Job and General Employment Thread

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Got the boot today. 4 weeks of severance pay, and remaining PTO paid out. Was planning to leave anyway so I'll take the money and move on.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Sorry, but good providence on the next step

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Got the boot today. 4 weeks of severance pay, and remaining PTO paid out. Was planning to leave anyway so I'll take the money and move on.
That's a good attitude to take.

Business down from the plague?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Down big time. Worked on equipment that was mainly used in the oil and gas field. Had become unhappy with the conditions. Good experience for the resume, have plenty of LinkedIn messages for work relating more to what I did before. Going to take a little time off and re-evaluate. Know some people I can do under the table work for so honestly it was kinda for the best.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear that, LBL. Good luck.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 pm

Yeah, Edgelord. Hoping this is a positive turn for you in the end. Sounds like you think it might be. :thumb:

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Bleh, sorry buddy...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks guys, definitely think it's for the better. Second shift was dragging me down. Was unhappy with the product line I was on due to limited help and training. I'll land on my feet, always do

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 pm

Looking for some tips! A company has set up a couple followup interviews with people I have already talked to. I'm assuming this is to see if any new questions have come up on either side. Any thing I should do to prepare?

I've had a really great impression of this place, and have already asked so many questions.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm

Looking for some tips! A company has set up a couple followup interviews with people I have already talked to. I'm assuming this is to see if any new questions have come up on either side. Any thing I should do to prepare?

I've had a really great impression of this place, and have already asked so many questions.
I’m always a fan of using “tell me about” “talk to me about” “walk me through” and you could put anything in there. Culture, team identity, person that excelled in this role previously, person that didn’t excel in the role and why, coaching approach, coaching style, view on leadership’s role in the team.
I’m a big fan of those open ended questions because you typically get a lot more out of them. Also be prepared for a wage conversation and always negotiate.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:21 pm

I’m always a fan of using “tell me about” “talk to me about” “walk me through” and you could put anything in there. Culture, team identity, person that excelled in this role previously, person that didn’t excel in the role and why, coaching approach, coaching style, view on leadership’s role in the team.
I’m a big fan of those open ended questions because you typically get a lot more out of them. Also be prepared for a wage conversation and always negotiate.
I like all of this. :thumb:

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Dunno if you asked these already, but I always ask, "What is a day in the life of someone with this role?" (this usually gets a 'oh..good question' from the interviewer before they start their answer) and "What is your favorite part of working here?" (I interviewed two different times with different people from Amazon's InfoSec group and their answers for this question were not very convincing. It swayed me not to apply there again)

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 pm

Is this the fraternity?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:53 pm

A friend of mine from college posted this cool job with Disney Streaming services in the Research Triangle:

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/job/morr ... 1/16991017

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Is this the fraternity?
I said I had a good impression of this place, what do you think :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Hah. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:24 am

Everyone in IS has to take 16 vacation days from July through the end of the year in an effort to lower labor costs and stave off more severe changes (layoffs). We're all happy to do it if it means people keep their jobs. So far, we haven't received any push back from management in terms of how long things are taking to complete, and so long as that continues, I guess it'll be fine. I am noticing that it's becoming difficult to get certain things done with teams who only have one or two people who handle that particular area. Frustrating, but such is life right now. Hopefully, it's only temporary.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Got my determination letter in the mail. Glad I worked all that OT last year, $70 less per week to not work ain't too shabby

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Got my determination letter in the mail. Glad I worked all that OT last year, $70 less per week to not work ain't too shabby
Make sure you put in 8 hours a day looking for work.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:00 pm

Make sure you put in 8 hours a day looking for work.
Well duhhhhhh

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 am

So I'm talking to my mom just now on her home phone, and then I hear her work phone ringing in the background - she's using the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme song for those clowns. :lol:

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:10 pm

I’m in a pickle here and looking for some advice.
Background
I’m in my role which is recruiting and I’m excelling. This is with a small company. They don’t have an actual training program. Through my interview and now working I’ve explained my process and recruiting conversation to my boss. He loves it.
The Pickle
My boss has asked me to basically build a training program from the ground up and give it to him. I’ve done this before at a previous job. My problem is that I don’t think I should be expected to do this for free. I know the amount of work that goes into this and feel that if I was doing this as a consultant I’d be getting paid a hefty fee to do this.
What is the best way for me to approach this?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:48 am

I'm not sure you're going to get a lot for this in the forefront, especially in tighter covid times...I don't know your exact job description, but this might be a thing where you have to produce results and then come back to using the innovation card...

It's not advice really, but...I don't know...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 am

When you say “do this for free”- how are you paid currently? Salaried?