Job and General Employment Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 am

Question: why does her being a doctor have anything to do with this?
She should have more common sense and knowledge of the hiring process, compared to say a med tech assistant with a two year Associate’s Degree.

That being said, I work with a number of PhD’s who have no common sense, so there’s that... :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am

As someone that works almost exclusively with PhDs, being a doctor means you have more school loans than the average bear and has little to do with intelligence.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 am

PhD is more about persistence than intelligence.

Source: I have a PhD.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 am

Yes, exactly what they said ^^^^^

:lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:18 am

If I were Shaf, my response would have been limited to the final two lines of the actual reply.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 am

I think I dodged a bullet with this candidate---now this is a doctor, mind you, so theoretically not someone that should be acting so desperate. I first spoke with this person two weeks ago...14 days (not three weeks, as her email suggests). So the time since then includes a holiday weekend, as well as a week that the hiring decision-maker was out of the country for a whole week (last week). I've been in constant communication during this time. This is the crazy email I got from this person last evening, and my response today. Abandon ship.
I left a message for **** and texted him as well today. I received no response.
I’m sure you will agree that this process has become very cumbersome and very disappointing to say the least.
If there was a lack of interest I would have appreciated a simple courtesy message by you or someone in your company. This was certainly not what I anticipated from you or your company after you called me 3 weeks ago.
Thank you,
My response:
I am sorry that you have found the process cumbersome, but I do not believe your expectations have been realistic or reasonable. It has been two weeks to the day since we first spoke, and that includes a holiday weekend. In addition,**** was out of the country all of last week—we cannot control these aspects of the calendar. I have been in constant communication with you and have conveyed this information to keep you updated on the timeline. That you would interpret the last two weeks of nearly constant communication as a “lack of interest” is highly concerning—we have hired numerous *************** over the last 6-8 months, and I’ve never had a single complaint about the length of our interview process. At this time, I think it is best that we both move in another direction, and allow you to pursue the other offers you had mentioned during our conversations. Thank you for your interest in our organization, and I wish you nothing but the best as you move into the next chapter in your career.
What a psycho. Can't wait to get a response to that email.
BOOM. Let us know what she says, if anything. :pop:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:27 am

If I were Shaf, my response would have been limited to the final two lines of the actual reply.
Yeah... the more you try to reason with people like that and tell them they're wrong, the more they're just going to blow up. It's best to just smile and say "have a nice day."

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:31 am

I sit right next to our HR guy (other side of the cubical wall from me), and I overheard him talking to a person that we had extended an offer to... I was laughing about it.

HR guy asked when he was available to start, and from the response he gave of "Well, I certainly think that's something you should have given a little thought..." I can only image the guy said "I dunno." He then asked if the $15 an hour is acceptable and the response I heard was "You know, I don't think you've given this the proper thought or enthusiasm to come and work here, and it's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth, so we're going to go ahead and rescind the offer we sent to you." I can't imagine what some of these HR people have to deal with on the stupidity scale.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 am

Contemporaneously documenting what is happening in the HR world is vitally important. I would maybe nitpick a bit and take out the sentence that starts "That you would..." as it escalates the adversarial nature of this to a degree, but otherwise laying out the factual history is good practice.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:35 am

But by definition the factual history is already documented by previous correspondence. Merely summarizing it in a 'peace out, dodint' context does not help anything imo.

Basically I just want to beat up on Shaf for impersonating PFiDC.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:42 am

What if these are phone calls? You're underestimating what things looks like a year from now in a deposition.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:48 am

*thupupupupupup*

FlyEaglesFly

Postby FlyEaglesFly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 pm

Let me ask this group a question, I'm trying to compare job offer "A" to job offer "B".
Job offer "A" inc. Health Care Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
Job offer "B" does not.

The person evaluating these two offers is single and over 26.

