Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:16 am

I'm on a new project with the worst PM in the history of PMs. Day 1 of the project, he e-mails everyone telling us to reply back with our tasks, how long they will take, and if there are any dependencies. NOBODY HAS BEEN GIVEN ANY INFORMATION AT ALL, SO IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW WHAT OUR TASKS ARE YOU MONKEY'S ANUS.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 am

Check your spam folder...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 am

That information isn't e-mailed; we haven't had a single meeting on the project yet. I don't think he understands the purpose of a project.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:33 am

"meetings free days."
Are you hiring? I haave 9.5 hours of meetings scheduled today
my old job was like that. There was a point where I had more meetings than actual work time during a week. It was something like 20-24 hrs of meetings in a week. An absolute waste of time, which can be said for a good number of those meetings.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:26 pm

My meetings have exploded since the work from home.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:07 pm

SAP holds a huge conference in Orlando every year- virtual due to COVID this year. For reasons unknown I decided to view the keynote this morning. Absolute ****. Website didn’t work so they started casting to Twitter and Linkedin halfway through. No clue what it was about since I missed the first half.

Also they replaced their gregarious, back slapping, BS artist but entertaining American CEO with a German guy whose presentation was more boring than paint drying.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 am

My boss routinely puts in 12-14 hour days. Lately, she's been saying things to the team like "we're all salary so we're expected to put in more hours." I fundamentally disagree with this. As long as I'm getting my work done, I don't see the benefit to working more than 40 hours a week. Am I being an entitled millennial?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:17 am

Source of the post Am I being an entitled millennial?
Nope. Those who believe you need to put in a minimum of x number of hours per week are from an older school of thought that's thankfully dying off.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:18 am

My boss routinely puts in 12-14 hour days. Lately, she's been saying things to the team like "we're all salary so we're expected to put in more hours." I fundamentally disagree with this. As long as I'm getting my work done, I don't see the benefit to working more than 40 hours a week. Am I being an entitled millennial?
No, f' that unless it is part of the job at the outset or is occasionally needed.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:22 am

Nope. Those who believe you need to put in a minimum of x number of hours per week are from an older school of thought that's thankfully dying off.
This.

I'm salary. Thankfully my boss doesn't micromanage. Some days I leave early, some days I stay late (if needed). He knows I get my stuff done and he has told me that there is no need to keep track of the teams time because we get stuff done.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 am

My boss's promotion is official now, so he's two rungs above me with a vacancy in between. He wants me to apply for it and he made sure the announcement included Pittsburgh so I would be eligible. It would be my first time as an actual supervisor, and I would be supervising the team I work on now. I'm not enamored with the idea but it is the next logical step. My hope is that one of the Team Leads, who make the same as that position, also apply and beat me to it so I can just take their position and not have the supervisory responsibilities.
Being a supervisor in the government isn’t worth it. Low pay relative to private industry and a **** ton more bureaucracy.
Right. The only reason I'm considering it is because I work on a quality team in a fairly progressive organization. The opportunity to supervise them is likely one of the few supervisor opportunities I would entertain. That said, it's still writing performance evaluations and attending way more meetings than I would like.

As for the money, it's not a motivating factor for me. Especially now that we're ditching the mortgage. If I really wanted to make excessive money I'd take my Top Secret clearance, cyber experience, and law credentials and go consult and make bank. I deflect recruiters regularly, just not interested in giving up the first real stability I've had since my early 20s. Maybe later.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am

This.

I'm salary. Thankfully my boss doesn't micromanage. Some days I leave early, some days I stay late (if needed). He knows I get my stuff done and he has told me that there is no need to keep track of the teams time because we get stuff done.
This is my boat too. My old company used to preach that nonsense, you're salary! So work your ass off! This was because they hired college kids right out of the gate and just used them until they quit.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:09 am

Younger managers tend to help, IME. The newer generations seem to care much more about work/life balance, because who wants their entire life to be spent at work? **** that noise.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 am

Yeah so my manager just celebrated her 35th year at the company and has no plans to step down.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 am

I've lost count of how many times the owner of my company has told people "family first, work second". My manager gives me free PTO like it's candy. While I appreciate it, it also feels dirty for some reason to take it.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 pm

It’s a trap

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:51 am

Got a somewhat unexpected 1.5% bonus for my annual review. The bonus has become regular but the amount was about 3x what it normally is, so that's nice. Enough to pay for my race car motor or that hunting rifle. Most likely I'll just dump it towards a car loan I've been very aggressively paying off though.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:09 pm

A month ago I waiting for a second interview with a company and they emailed me saying they had to reschedule. And then two days later said they just made an offer to someone but I was "at the top of our list in case another position opens up" Riiiight.

Fast forward two weeks later and I get an email that there is another opening and a recruiting coordinator will reach out to me to schedule the technical interview. Email comes the next day asking for my open date and times. That's where communication stopped. I replied that I was wide open and never got a reply back. I followed up two times to no reply. Then 17 days later they finally reply to one of my emails that "we just filled the position, my apology. We hope you keep us in mind for future career opportunities."
F*** off. Top of their list, my a**. I wasted over a month trying to schedule a f'n second interview and this company can't communicate or keep track which positions are available. Incompetent recruiting team. They are on my blacklist now.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:25 pm

^^ which is why I'm not afraid to get on the phone to the contact if they ask me a question via e-mail and I answer it and they don't get back to me within one business day. If you have to play the role of pest to keep communication up, do it.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Yeah. It really sucks that applicants are expected to kiss ass, thank each person individually, and then there are companies out there that don't even have the decency to give an auto generated email "thanks but no thanks'

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Upcoming changes due to Covid:
  • Voluntary furlough
  • No paid time off cash outs allowed
Possible future options under consideration
  • Temporary removal of 403b match
  • Mandatory furlough
  • Voluntary separation process
I cashed out 40 hours, due next week, so I guess that's over. Gonna have no choice but to take more time off so that I don't hit the max now.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:20 pm

You could cash out PTO? Wow.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:23 pm

Yeah, up to something like 200 hours. I cashed out 80, I think, and was looking forward to that check. I hope they don't hold back the match, though. It has been over a year since our pensions closed, and our match is supposed to deposit next week. But again, if that's what it takes for us to keep our jobs, so be it.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:33 pm

My company dropped our match and contribution awhile ago.. really sucks. But atleast still working and getting paid

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 pm

My company dropped our match and contribution awhile ago.. really sucks. But atleast still working and getting paid
Did they do it in response to Covid, or was this a permanent change before this all started?