Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:28 am

What do you guys actually find useful in reviews? I have always found them more stress than useful when I was on the non-manager side of things.
I prefer constant feedback/discussion with my supervisor. This way when review time comes there are no surprises. Just tell me what sort of raise I'm getting and let's move on.
Same. Waiting on review time to tell people what they did well or did wrong means you've wasted most of the year holding back feedback.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 am

I agree with nocera and meow - that's a shitty policy.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 am

We were just given an updated policy we have to sign with the following clause:

that the Company, where permitted by law, may at any time and without further consent access and monitor any personal electronic devices to which I have transferred Company Information, including but not limited to: computers, tablets, smart phones, telephones, computer software, electronic mail, on-line services, voice mail, facsimile machines, and photocopiers

Seems illegal

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 am

Good luck accessing personal devices without consent.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am

that the Company, where permitted by law, may at any time and without further consent access and monitor any personal electronic devices to which I have transferred Company Information, including but not limited to: computers, tablets, smart phones, telephones, computer software, electronic mail, on-line services, voice mail, facsimile machines, and photocopiers

Seems illegal
We had one recently saying that we are not allowed to put any company information on non-company owned devices. Until the new company bought us out, we could use our own computers at work and they would pay us $150/month to do that.
Last edited by faftorial on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 am

In that case, I would just delete any company information, apps, etc from my personal devices. I'll check emails/messages during work hours only and only on company equipment.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:38 am

What I don't get is how do they know I transferred company info on a personal device? Did I just break the rule by posting that clause?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:38 am

Source of the post we could use our own computers at work and they would pay us $150/month to do that.
Seriously? What a ridiculous policy. I would kill to have my company pay me to use the computer that I already own and use for business purposes.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:39 am

I guess once you transfer company information to or through a personal device, it becomes a work device...?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:42 am

Looks like they just bought the entire company cell-phones for use etc.

If I had to sign that, basically I would stop operating strictly after 5PM because I run cell-mode most of the time to be available past that.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 am

So I'm having major heartburn about internally applying for another position. Manager position came up with another team (lateral band move), after last year's manager fiasco and working my ass off to only be told haphazardly that it wasn't in the cards...I felt awfully spurned by that.

Our company always tells people internally to apply for other internal positions that open up, etc. I want to do that, but I'm still OK with the actual tactical work of my current job. What I don't want to happen, is apply, not get the job, and then be labeled a quitter/treated differently because I considered another role within the company.

I also have to tell my manager post-application, but it's honestly two things. A chance to actually lead a team, and a different part of the company that I'm interested in, and feel is necessary to know, to continue to move upwards.
man, is your team really that toxic that they'd shame you like that?

I have a very similar situation: don't like my manager, should've been promoted a year ago, applied for a manager position on another team. I got the offer and accepted it so it's a little different but even if I didn't, it wouldn't be a big deal that I applied for another position within the company (same department too). Albeit the culture at my company is very healthy but it's weird to me that you'd be labeled in such a way

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:50 am

MIMH is managing other people?

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:53 am

"Managing"? No. But he has an agency for solo male changing room p0rn actors...that's not nothing...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 pm

Not yet but likely will be in two months

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Aren't you in web development? Managing/leading tech teams is definitely different than the rest of the corporate world, IMO.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:19 pm

Seems illegal
Not my area of law, but that first clause "...where permitted by law..." puts a big asterisk on the enforceability of the rest of the statement. In drafting a statement like this they're hoping you don't know the law and just consent to the monitoring. Similar to how you sign a waiver for inherently dangerous activities (bungee jumping, sky-diving, etc.); it's not legally enforceable in a meaningful way but they hope the language and girth of it scare you off from contacting an attorney.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 pm

Side note: whenever I see Shyster or dodint post legal stuff, I picture their heads on the twins bodies in one of their terrific commercials or ads.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 pm

In that case, I would just delete any company information, apps, etc from my personal devices. I'll check emails/messages during work hours only and only on company equipment.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Side note: whenever I see Shyster or dodint post legal stuff, I picture their heads on the twins bodies in one of their terrific commercials or ads.
Just give me a giant golf club and I'm in.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:50 pm

So I'm having major heartburn about internally applying for another position. Manager position came up with another team (lateral band move), after last year's manager fiasco and working my ass off to only be told haphazardly that it wasn't in the cards...I felt awfully spurned by that.

