Job and General Employment Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Sports wagering and assurance work

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Wife asked if they were going back to telework, met with an "absolutely not" response. Despite the state mandate and being able to do it April-July of this year...

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:37 am

Job gave us a speech yesterday about the stay at home order from the state. Paraphrasing, “Yes the state has ordered a stay at home order but we follow CDC guidelines since the state changes things frequently. Also, the last stay at home order saw our numbers decline and we can’t have that. So we will not be converting to full work from home. If you want to please talk to HR, we’ll approach it on a case by case issue.”

At least they were honest that it’s about profits. It took everything I had to clarify that the only reason the CDC/fed hasn’t issued those guidelines is because the states were told it’s up to them to handle Covid.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:04 am

Got an email from on high yesterday to us managers stating that if an employee is caught breaking any of the workplace COVID rules (which security cameras will be used to identify), I, as his manager, will face disciplinary action.

Am I wrong to have a HUUUUUUUUGE problem with that?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:18 am

Nope, because that's a load of horseshit.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:24 am

I'm gonna assume that's an empty-ish threat so that you pass down the importance...but it would be pretty dumb if they acted it out, also, an easy way for employees to screw their managers if they don't like them...

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:29 am

A snitch line (email) has also been set up to report violations. JFC.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 am

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I don't have Stan to worry about. But the current underling isn't much better.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:55 am

so we're back to WFH if you're non-essential, effective Friday. We had a very loose rule about working in the office that was going to be reevaluated after Christmas. With the numbers rising like they were over the last two weeks, I don't think anybody thought we were really gonna make it that long without them shutting us down again.

I would say that at least I won't have to worry about being the only person to show up to a fire drill, but that isn't even true since I'll still be required to go in every other day.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:12 pm

We are WFH indefinitely as well. That said, we currently have a brand new office space being built in West Chester so we won't be home forever. It's actually a really nice space--there is a beautiful fitness center that actually has a nice squat rack, Peloton, etc.

I am going to be having a conversation once there is a firm announcement about going back in the spring. The advantage that I have is that myself and my two recruiters *have* to have our own private offices to make calls. We are discussing highly confidential information like salary with potential candidates, which cannot be overheard by other people. If they want us back in the office, we are going to occupy three separate offices that they would probably rather use for people that actually need to be there.

I will cross that bridge when I get there though.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:19 pm

My company keeps putting arbitrary return to office dates as if it's actually going to happen. The latest one is Dec 31. We haven't been in the office since March. Do they really think a mid-winter return is going to happen?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Source of the post My company keeps putting arbitrary return to office dates as if it's actually going to happen.
Ours has been doing the same, with the current extension lasting through the end of March. That likely gets extended through June, though.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:05 pm

CNBC keeps publishing articles about how “75% of employees look forward to working in an office again” and “74% of employees support a four day in office work week” etc etc and it’s all based on surveys funded by a commercial real estate company. **** that noise and your lying surveys. I’ll leave my home office when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:20 pm

I accepted a lateral position doing enterprise work in April. We were told if we went to that team they would foresee us only going into the district as needed. Right now for me that's once a week so I can access our Secret network. Our boss mentioned to us that it looks like when COVID is mitigated we'll go back to being in the district three days a week. Our mission on this team involves no local support at all, so I'd be driving the 1hr+ each way into the city to do the exact same work that I do now at home.

I told my boss and his boss (my old boss before he got promoted) that I'll retire if that's the case. I'd do two days a week if it was mission essential Secret work. But if they're going to have me drive into the city and then sit in a cube for no purpose at all, I'm out. My exit plan was 3-5 years, but I'll accelerate that exit and pursue my legal career. As soon as my wife graduates school next summer and gets a job where I go on her insurance, all bets are off. I sold my house and moved to another county; I'm not going back.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:19 pm

Just had a third interview and was given "homework". I have to read a presentation about their company's values and culture and then write a one-two paragraphs explaining my thoughts and then email it to the interviewer (an executive). This is a new one for me. Should I write about how I share their values or how I would fit into their culture? Or if I agree with their values/culture? Just trying to figure out the right angle to take. I suspect this is also to see how my writing skills are. This is for a technical InfoSec role.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:26 am

Same boss as above noted that Hack The Army runs from December 15th to January 28th, so he's making a duty roster for us to monitor findings on weekends and holidays during that period. If designated, will have to login three times a day and then notify our website points of contact if their site has found to be vulnerable.

I'm over this job.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:30 pm

We are switching to a zero based budget system. I have to justify everything in my budget, line by line. Every expense. I've opened the spreadsheet four times today, and promptly closed it. What an enormous pain in the ass. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:07 pm

Excel launch tasks the CPU roughly 20-40% for approximately 10 seconds each load. Add those few pennies to your spreadsheet.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:52 am

Walked out of the doors of the office tonite for the final time after 16 years. Life as a road warrior begins next month.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:33 am

Walked out of the doors of the office tonite for the final time after 16 years. Life as a road warrior begins next month.
Good luck OP!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:36 am

Good luck OP!

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:47 am

Damn. All the best, OP...

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:55 am

Oh I’m still gainfully employed. The difference is that I won’t be doing it from an office. Everything will be at tournaments on the road. It’ll be a much different way of life and other than most of the people, I won’t miss too many aspects of the office portion.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:03 am

Oh...congrats, OP.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Yea that sounds better.