Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm

It's city wage tax refund time for me. I've got the paperwork done, and am just waiting on the accounting team to give me the go-ahead to bring it down to them. If my math is correct, I won't have to blow it all on our federal taxes this year.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Why do you get this? Company policy or...?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 pm

It's for my work from home time. I'm a non-resident working in center city, so I should be paying the non-resident tax rate for those hours. There's a whole bunch of garbage paperwork that you need to file, along with terse calculations, but I've got this dodint down to a science now. 30 minutes of effort for a few grand? All day long.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation. I don't work from home. But if I did, I live in Center City anyhow haha...so this does not apply to me. I'll find another way to get back my money...I always do...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm

It's for my work from home time. I'm a non-resident working in center city, so I should be paying the non-resident tax rate for those hours. There's a whole bunch of garbage paperwork that you need to file, along with terse calculations, but I've got this dodint down to a science now. 30 minutes of effort for a few grand? All day long.
Did you let the tax authority where you work from home that you will be paying their wage tax when you work at home?

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:23 pm

interviewed for another job in my office last month, pays about 2/3 more than I make now. just found out that there's now a job/hiring freeze put into place because our shitty governor wants every state department to cut 4% from the budget. FML. :face:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm

I really need to quit my job but have nothing lined up. Thus the cycle of me burning out continues.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:37 pm

Did you let the tax authority where you work from home that you will be paying their wage tax when you work at home?
Nope.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:44 pm

I really need to quit my job but have nothing lined up. Thus the cycle of me burning out continues.
I may be misremembering, but didn't you come across this job as a temp? Can you return to the temp service perhaps and get another crack at the roulette wheel, maybe find a better fit? Assuming, you've exhausted internal options...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:27 pm

I would lose my health benefits and my paycheck that I had to fight for in order to be paid commensurate to the amount of work I need to handle. Temps also do not get vacation or sick time, so when I took time off before I got permanent, I didn't get paid.

I believe I would also lose out on years of service if I switched, so even if I was here for 5 years total by the time i get the next permanent opportunity, I would only have credit for the (current) 2.5 years I've been here.
Last edited by MR25 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding...can you go back into the temp pool and find another job with it...as in, not stay at this job that is clearly drying you out...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:34 pm

I'm saying, while that does seem like an option on the surface, I lose:

- all benefits (health, time off)
- years accrued (to get more PTO)
- my pay (would be cut from about 18.50/hr to 12.00 or lower)

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Probably best to deal with it for now and use the annoyances as motivation to find something you would like better.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Come to FedGov. They would appreciate your anal retentive attention to detail but they wouldn't ask nearly as much of you.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Someone at my place of employment had a heart attack, I don't believe he made it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:07 am

I'm saying, while that does seem like an option on the surface, I lose:

- all benefits (health, time off)
- years accrued (to get more PTO)
- my pay (would be cut from about 18.50/hr to 12.00 or lower)
Step 1: Update resume (or get it professionally done, well worth it)
Step 2: Upload to job sites
Step 3: hammer in apps to any places that have the easy apply on indeed/monster/Glassdoor/whatever

That easy apply ensures you don’t have to go to some bullshit other site and do a bunch of non-sense. In your situation quantity in terms of apps submitted is the way to go.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:42 am

Good lists, boys.

I'm kidding. Please don't get your jimmies rustled

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 am

Good lists, boys.

I'm kidding. Please don't get your jimmies rustled
You’re an dadhole because

- I dunno you are
- smarmy joke
- I don’t have a reason
- lists!!!!!!!!

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 pm

So, I'm getting what I want at my job in terms of leaving my day to day work for the team I run with someone else...and getting more project based work, more pursuing of new lines of service, more operations stuff...

My next project is to become part of a scrum team and write requirements and user stories and all that noise for our developers for a new app/line of service...I know nothing about scrum stuff and sprints and all that...it seems like one of those things that sounds more efficient and organized and purposeful than it actually is...as a non-developer, what I am in for? Or did I not provide enough information?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 pm

So, I'm getting what I want at my job in terms of leaving my day to day work for the team I run with someone else...and getting more project based work, more pursuing of new lines of service, more operations stuff...

My next project is to become part of a scrum team and write requirements and user stories and all that noise for our developers for a new app/line of service...I know nothing about scrum stuff and sprints and all that...it seems like one of those things that sounds more efficient and organized and purposeful than it actually is...as a non-developer, what I am in for? Or did I not provide enough information?
Oh boy welcome to the world of "Sprints" and planning and all that fun stuff. I think it's generally pointless and a time waste, but our company has been doing it for several years. I didn't get the full time suck of it until I came over to the development side the middle of last year.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Yeah, from what little I know about it...it just seems like a different way to organize thoughts and execution (which is fine), but not particularly noteworthy or any more efficient than...whatever the alternatives are...

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:12 pm

All it means is you'll have more meetings and feel like you have to justify your workflow.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:13 pm

All it means is you'll have more meetings and feel like you have to justify your workflow.
That sums it up perfectly haha.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Radical. Sounds super fun. I'll remain the curmudgeony realist on the fringes of that movement...I don't need more meetings...I need things to get done, so I can go back to my desk and watch hockey...