Job and General Employment Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 am

See. I don’t agree with that. I think as a leader, you have to set the example. I don’t take my computer or check email when I am out. That sets the expectation much better than saying to people not to check their email. Practice what you preach.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:01 am

See. I don’t agree with that. I think as a leader, you have to set the example. I don’t take my computer or check email when I am out. That sets the expectation much better than saying to people not to check their email. Practice what you preach.
I do agree with that - I probably should have expanded on it a bit more. I typically don't send emails to people that report to me. I basically manage upwards if my boss asks me something simple etc. I answer it. If I need a response from someone else, I let it go.

That being said, I do agree. I've actively tried to get better about it - but it's a very hard habit to break.

I *feel* like the people that report to me have done a good job staying on PTO - I try to say it a billion times about taking PTO and forgetting about work, but yea, it's a challenge and I agree that I should lead it.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 am

I've answered calls and emails on vacation before, but only when the situation was dire. Never have I been expected to log onto my computer and do actual work. It's usually a question that only I know the answer to, and helps keep the customer happy. It's also somewhat gratifying knowing the person on the other end is probably jealous when they hear the waves of the ocean in the background.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:10 am

I do agree with that - I probably should have expanded on it a bit more. I typically don't send emails to people that report to me. I basically manage upwards if my boss asks me something simple etc. I answer it. If I need a response from someone else, I let it go.

That being said, I do agree. I've actively tried to get better about it - but it's a very hard habit to break.

I *feel* like the people that report to me have done a good job staying on PTO - I try to say it a billion times about taking PTO and forgetting about work, but yea, it's a challenge and I agree that I should lead it.
Yeah, same boat. Like I said, I check to mainly manage upwards, and honestly, it's something I'm comfortable with, but I definitely make it known that is not the expectation for me. Some people are just wired that way and feel a lot more comfortable doing that. That's why if they really want to do it, I don't fight them on it. Honestly, it would probably make their PTO worse as they'd be worrying about missing everything or feeling like they'd be overwhelmed when they get back if they didn't check. Others don't feel that way, and that is fine. Everyone is different.

I've learned to adapt as a manager to each individuals needs. It's not a one size fit all style. Sure, there are things that you have to go hard line with, but I try to make those the exceptions and not the rule.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:39 am

My then manager repeatedly called me while my wife was giving birth, and ever since then I have refused to answer the phone on a day off. My current supervisor and previous manager were awesome, knew not to bother me, and if they had called I would have answered (because it absolutely would have been an emergency).

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:28 am

I absolutely never take phone calls right away. It can go to voicemail, and depending on severity - I'll email back a response or something like that. I make it a goal to never actually voice work on PTO. Only written.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:19 am

It took me 4 hours to realize why I’m the only **** human working today.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:20 am

Yearly post where my wife gets off for June 19th, and my progressive company sends a team message for us all to reflect.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:25 am

My wife and daughter are off gallivanting today and I am dealing with bullshit.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:28 am

I'm doing some things around the house on my day off for Juneteenth.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:30 am

Drink coffe, sit with the dog, and trim the hedges.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:14 pm

Working today. Not even a question.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:25 pm

I'm woking today.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:06 pm

Working today. Could have sworn we had the day off last year, but we evidently didn't.

The company I work for is supposedly known for diversity/inclusion, so I'm kinda shocked that we don't, honestly. Lot of people using their floating holiday today.

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:36 pm

I'm woking today.
Woking but not walking

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 pm

I golfed at a country club today like Lincoln would have envisioned

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:44 pm

You were supposed to sit at home and think about what you did though...this, this is the holiday for that. Unlike all of those other pointless, evil ones...

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:36 pm

NJ observed it on Friday. Go figure.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:28 pm

I find it hilarious (but also very convenient) that the USPS delivered my father's day packages yesterday and took today off.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:32 pm

I find it hilarious (but also very convenient) that the USPS delivered my father's day packages yesterday and took today off.
Why? Today is a federal holiday, yesterday wasn't.

I had a Amazon UPS delivery yesterday.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 am

We didn't have the day off but offered a free PTO day in observation to anyone who wanted it.

Probably not the right approach.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:08 am

We had nothing yesterday. Next year we have Juneteenth off, but rather than adding a holiday they are taking Christmas Eve away. Granted Christmas Eve is on a Sunday, so really it just takes the Friday before, but when they revert Christmas Eve to a work day (that everyone will take PTO for) and give Juneteenth off I'm sure there will be gnashing of teeth.

I don't know, it's a free Monday off in the summer. I have a hard time complaining about that, especially since I get 32 days of PTO a year.

meow

Postby meow » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:14 pm

Headed into the office today for a retirement party for one of my direct reports. 41 years at the same company. He’s never worked anywhere else. Bonkers.

Also. The commute and seeing people in person….

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:17 pm

We had an employee summer cookout carnival thing on the lot last week. Outside of the Foo Fighters concert last summer and the couple times we've been to Dineelann, I think that was the most people I've been around since the Before Times.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:22 pm

Our office (which includes the Parking and Transportation division) is doing lunch and a bike ride to a brewpub on Friday during work hours.

I'm not going to pass that up lol.