Our company always tells people internally to apply for other internal positions that open up, etc. I want to do that, but I'm still OK with the actual tactical work of my current job. What I don't want to happen, is apply, not get the job, and then be labeled a quitter/treated differently because I considered another role within the company.

I also have to tell my manager post-application, but it's honestly two things. A chance to actually lead a team, and a different part of the company that I'm interested in, and feel is necessary to know, to continue to move upwards.

I have a very similar situation: don't like my manager, should've been promoted a year ago, applied for a manager position on another team. I got the offer and accepted it so it's a little different but even if I didn't, it wouldn't be a big deal that I applied for another position within the company (same department too). Albeit the culture at my company is very healthy but it's weird to me that you'd be labeled in such a way
So no, I don't believe that anyone is that toxic. This is more me, preparing for worst-case scenario if I don't get the job, and thinking I'll be treated like a discarded toy because I wanted to try something new.

It's probably me being very over-dramatic because of anxiety and this internal application stuff does happen all the time.

Call it imposter syndrome, anxiety, whatever, but I do believe that most of this stuff is probably in my head, and I'm having a hard time breaking it down right now.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:53 pm

I completely understand what you're going through, Morkle. I don't have a way to fix it other than to encourage you not to limit yourself to your current role. Push ahead or you'll never get anywhere. Basic stuff but I have to return to it when I begin to doubt my choices.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 pm

For sure and thanks for saying it. I honestly love the company I work for, and I think of this as jeopardizing my current role that I still like, but I was built to be a manager, and if it's not here for this one, there are other places in the company.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:09 pm

Seems illegal
Not my area of law, but that first clause "...where permitted by law..." puts a big asterisk on the enforceability of the rest of the statement. In drafting a statement like this they're hoping you don't know the law and just consent to the monitoring. Similar to how you sign a waiver for inherently dangerous activities (bungee jumping, sky-diving, etc.); it's not legally enforceable in a meaningful way but they hope the language and girth of it scare you off from contacting an attorney.
These exact thoughts went through my head. I know the Patriot Act typically applies only to government spying, but is there anything in there that allows private companies to spy? Probably not, but I assume they wrote this for their own protection of IP. Coupled with the fact that there may be countless employees that are not issued a company laptops working from home and using their personal computers.

EDIT: Can't say that what you mentioned would be something our company would try. They just got finished paying a double digit millions of dollars settlement with their employees over an anti-poaching agreement with their competitor. Something like that is setting them up for another lawsuit, don't you think?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:28 pm

I am 99% sure one of our employee's forged an email to make it look like she sent something she was supposed to send, and it just "didn't make it" for some reason.

I am investigating the "email" she forwarded as proof. If you look at where it says "FW:", I noticed that the "w" is lower-case. I have replicated forwarding emails to both my work and home accounts, and the "FW" is ALWAYS capitalized. We have also had previous communication issues with this person, including her saying she sent an email but the person saying they never got it.

I'm not off-base here, right?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 pm

So no, I don't believe that anyone is that toxic. This is more me, preparing for worst-case scenario if I don't get the job, and thinking I'll be treated like a discarded toy because I wanted to try something new.

It's probably me being very over-dramatic because of anxiety and this internal application stuff does happen all the time.

Call it imposter syndrome, anxiety, whatever, but I do believe that most of this stuff is probably in my head, and I'm having a hard time breaking it down right now.
yeah, I definitely suffer from imposter syndrome too

like you I feel like I'm built for management. I like having a higher level view of things and am excited to be able to mentor people directly. The one thing I'm terrified of and know I'll need to work on is having performance related conversations with people. Hopefully they won't happen all the time, but it's gonna be tough for me to have those discussions. I'm too sawft