Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:16 am

I know there was a thread a while back, but seeing if there's any new input... standing desks? I am allowed to get one if I want one. Essentially they'll just raise the corner part of my desk up to standing height and leave my two sides down at seat level, so I'll still have the option to sit. I'm heavily considering it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:17 am

I know there was a thread a while back, but seeing if there's any new input... standing desks? I am allowed to get one if I want one. Essentially they'll just raise the corner part of my desk up to standing height and leave my two sides down at seat level, so I'll still have the option to sit. I'm heavily considering it.
Our new desks can be electronically raised and lowered. I didn't think I would use it much, but I end up standing for a little bit each day, normally 45 minutes to an hour. I don't know if that's enough time to really help with my health at all, but I do like it. Only downside is everybody on the floor can see my monitor.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:18 am

Apparently now word has gotten out to external/related departments about last week's firing. Some people are upset because the person was "nice" and "helpful." To the point one manager went to talk to my manager yesterday about it. My manager told her the reason for the firing - the inquirer was floored.

This annoys me. There's a reason people get fired. I didn't decide to fire them because I didn't like the way they dressed or did their hair or because they weren't nice - I fired them because they didn't do their job competently after multiple discussions. Period.

Yet now I feel like people are looking at me like I'm some kinda a-hole. :evil:

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:21 am

Fire them too.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:27 am

I understand your point, but also understand theirs. They were probably friends, didn't see what you did, and are now pissed because you made their job a little less enjoyable by letting them go. Being in a position to fire somebody means you need to be ready to take the heat.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:27 am

Fire them too.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:28 am

It's one thing to be upset, but going to her manager over it? GTFO.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:29 am

It's one thing to be upset, but going to her manager over it? GTFO.
Yeah that's true. Anybody that goes over somebody's head as a first resort is a **** joke.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:50 am

I just had my first job interview (via phone) in almost 9 years. holy crap that sh*t is no fun. basically just putting in for another position in my office but since we're government they have to treat everybody as if they're outside applicants.
the 2 guys interviewing me were in another office 30 feet away from me. may get it, may not but if nothing else it was good practice for my interview skills. next time I think I need to have notes with me.
one thing I might have going for me: one of the guys asking the questions is the same one who sorta kinda almost ran me over with a truck 2 months ago. :lol:

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:51 am

I understand your point, but also understand theirs. They were probably friends, didn't see what you did, and are now pissed because you made their job a little less enjoyable by letting them go. Being in a position to fire somebody means you need to be ready to take the heat.
I think it's more of a, didn't really work with them - just knew them as a colleague - they seemed nice kinda thing. A number of people here have been here for years and I'm guessing certain areas just don't see turnover - so it's a shock. I have been here just shy of a year - so I'm guessing that's why the person went to my manager, just more of a comfort thing. But still.

Again, this person had serious issues - some of which could be seen as (no, ARE) stealing from the company. That aside, the work product was just not there. I cannot have others suffer for it to be seen as a nice person by people that I have no direct working relationship with.

Just venting here, since I clearly can't do it at work. :x

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 am

Yeah, I had an interview yesterday. Interviews suck.

Also, my interview was from 4-5:30. And, when I left, like 80% of the office was still there.

So, yeah, not a good look for me, a guy who works 7-3:30.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 am

Also, my interview was from 4-5:30. And, when I left, like 80% of the office was still there.

I love getting in the office early. Get stuff done. I'm usually out by 3:15 or 3:30 every day. When I work from home I start even earlier since I'm up anyways. Sometimes I will get stuck later, but it's so quiet that early and I can just get stuff done with no one bothering me.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 am

I'm at my desk by 6am when the office is pitch black. I don't see another soul for at least an hour and a half, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 am

Sometimes I truly wonder how half the people who use our expense system remember how to breathe, or manage to not drown themselves in the shower before they get into work and submit the piles of **** they manage to crap up.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:34 am

I love getting in the office early. Get stuff done. I'm usually out by 3:15 or 3:30 every day. When I work from home I start even earlier since I'm up anyways. Sometimes I will get stuck later, but it's so quiet that early and I can just get stuff done with no one bothering me.
Yeah I asked about how the work life balance and flex scheduling is. The reply I got was "the CEO told us to go home at 4:00 on halloween - things like that".

LOL ok............

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah I asked about how the work life balance and flex scheduling is. The reply I got was "the CEO told us to go home at 4:00 on halloween - things like that".

LOL ok............
Are you viewing that as a negative? I think that's a pretty generous offer, compared to virtually everyone else I know.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 am

LOL ok............
Are you viewing that as a negative? I think that's a pretty generous offer, compared to virtually everyone else I know.
It's certainly not a positive for someone who likes to work 7-3:30 lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am

Yeah that's not a positive. And that doesn't at all answer the flex scheduling question.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:49 am

Yea. I want to know if I can work from home if I have a Dr appointment that day. I want to know that I won't miss my kid's basketball game in 4 years because I'm here until 6PM every night. I want to make sure if I have to leave early to go to my kid's halloween parage at school, it won't be frowned upon.

That's the best part of my job right now, is that level of flexibility. That's worth much more than salary to me. And I'm not giving that up unless your salary is MUCH higher.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:53 am

I agree, not a positive.

One thing I have learned over the years is the "early" people always get the short end of the stick - and you're always viewed as "leaving early" even though you worked your 8 hours. I've been 7-4 for a crap ton of years and it's always the same. And if you stay til, say, 6, it's not viewed as overtime really - since the majority of people leave at 5 or after. Annoying.

And mac - I already feel your pain in asking those questions. I feel like everyone always says yes - but then when it comes around to being flexible, they really AREN'T.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:53 am

Honestly, any job that doesn't allow you to work from home or leave early for those things is bullshit and shouldn't exist. Actually, I should rephrase: any job that doesn't involve directly saving lives ...

I wish I could scream at some co-workers that our job isn't really that important. It can **** wait until tomorrow.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 am

Sometimes I truly wonder how half the people who use our expense system remember how to breathe, or manage to not drown themselves in the shower before they get into work and submit the piles of **** they manage to crap up.
You're making a huge mistake here and you need to learn from it... just because you use something day in and day out and know every single detail of how it works doesn't mean everyone else does. If you're expecting everyone else to be at a competent level of understanding when working with something they rarely use or don't care about, you're going to drive yourself insane.

Every single conference that I go to and listen to talks, most scientists make this mistake as well. They start presenting just assuming everyone knows what the hell they're talking about. The best talks take the time to lay out the ground work to get everyone on the same page of understanding before moving into the meat of the talk. You should consider doing something similar. Talk with these people. Walk them through it in a non-condescending way. If you train them how to use it properly, it'll make your life infinitely better.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:03 am

I'd be more inclined to agree with you, however in this particular situation:

1. They had all but one thing done correctly.

2. I specifically said they only needed to change that one thing. There is no way what I said could have been misconstrued.

3. They went and changed every. Single. Thing. To what I requested they change the one thing to.

We've offered our services to departments to come in and train, so ahead of the curve there. The issues in that regard are that either the departments that actually needed it ignored the help, or in the case of one, they only sent 5 people in a department with about 6 or 7 subsets, all in the same building - none of whom were the people who needed to hear what we had to say.

We also host lunch and learns for these people to come to. We end up just having to repeat ourselves every time because some people just can't be arsed to care.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:06 am

Or, ya know... just keep dodinting and moaning about it. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 am

Nobody attends lunch and learns. And those who do only come for free food and forget everything that was presented 5 minutes after it ends. I should know. I'm one of those people.