What should they be considering? Obviously private insurance, but has anyone here been faced with this choice and how have you handled it?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Contemporaneously documenting what is happening in the HR world is vitally important. I would maybe nitpick a bit and take out the sentence that starts "That you would..." as it escalates the adversarial nature of this to a degree, but otherwise laying out the factual history is good practice.
Yup, I'm definitely trying to lay everything out...admittedly, I was being a touch adversarial. Anyways, she didn't respond via email, but she did send me a text...this is a good one.
"Hello, I think you sent me an email but I have already accepted another position and have blocked your mail. Unfortunately, we have had over two weeks of fruitless emails etc. I would suggest that in the future once you write to someone to expect a phone cal that you actually make sure you follow through. Not doing so puts you and your company in a less than professional light and wastes the other person's time. Best to you with your future career."
:lol:

First off, she definitely read my email this morning. She has a Gmail account, I doubt she knows how to block it. Secondly, I highly doubt she suddenly accepted another position, at the same exact time I told her we are moving on. This lady is clearly nuts, and I think we dodged a huge bullet.

Meow, to answer your question, this has less to do with her intelligence/common sense and more to do with her positioning. The position I recruit for is very much a seller's market...I have a very narrow candidate pool to select from, and the candidates should theoretically have the providers by the balls. Her erratic behavior and desperation are out-of-place.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm

I think you sent me an email but responds to the entire email and ends it almost the same way you ended yours. Right, your email got blocked and she totally didn't read it at all.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Let me ask this group a question, I'm trying to compare job offer "A" to job offer "B".
Job offer "B" does not.

What should they be considering? Obviously private insurance, but has anyone here been faced with this choice and how have you handled it?
What's the money difference? If you can pay for your own insurance and still make out above option A, then go for B (assuming the jobs are pretty similar).

If not, definitely take A. To me, insurance coverage is important.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Who gets sick...? Muppets. Take the cashish, bet on yourself...if the difference is like five g's or more...take option $

FlyEaglesFly

Postby FlyEaglesFly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Job offer "B" does not.

What's the money difference? If you can pay for your own insurance and still make out above option A, then go for B (assuming the jobs are pretty similar).

If not, definitely take A. To me, insurance coverage is important.
The question was predicated on the assumption that Job "B" paid marginally better than Job "B", everything else being equal.
Based on a difference of say $200 a week.

Has anyone here procured private health insurance and felt like they got a good deal? Maybe through some kind of insurance co-op or aggregate?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:34 pm

So job B pays about 10K more per year. The price of health insurance is extreme, Obamacare that is. Honestly from going from having to use Obamacare to having a job that provides the benefits I'd go with the company that provides them.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:39 pm

9 times out of 10, going with employer benefits is always the way to go. Healthcare is just too expensive in this country.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Unless I got some sort of -itis, at 10 bills a year (take home?) I'm betting on myself...I'll pay out of pocket if something happens, skip insurance all together if you can...I don't know if that's still like a penalty or whatever (ridiculous if true) but I'd look into what I clear and just bet on myself, even if it's just for a year...

The people saying the opposite are small ballers, but they're technically right...I'm a gambling man, insurance is just hedging a bet...I'm lettin it ride for 10 sheets...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:42 pm

The average price of a health plan through Obamacare in PA is around $3k annually. The elimination of the individual mandate part of O-care is going to cause rates to spike next year, as will the roll out of cheap-o plans that don't conform to O-care requirements. So you could opt for one of those plans (which is basically saying, "Here, you take my money and do everything that you can with it except provide me with health insurance."), but at any rate the out-of-pocket costs are going to really go up in the next year or so. Imo you'd be a fool to not take the gig that provided health insurance in this age.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 pm

And at $3k per year you are probably getting the bottom of the barrel benefits.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 pm

And at $3k per year you are probably getting the bottom of the barrel benefits.
Plus the extra 10K, you are going to take home 7K of that after taxes (depending on how much you make). I had a buddy about 10 years ago that never got sick, didn't think he needed insurance, got sick, died like 3 days later, and left his parents with a 95K doctor bill they had to pay along with funeral expenses. That is an extreme example, but something I wouldn't want to burden my parents or anyone else with. And even if you have to go in for any reason, that savings you have is pretty much shot.

But if you want to take the gamble for that, go for it. I'd go health insurance all day.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:25 pm

I can't imagine taking the risk of no health insurance if I was offered it somewhere else.