Job and General Employment Thread

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:42 am

Transportation and logistics

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:46 am

I'm going to find a way to blame the Squirrel Hill tunnel issues on you now. Sweet.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:21 am

Good luck, i hope this doesnt get in the way of complaining about the pirates, pitt, stillers, pens, etc.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:26 am

congrats DD

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:28 am

Good stuff, DD... :thumb:

If you need anyone to help your DOT compliance, hmu baby...

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:39 am

Congrats DD! Do you get a break between positions or starting right away?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:52 am

Good luck, i hope this doesnt get in the way of complaining about the pirates, pitt, stillers, pens, etc.
I mean obviously I would quit if that was the case.
Congrats DD! Do you get a break between positions or starting right away?
I’m taking a week off in between.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:12 am

Because I have so much vacation time to use.... I blocked off the last two weeks of the year pretty much. Dec 19th-Jan 2nd no work at all.

With that I still have almost a whole week still left to schedule. We can't carry over vacation time (just sick time) so it's use it or lose it.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:31 am

Congrats to all the recent new jobs, condolences to tiff.

PTO wise, I took this week off, and I think I still have about 10ish days left... and we are technically only allowed to take 5 days in December (although your manager can approve more). So guess I am taking more time off over the next couple months.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:38 am

Anyone here good at interviewing?

I have made it to the final round of interviews for a consulting job (which has been like 90 day process of multiple introductory session and now the third interview). And I just had a call with the recruiter and got some feedback that I was a bit too low energy on my last call. I am not "high energy" and I also don't even know what the hell sort of mannerisms the interviewer would deem as both good and high energy?
Lots of good juju going around, I apparently showed the appropriate amount of energy in my interview with the division head yesterday, and the recruiter is going to call me at 3 with an offer.

I feel like I am going to have to negotiate, any insight on how to handle that?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:39 am

i hope you channeled your inner greg brown and were very enthusiastic about inconsequential things

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am

I stood up instead of sitting down.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 am

Negotiations for me are all about what the value is of something to me...as dumb or as a simple as that sounds...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:01 pm

I want a 20K+ bump to leave my cushy corporate, no stress job. But will take 15K.

I'll google it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:08 pm

That's the answer...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:54 pm

I had an interview this afternoon. Job is a combo HR/finance job, and it kinda checks all my boxes with regards to my work experience and education. Plus, the department knows me from my current work, so I'm hoping this works out for me.

Also, Zoom interviews are strange.
Mrs Tif just had a virtual training thing provided by her company yesterday about how to present yourself on camera. While that in and of itself isn't necessarily a big deal, I think the fact that the person who was teaching was a former BBC News reader called Maxine Mawhinney is kinda neat.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:11 pm

It was extremely difficult not to look at their faces on the screen instead of my camera. I'm sure there were multiple times where it probably looked like I had my eyes closed/wasn't looking at them while I was talking, but I think I made up for that in other aspects of the interview.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:21 pm

It was extremely difficult not to look at their faces on the screen instead of my camera. I'm sure there were multiple times where it probably looked like I had my eyes closed/wasn't looking at them while I was talking, but I think I made up for that in other aspects of the interview.
This was actually a coaching point in the seminar Mrs Tif did. The natural instinct is to look at the people's faces on your screen as you're talking, but the camera is typically like 5 degrees above that eyeline. It's no different than people who are using their cell phone and don't know which end of the device the camera lens is positioned, so they look like they're in perpetual 'senior photo' mode looking artfully off to the side. (Which is something I've moaned about in the gear grinding thread recently)

If you watch any number of the junket interviews the cast and production team of Hamilton did back when the show came to Dis+, Thomas Kail (the director) is a big-time offender in this regard. In just about all of the ones I've watched - and I've watched pretty much all of them - his eyeline is so far off kilter that he doesn't look like he's looking at the wrong end of his phone so much as he looks like he's looking at his partner's phone on the whole other side of the table.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:11 am

That's the answer...
I am honestly just not familiar with this process at all, I have been at the same company for 15 years. So, I definitely did not negotiate yesterday, the way they do it, is they asked me what my number was, if I was at all flexible, and then I guess the partner is going to take that ask and present it to some hiring board. So, I am going to guess that the number I told them was not a problem because if I had said something outside their comfort zone, the recruiter would have pushed back.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 am

I don't think there's any magic to it. Most everything is made up...internet pricing, job salaries, apartment prices, down to weed grinders haha...I negotiate the price to everything if it's out of range for the value I have in my head...and you just move it to an area where it becomes valuable to you...sometimes you have to make a concession to get there, sometimes you don't...but it sounds like you did it "right" by saying, "here's my number, off ya go then..." I hope you get it right off the hop...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:22 am

I've always asked for $10k higher than what I'd settle for. It's much easier to work your way down than up, and even if you settle for "your number", things like paid vacation can make up for it. When I got this job, they gave me a few bucks more than I would have made the move for, but I also got an extra week of vacation out of it.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 am

I went into my job offer being like "I'm going to prove I can be a woman that negotiates". But then they gave me exactly what I would have negotiated for and were flexible with start date. So it seemed like I would just be negotiating to negotiate and that wasn't the type of mentality I wanted to start with.

I just started to read "Never Split the Difference" which has been interesting and was recommended to me with getting into a negotiating mindset.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 am

A friend of mine from college got a job with a Bay Area company but works remotely...in Charleston, SC. He gets paid the Bay Area average salary, so even though Charleston is an expensive place to live in SC, he's living like a king on a six figure plus salary.

That's the dream y'all. :lol:

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 am

I stood up instead of sitting down.
I thought for a second this was MIMH talking about how he wipes

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 am

I don't think there's any magic to it. Most everything is made up...internet pricing, job salaries, apartment prices, down to weed grinders haha...I negotiate the price to everything if it's out of range for the value I have in my head...and you just move it to an area where it becomes valuable to you...sometimes you have to make a concession to get there, sometimes you don't...but it sounds like you did it "right" by saying, "here's my number, off ya go then..." I hope you get it right off the hop...
I have always felt like the employer holds basically all of the leverage. Probably because I'm a jaded ass that views all service work as a commodity product.