Job and General Employment Thread

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:47 am

I interview for that promotion on Thursday. My anxiety is through the roof right now. And I'm interviewing with my own leadership so they'll have a pretty good idea if I'm full of **** or not. :lol:

Ah, ****, at least I'm already employed, what's the worst that can happen?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:51 am

Your total incompetence will be brought to light?

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:52 am

You're aware I work for the government, right? And I'm tenured. That is not my concern. 8-)

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:55 am

1.5 hour MS Teams training... borrrinngg

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:05 pm

what could you possibly need trained upon for MS Teams? Haven't you used AOL Instant Messenger at one point in your life?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Eh, if you're using Teams for more than just IMing, then sure I can see a training. Also, you're assuming that all employees pick up technology as quickly as you. Which, we all know, is far far from the truth.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:46 pm

Yeah, I could justify an hour long Teams training session, even for technical people. It has a lot of bells and whistles.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:47 pm

It also has a search bar.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:57 pm

I interview for that promotion on Thursday. My anxiety is through the roof right now. And I'm interviewing with my own leadership so they'll have a pretty good idea if I'm full of **** or not. :lol:

Ah, ****, at least I'm already employed, what's the worst that can happen?

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Teams training was mandatory. But I can see some features that will be helpful.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:38 pm

Not creating a new team for every small project is about all I can think of

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:06 pm

The videoconferencing, screen sharing and file sharing will likely get used.

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:31 am

Got let go today from a company I've been at for seven years. Totally caught me off guard. My boss told me that "My Services are No Longer Needed" I asked him multiple times to further explain and he said it was a "Company decision" WTF ?!? Give me a an honest to God reason why you are firing me!! Going to enjoy a week off and start looking for a new job next week. Just pissed that they didn't have the balls to tell me why I was honestly let go.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:48 am

****'em...you'll be better off at the next spot...

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:09 am

****'em...you'll be better off at the next spot...
Thanks mikey. You're probably right. What upsets me the most is that I lose my health insurance at the end of the month(Friday) and I have some minor medical issues that i'm dealing with that the company knew about. I guess i'll have to put them on hold for now.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:37 am

Pssh, minor health...sounds like something that can be self-treated for cheaper. You're better off...

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:08 am

Pssh, minor health...sounds like something that can be self-treated for cheaper. You're better off...
Stomach ulcers and high blood pressure possibly caused from the stomach ulcers.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:07 am

Got let go today from a company I've been at for seven years. Totally caught me off guard. My boss told me that "My Services are No Longer Needed" I asked him multiple times to further explain and he said it was a "Company decision" WTF ?!? Give me a an honest to God reason why you are firing me!! Going to enjoy a week off and start looking for a new job next week. Just pissed that they didn't have the balls to tell me why I was honestly let go.
Since you're in PA, you can be let go without given a reason. If a reason is given it needs to pretty lock tight for fear of any legal action back against the company. Unfortunately, that means that legally it makes more sense for the company to NOT tell you why you've been fired.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:15 pm

Today is my first day back after being on vacation since last Weds. I came back to a bazillion emails and half of them are meeting requests. This place is so effing meeting happy. I want to set my desk on fire and leave.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:37 pm

Currently cutting a new podcast series for the company. Normally I can turn an episode around in about 6 hours. Pretty easy work, really. Except for this recording, I'm pretty sure the host and guests and swallowing the mics. I have to go in and keyframe out every single breath. I don't think I've ever realized how much people breathe until just now...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Since you're in PA, you can be let go without given a reason. If a reason is given it needs to pretty lock tight for fear of any legal action back against the company. Unfortunately, that means that legally it makes more sense for the company to NOT tell you why you've been fired.
Hey...you should come join the dark side of HR with me ;)

Yup...sorry to hear that Cags but it makes no sense for them to tell you why they are firing you. Just opens themselves up to litigation.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Currently cutting a new podcast series for the company. Normally I can turn an episode around in about 6 hours. Pretty easy work, really. Except for this recording, I'm pretty sure the host and guests and swallowing the mics. I have to go in and keyframe out every single breath. I don't think I've ever realized how much people breathe until just now...
I edited some sound for a presentation or two we did here and the guy sounded like he was hissing at every slide like a feral cat...

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:04 pm

I edited some sound for a presentation or two we did here and the guy sounded like he was hissing at every slide like a feral cat...
Apply that DeEsser!

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm

Did you try yelling, “You can’t fire me! You’re fired!”?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Hey...you should come join the dark side of HR with me ;)

Yup...sorry to hear that Cags but it makes no sense for them to tell you why they are firing you. Just opens themselves up to litigation.