Job and General Employment Thread

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:24 pm

One of the few perks of higher ed: spring break is this week. Just got the early dismissal email to log off since we have tomorrow off.

Happy weekend

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:46 pm

I've been 12 month faculty, so I get nothing unless I take leave. Boo. Our spring break was last week fwiw

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:20 am

Giving notice on Monday. It is SO HARD to keep it a secret from the people I care about at work lol and from my boss, knowing that I'm not going to be here.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:45 am

Good luck, Morkle. It's a weird thing to do. I remember giving my provost the news...she was shocked, to say the least. I still feel weird about it two years later.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:47 am

The only place I've ever left without it already bein readily apparent to the organization that it was happening was when I left my teaching job. There, the school board was just like "meh... whatever". I'd imagine this kind of situation is way more awkward, so best of luck. Hopefully they do the right thing and are excited for your new venture and opportunity.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:48 am

Yea, it's going to be interesting. Our VP just quit/got fired, and our revenue is way down, so it's about to get way rougher. I really do feel like I'm getting out of this business unit at the right time now.

Now if I could just get over this pesky imposter syndrome.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:50 am

Keep in mind that just you being concerned about this is showing more loyalty than they ever would to you if your position was eliminated.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:51 am

You rarely are able to rid yourself of imposter syndrome 100%. You just learn to control it.

I've been at this job almost 2.5 years and I still feel like I don't deserve it during the less than busy times. Always feels like there's something I'm not doing that I should be.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:53 am

Today is bonus day at work. We got our biggest one in my 22 years with the company. Can't imagine this is a very productive day, company-wide.

It was enough to pay off a car, two credit cards, a vacation house at the beach, pay my taxes and car insurance, and put some aside for a reno project. Good times, good times.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:55 am

Same here for bonus day, RF. Enjoy it!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:05 am

I created a 'Resume Workshop' Teams channel at work where we compare job vacancy notes, resume tips, and discuss interviews. The only people that are not in it is our supervisor and the other team leads. There are no secrets on our team, at least at this level. :lol:

I have a second interview at the nuclear propulsion lab. So that's cool.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:17 am

I created a 'Resume Workshop' Teams channel at work where we compare job vacancy notes, resume tips, and discuss interviews. The only people that are not in it is our supervisor and the other team leads. There are no secrets on our team, at least at this level. :lol:

Good luck!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:28 am

Our company has monthly lunches where a group or department get together and cook for the entire company. They're reimbursed for what they purchase as far as groceries and whatnot, just takes time to do the cooking. Every winter pre-covid, the R&D group would cook soups, make salads, and I'd bake fresh bread. We just haven't done it since December 2019 for whatever reason.

As you could imagine, there's been a lot of new faces over the last 4+ years. Yesterday was the first time since then that I baked bread for the company, and holy crap.... people that I barely ever talk to have been coming to me and asking for the recipe and how long have I been baking and just wanting to talk about bread. :lol:

It's nice, but it's distracting. It'll die down by next week. I just hope they don't expect this to become more regular.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:34 am

Good luck!
Thanks. It's three days a week in office. I don't think they'll be able to offer me enough to compensate for the costs of that. I'm going to need about $20k above what I'm making now and I think they're only going to offer a $9k bump at best. We're talking 6 hours a week commuting, $90/wk dog daycare, fuel costs (turbos don't do well in stop/go Rt. 30 traffic), etc. And that's before factoring in the flexibility I'd give up.

I don't even hate the idea of hybrid work. I applied to work at the IRS in Monroeville too. But the drive from Latrobe to West Mifflin looks like a complete slog.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:42 am

The drive from anywhere not already in the South Hills to West Mifflin is a complete slog....

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:40 pm

Keep in mind that just you being concerned about this is showing more loyalty than they ever would to you if your position was eliminated.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:14 pm

I've been using my wife's laptop for work all day since my PC is being used to clone TiVo drives, and I must say... I hate this. I don't know how anyone actually enjoys using a laptop on a daily basis.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:15 pm

I have docking stations both in office and at home. I notice no difference than when I was on a desktop and I prefer the setup I have now. Otherwise, no way do I use a laptop.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:17 pm

I mean using it as-is, with no docking station/keyboard/monitors. Sucks.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:21 pm

One of the guys on my team works this way 100% of the time and it shows.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:23 pm

My laptop hasn't been opened since like my 2nd day. It sits folded and only hooked up to serve my two monitors and the hub where everything is plugged in.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:25 pm

My laptop hasn't been opened since like my 2nd day. It sits folded and only hooked up to serve my two monitors and the hub where everything is plugged in.
This is basically how my wife works. Doing simple tasks on this old HP ENVY also exposes its age. Brutally slow doing basically anything. I have become spoiled with my custom desktop.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:27 pm

I bring my work laptop to meetings and such, that's the only time I ever open the clamshell. (But even at that I use a Bluetooth mouse, trackpads are ass) My personal laptop has not been opened since the day I bought it and went through the initial setup.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:20 pm

You rarely are able to rid yourself of imposter syndrome 100%. You just learn to control it.

I've been at this job almost 2.5 years and I still feel like I don't deserve it during the less than busy times. Always feels like there's something I'm not doing that I should be.
This 100%. I was at my last job for 11 years and there were days when I thought I was the **** and other days when I wondered why they kept me hired

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:04 pm

The easiest way to get over imposter syndrome is to realize everyone else is a bigger fraud than you are...