient clinic. So no more weekends, no more holidays, and she gets to work in a much less stressful environment.

I am so excited for her as she will be less stressed. Still makes the same $$$ if not more, gets all holidays/weekends off. No more 12 hour days or 15 or 16 hour days in reality that she was doing now. She also will get student loan forgiveness since this will be paid directly through UPMC and not through a 3rd party doctors office... so while it's a long way away... she could eventually have several hundred thousand dollars of student loans forgiven. She doesn't get credit for the 5 years she already put in though.. which sucks.

Either way this is the best news she could have gotten job wise. She won't start till 10/28 since she has to officially resign and she can be held for an additional 4 weeks since its a UPMC to UPMC transfer, but still.. there is light at the end of the tunnel. She will be the 4th person that has quit her service since August. Everyone is jumping ship because of how bad it is. She is the most tenured and they tried to guilt her into staying, but she stayed strong.. and is doing what is best for her for once and not for them.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 am

Nice! Congrats to your wife

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:44 am

That's awesome, good for her. :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 am

:thumb: I feel as though we need more good stories in this thread to balance out the ****.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:22 pm

That's awesome.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Another PA on her team also put in her resignation today.. so that is now 5 since the beginning of August.

All of their meetings on trying to make things better were too little too late... mass exodus.

She still feels guilty about leaving, but I said see how guilty you feel when you put in a 15 hour day this sunday. Or the next time you get saddled with 15 patients to see in a day and you have no real way of seeing them all effectively... it's still going to be a long 4-5 weeks, but come the end of october things will be so much better. One of the other PA's she is friends with also went to this new clinic and says how much less stressful it is. She loves what she does, and she wants to help people, but she feels she can't effectively or safely treat people with how things are set up now.

So happy for her though. she said she felt such a weight lift off her shoulders today.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:04 pm

That's one reason I'm happy my wife is becoming a PT. Their days can be packed and stressful, but everything is by appointment.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Nice skullman! PAs/NPs are the future of medicine, IMO.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:23 pm

All the doctors are really trying to guilt trip her into staying now that she officially accepted the other position this morning. She still has to write her letter of resignation, but told her just to tune it all out, be professional and just make it through the next month or so.

She told her boss in January she was going to start looking, her boss asked her to give them 3 months to make things better.. she gave them 9 and things only got worse. Not sure what else they expect a person to do.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Your wife certainly gave them enough time to get their act together. Sounds like it's just going to be their loss now.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:31 pm

It sounds like they are also going to try and play the "extenuating circumstance" card since its a UPMC to UPMC transfer and try to hold her longer. They can hold her 4 weeks in general. I told her if they try that you tell them you want to see that policy in writing.