Job and General Employment Thread

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:46 pm

There is a person in another department within my place of work that ends every email with 'Please email me back so I know you got this message. Thank you for your help.'

Yeah, not doing that. You can wait for the automated 'work is complete' email like everyone else.

Response:

🖕

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:48 pm

I would love to. He/she are nothing but a pain in the ass with everything he/she does.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:50 pm

My local/functional supervisor quit, his last day was today. He's a 14. The next guy under him is a 13, and will be putting in for the vacancy. I'm the next rung down, a 12. Currently I work in Pittsburgh by coincidence, 90% of my workload is enterprise tasking that can be done from anywhere. My real supervisor is in Mississippi.

There may come a point here in the next few months that I need to decide if I want to apply for that 13, which I should get. It would mean that I would 'transfer' to Pittsburgh and drop my enterprise role. It means giving up a ton of autonomy, and then all the stakeholders that I have to answer to would be here in the building. It would be a 12% pay increase and would make getting my next job in Europe a lot easier as I would be overqualified for mostly everything. But man, my current position flexible af and one of the easiest I've ever had, especially for the money.

I'm just going to tell myself that all this freedom will lead to boredom after another year or so, so I might as well put my nuts in the vice and enjoy the pay bump.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:58 pm

If it removes the doubt from your long-term goal, it seems worthwhile...yes?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Yeah. I mean, for the Europe thing, almost all the jobs there are 13 and below already, so the move would be a lateral or step-down rather than applying for a promotion. Like how even though Bylsma sucks he spent time as a HC so now the AC jobs are easy to get whether he deserves it or not.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Right. He removed any doubt. I don't know exactly know how it works, but I'd want to make sure I have my pick of the litter if I'm moving to another continent. Plus, 12% pay bump...not a big deal...you could move to Germany and become King of Siam...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Was trying to dig up a job announcement from another location to see what it would look like when I go to apply. Found a 14 back on the base I came from in Wisconsin. Making six-figures in backwoods Wisconsin is like millionaire money here. My wife would probably murder me, though...

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:40 pm

*Wiscaansin.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:07 pm

if you're gonna be a psychopath, then just put a read receipt that I won't acknowledge...
And immediately block you on Skype.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Was trying to dig up a job announcement from another location to see what it would look like when I go to apply. Found a 14 back on the base I came from in Wisconsin. Making six-figures in backwoods Wisconsin is like millionaire money here. My wife would probably murder me, though...
Not if you get her first...then you can be a Wisconsin millionaire and swimming in whatever plus-size milk models that God awful place (outside of Madison) has to offer...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:51 am

What acronyms/degrees is it appropriate to put on your email signature (or linkedin profile)? I think it depends if it's germane to your job or not. Professional certifications, OK. Advanced degrees, some are required, others I don't think so. I have my professional certification in mine but not my MBA. Who cares about my MBA, it's old enough to be a college sophomore now. It would just look like a brag attempt when half the people I am emailing already have an MBA or equivalent anyway.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:55 am

I wouldn't hire nearly everyone that I know who puts their [IT] certifications in their e-mail signature.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:03 am

What acronyms/degrees is it appropriate to put on your email signature (or linkedin profile)? I think it depends if it's germane to your job or not. Professional certifications, OK. Advanced degrees, some are required, others I don't think so. I have my professional certification in mine but not my MBA. Who cares about my MBA, it's old enough to be a college sophomore now. It would just look like a brag attempt when half the people I am emailing already have an MBA or equivalent anyway.
You are a MASTER of Business Administration. I say flaunt it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:28 am

I wouldn't hire nearly everyone that I know who puts their [IT] certifications in their e-mail signature.
If you were a CISSP you would. ;)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:55 am

If you were a CISSP you would. ;)
False.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:29 am

Talked to a guy that had CCNA cert in his signature and didn't know what SFTP was.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 am

Talked to a guy that had CCNA cert in his signature and didn't know what SFTP was.
This doesn't entirely surprise me. You don't necessarily need technical expertise to obtain most certs, and you certainly don't need to actually understand all of the material. This is only one example, but I used to work with a guy who had nearly every Microsoft cert that was out there, as well as at least one Cisco cert, and he was practically useless. He knew about certain things, but couldn't piece things together to actually make them work.

I have a number of certs myself, though I can't even recall exactly which ones. Not once have I ever included any of them in a resume, e-mail signature, etc.

Nittany Ned

Postby Nittany Ned » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 am

If you truly love what you do, you don’t dread Monday mornings, but rather look at them with excitement. Have a good week everyone.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:23 am

For realz?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:26 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 am

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 am

Good one shad

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 am

Of all his **** posts...this one is easily my least favorite...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:49 am

This doesn't entirely surprise me. You don't necessarily need technical expertise to obtain most certs, and you certainly don't need to actually understand all of the material. This is only one example, but I used to work with a guy who had nearly every Microsoft cert that was out there, as well as at least one Cisco cert, and he was practically useless. He knew about certain things, but couldn't piece things together to actually make them work.

I have a number of certs myself, though I can't even recall exactly which ones. Not once have I ever included any of them in a resume, e-mail signature, etc.
The only certificates I’ve ever put on my resume were my ASQ certifications and CSP certificates.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 am

Sweet Jesus. I just overheard our new IT Director - who is a PhD in literature, but added a Master's in Instructional Technology - ask what a VPN was. :face: She relished and bragged about not having internet at home a few years ago, because she didn't want to be tethered to work. :lol:

This **** place. They go the cheap route by promoting from within so they can say they didn't create or add new positions, but add responsibilities to totally unqualified people. Same as my supervisor, who has no supervisory experience and only meets when she needs something or to tell me bad news.