mikey

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:30 pm

That's...that's what it's called...?

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm

That's...that's what it's called...?
For the last 3 years, yes. We also have State Holiday #2 which used to be called General Robert E.Lee’s birthday which is observed the day after Thanksgiving. Washington’s Birthday is observed the day before or the day after Christmas, depending on when Christmas falls. We do not observe President’s Day.
You really can’t make this stuff up.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm

That is outstanding...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:12 pm

Should have a state holiday once a month... We had new years off and our next paid day off is Memorial Day at the end of May. Bullsh*t...

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:28 pm

Should have a state holiday once a month... We had new years off and our next paid day off is Memorial Day at the end of May. Bullsh*t...
This has typically been true for me, but they finally added an additional "floating holiday", which will be observed on President's Day this year.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Similar holidays in SC, too.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:43 pm

We get 4 floating holidays a year, can use them any time, but I think they are meant for things like "good" friday ....well spring holiday now or whatever. Those are on top of the normal 7 holidays we get off.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:06 pm

We get:
New Years
MLK
Presidents Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Election Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

Used to get Columbus Day, but stopped. Also used to get Lincoln and Washington Days, but now just Presidents Day.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:09 pm

We get 9 a year. Depending on how they fall sometimes 1 or 2 are floating holidays.

Typical days off for us are New Year's day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and day after, Christmas and Day after, New year's eve.

NYE was going to be a floating holiday instead, but so many people take NYE off, they decided just to assign it to that day. July 4th's day will be on July 3 since the 4th is a Saturday. Personally, I'd prefer the two floating holidays, but I understand the business decision to just close on assigned days instead.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:17 pm

Today, I interviewed someone that was 6 minutes late to their interview. On a bank holiday when there's no traffic. No apology, no embarrassment. They said that their GPS told them it would take 20 mins to get there but it actually took 30. Honestly wanted to tell them don't bother. How are you not a minimum 15 mins early for an interview?

Guess that's better than the person on Friday who said the way to resolve conflict with a supervisor was to go that person's supervisor. :face:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Today, I interviewed someone that was 6 minutes late to their interview. On a bank holiday when there's no traffic. No apology, no embarrassment. They said that their GPS told them it would take 20 mins to get there but it actually took 30. Honestly wanted to tell them don't bother. How are you not a minimum 15 mins early for an interview?

Guess that's better than the person on Friday who said the way to resolve conflict with a supervisor was to go that person's supervisor. :face:
Yikes. That sounds like the person I interviewed who gave us a SIX page resume. They were late on top of everything else too.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Clearly the youngest child. That's always their tactic... "MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!"

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Yikes. That sounds like the person I interviewed who gave us a SIX page resume. They were late on top of everything else too.
Probably because it took them so long to print out their resume...

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:06 pm

Would've taken at least two print cartridges with my printer.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:25 pm

My favourite holiday in Sweden is the first of May. Everyone gets a day off since it is International Workers' Day. This means that all the workers should attend parades and speeches held by the largest party in Sweden over the last 100 years. I guess most people just think it is nice to get a day off...

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:56 pm

Just got a $1 million purchase order in that I've been working on since August. I'm done for the week.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Sweeeeeet

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Free at last, free at last...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:10 pm

Spent the afternoon doing what MLK would have wanted me to do - playing games with my daughter, niece and nephew at Dave & Buster’s.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:16 pm

I wish I got mlkj day off.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Had my first scrum training today...introduction to terms and roles and what not...

Yeah, not impressed. Scrum master? That person seems like an actual slave based on how it was described to me. That position can easily be eliminated. I guess it seems fine to organize your effort (I say that not knowing the alternative), but it's not, like, anything...it seems like a lot of pomp and circumstance in exchange for just not having any good organizational leadership lying around...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Had my first scrum training today...introduction to terms and roles and what not...

Yeah, not impressed. Scrum master? That person seems like an actual slave based on how it was described to me. That position can easily be eliminated. I guess it seems fine to organize your effort (I say that not knowing the alternative), but it's not, like, anything...it seems like a lot of pomp and circumstance in exchange for just not having any good organizational leadership lying around...
Nothing could get done in a scrum atmosphere without the scrum master. It's an essential role.

I worked under agile for a few years and I did less than half the work that I would otherwise do.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Is the last sentence a positive of efficiency or a dart of pointlessness...?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:04 am

I've started to get that awful anxiety feeling as it relates to work lately. I've always struggled with that, and it often flares up when I have upcoming travel/presentations on the horizon. It's a crippling thing and it sucks. Like no matter how good things have been going at work, you always feel like you're not doing well enough.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:23 am

Is the last sentence a positive of efficiency or a dart of pointlessness...?
In my experience a little of both.

You get stuff done more quickly because there's less back and forth up front. It happens more day by day as opposed to one month solid in advance.

But you have a bunch of pointless meetings too.