Job and General Employment Thread

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 am

Is the new job insistent on you starting a week earlier? You could say to them that you gave notice based on original start date and would like to keep that timeline in good faith.

Also, how long out is the start date from your notice? A standard 2 weeks or longer? If longer, I would say it's not unreasonable to bump that timeline back a week if you prefer to start a week earlier with new place.

If I were in your shoes, I would see if what I said first was doable.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:00 am

New job called last night and asked me to move my start date up by a week. I already gave notice to my current job about the original start date. It’s it completely unprofessional to change plans on the job I’m leaving?
It depends on how much notice you gave. If it was a two week notice and you are talking about moving your last day up to this Friday, that's not ideal. If you would really put your current employer in a bad spot by moving it up a week, your new company should be understanding of that.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 am

How did you feel about the interview? Stand-up double to left? Homerun?

I thought it went well. I really hammered home my experience in the systems I'd be using (one I haven't used yet, but I pointed to my quick learning in the others as a reason why I'd be able to get up to speed in it quickly).

They also showed me around after and had me meet one of the people I'd be supervising, so I'd like to think they wouldn't have done that if it hadn't gone well...

No idea the timeframe, so I'm just going to sit here and overthink everything I said for the foreseeable future.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 am

I gave them basically a month notice because they’ve been solid for me.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:16 am

I gave them basically a month notice because they’ve been solid for me.
I think it's fine to ask if that would put them in a predicament, and if not, to move your start date up.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 am

If you really like your current/old employer, you might be able to make both sides happy by putting in some extra hours in the time that you have left to transition things over so there's less of a gap.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:44 am

We were supposed to have our new head of IT show up here in Pittsburgh this week. Three days in and nobody has heard from him, he straight up ghosted everyone. This is a position that pays six-figures being treated like a fast food gig. :lol:

It's shitty in part because these spots take 4-6 months to fill and we have a guy sitting in temporarily. He's from Atlanta, he's cold, and he's ready to go home.
Last edited by dodint on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am

Sounds about right for the government.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am

How did you feel about the interview? Stand-up double to left? Homerun?

I thought it went well. I really hammered home my experience in the systems I'd be using (one I haven't used yet, but I pointed to my quick learning in the others as a reason why I'd be able to get up to speed in it quickly).

They also showed me around after and had me meet one of the people I'd be supervising, so I'd like to think they wouldn't have done that if it hadn't gone well...

No idea the timeframe, so I'm just going to sit here and overthink everything I said for the foreseeable future.
Being toured around is usually a great sign. Especially meeting other people. I used to do that when I was a hiring manager for people that were my top 2 candidates.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 am

We were supposed to have our new head of IT show up here in Pittsburgh this week. Three days in and nobody has heard from him, he straight up ghosted everyone. This is a position that pays six-figures being treated like a fast food gig. :lol:

It's shitty in part because these spots take 4-6 months to fill and we have a guy sitting in temporarily. He's from Atlanta, he's cold, and he's ready to go home.
SES gig or GS-15?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 am

Lots of people accept a position and as their EOD approaches they find another opportunity and bail; then the hiring folks either pick the next candidate in ranked order or scrap the list and re-announce. That happens a lot actually because of the elongated timeline of federal hiring. The entire time I worked in Wisconsin they were interviewing for, selecting, and the having people bail on the IA Division head position there. It would have been mine had I stuck around long enough. However; I have never heard of anyone straight up not showing and not calling, especially at this level.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:50 am

SES gig or GS-15?
GS-14. Makes $105k at step 1 in Pittsburgh, if he's been a 13 for a while or a lateral 14 it could easily be a $125k/yr job.

Not surprised he didn't show, but he completely ghosted everyone.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 pm

We start QA testing on our new W10 VDI in two weeks, and I’ve left everyone a nice present inside - which they cannot change. The default user profile photo:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Nice.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:44 pm

If you really like your current/old employer, you might be able to make both sides happy by putting in some extra hours in the time that you have left to transition things over so there's less of a gap.
Are you frigging high?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Lol

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Are you frigging high?
No, but I am sleep deprived.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Might want to sit the next couple plays out

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Don’t tell me what to do, *****.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Go work unpaid overtime for an employer you are leaving in a week.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:46 am

PM: "I need you to provide me with the following..."
Me: "I have no access to that info. The resource from [other team] can provide it, though."
PM: "Please contact [resource] and forward it to me."
Me: [forwards to my manager]
My manager: "PM, please contact the resource directly. You are, after all, the project manager."

:lol:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:57 am

Boooosh. Nice.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:09 am

In the professional world, that’s what is called “getting dunked on”

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:24 am

In the professional world, that’s what is called “getting dunked on”

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:54 am

Economists report that workers are starting to act like millennials on Tinder: They’re ditching jobs with nary a text.

“A number of contacts said that they had been ‘ghosted,’ a situation in which a worker stops coming to work without notice and then is impossible to contact,” the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago noted in December’s Beige Book, which tracks employment trends.

National data on economic “ghosting” is lacking. The term, which usually applies to dating, first surfaced in 2016 on Dictionary.com. But companies across the country say silent exits are on the rise.

Analysts blame America’s increasingly tight labor market. Job openings have surpassed the number of seekers for eight straight months, and the unemployment rate has clung to a 49-year low of 3.7 percent since September.

Janitors, baristas, welders, accountants, engineers — they’re all in demand, said Michael Hicks, a labor economist at Ball State University in Indiana. More people may opt to skip tough conversations and slide right into the next thing.

“Why hassle with a boss and a bunch of out-processing,” he said, “when literally everyone has been hiring?”
@dodint
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... bow&wpmm=1