Job and General Employment Thread

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:31 pm

Holy ****...I don't even know how to respond beyond that...man...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Holy ****...I don't even know how to respond beyond that...man...
Yeah. Sorry to hear, dodint. Hope it turns out for the best.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:36 pm

Yeah, thanks. She's the sole live-in provider for her Mom who has dementia, as well. I've been working with her to try and get her promoted lately, as she's been reluctant to do so because of those obligations. Obviously that's not a concern at this point.

It's always the good people, man.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:47 pm

It's always the good people, man.
Yeah, it seems that's how it works.

Not remotely the same thing you're talking about, but a bunch of parents from my kid's old travel ball team were out at some bar for one of their college reunions. About 20 people, we knew about half of them. At first, I cringed because of COVID - but then I realized that most of the people I knew in the picture had already had COVID and didn't have any long-term issues. They go out to restaurants, ball games, parties, weddings like nothing is going on.

My wife's co-worker - who worked virtually this year - a former teacher of the year, all kinds of volunteer work, also caregiver to her elderly parents - got COVID somehow and had to go to the hospital, on a ventilator, fortunately, got out of the hospital but has all kinds of long haul issues.

Both the parents in the picture and the co-worker are friends of ours, and I don't want to see anyone get sick - no one "deserves" it etc. But it's just **** cruel how it works out sometimes.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Agreed.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:58 pm

Damn. Sorry dodint

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:23 pm

Any update dodint?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:26 pm

The surgery went well. She'll be in the hospital through next week. I don't know the exact underlying ailment so it's hard to speculate beyond that. She's a private person, I'm not going to prod her about it. Thanks for asking.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:26 pm

Weird tone deaf plot twist but here goes anyway.

How would you approach a situation of a staff member making significantly more than you? I recently offered a position to an internal candidate and when HR pulled her current salary, she trumps me by like 13k. I already have another employee who makes about 5k more.

Both have been there a long time and HR added a lot of stricter rules on compensation during my time here so that's how it got this way. But still it's frustrating and demotivating.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:27 pm

The surgery went well. She'll be in the hospital through next week. I don't know the exact underlying ailment so it's hard to speculate beyond that. She's a private person, I'm not going to prod her about it. Thanks for asking.
Good. Hopefully the prognosis isn't overly negative

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:27 pm

That's the one thing I really like about the federal workforce. Pay is straightforward, like a military pay chart. That doesn't help you but it makes me feel better. :lol:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:27 pm

How would you approach a situation of a staff member making significantly more than you? I recently offered a position to an internal candidate and when HR pulled her current salary, she trumps me by like 13k. I already have another employee who makes about 5k more.

Both have been there a long time and HR added a lot of stricter rules on compensation during my time here so that's how it got this way. But still it's frustrating and demotivating.
What do you mean, you're her potential manager?

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:24 pm

That should never happen. That is comp 101. Sure they have more tenure, but you have a higher managerial scope. I would escalate to HR, or polish the resume because that is insulting.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:49 pm

What do you mean, you're her potential manager?
Yep. She starts in a couple weeks at which point 2 of my 6 direct reports will make more than me.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:52 pm

That should never happen. That is comp 101. Sure they have more tenure, but you have a higher managerial scope. I would escalate to HR, or polish the resume because that is insulting.
I let the first one go. I was new to the team and wanted to show my worth before bringing it up, that way I would have some leverage. Now I'm about 6 months in and this new person (2 pay grades below me believe it or not) has really made me realize my comp is a lot less competitive than I thought.

I'm not sure what approach to take or how hot to come in with it.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 am

Does your new direct report have some sort of valuable knowledge, or is just from tenure? It never hurts to raise your concerns with your boss.

Not sure if your company has a Comp team but they should definitely partner with HR to review.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 am

Does your new direct report have some sort of valuable knowledge, or is just from tenure? It never hurts to raise your concerns with your boss.

Not sure if your company has a Comp team but they should definitely partner with HR to review.
:thumb:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:49 am

I worked with her in the past and she's awesome, but not "special". It's mostly from tenure and some strong performance over time.

HR is a shared service so basically I'd have to work with my boss (VP) to get them to review. Which he would do.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:59 pm

I would definitely work with him then. Keep me updated on the resolution. I am a Comp guy so if you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a message.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pm

Any update dodint?
Yeah, so I'm a speculating nitwit.

Got another update today; the surgery she had was brain surgery. So all that gastro speculation of mine was complete horseshit. She's exhausted, but was able to talk to our boss and walk with assistance today.

Hate to say it but I think this somehow might be better than where my mind went. I was thinking pancreatic cancer or something completely wrong with her digestive system that would be too hard to correct.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:47 pm

So she did eat something bad, and it ended up being a separate issue? Albeit a serious brain related issue?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:51 pm

When brain surgery is actually the better outcome...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:01 pm

My best guess is the brain issue was discovered when she went to the ER for the digestive thing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:02 pm

That sounds more positive, so :thumb:.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:41 pm

This week has been one of the longest most stressful weeks I've ever had at my job.