Job and General Employment Thread

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:06 pm

For sure, and I plan on being transparent. I like where I'm at, it's just more chaotic currently, and seemingly we're being asked to produce way more, with way less, and it's weighing on everyone.

Ultimately, I am really leaning towards applying. I wouldn't believe that I'd lose a position, etc. Just not a fan of rocking the boat like this. Secondarily, my boss is traveling for work, so I'm gonna hit him with an e-mail, which is also slightly touchy but would probably allow me to better explain the situation.

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Anytime someone internal applies for a posting at my Company, their current supervisor gets an automatically generated email letting them know.

Not good for your boss to get hit with that surprise email without hearing it from your mouth personally first.

I'd recommend researching how your company handles that and support telling your current boss first either way..

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Word, it's a policy that I don't have to tell my manager that I applied, only if I interview, I couldn't do that though, and would just prefer to that I tell my manager first, at time of application submission.

That all being said, that's my only fear, that it'll hurt the relationship I have, which makes it kind of poopy because I feel like I'm purposely holding myself back worrying about the afterwards if I don't get the job. I think my manager is great, but things could be a lot better, I just don't want to get fast-tracked to the "replace this guy because he applied internally" list.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:53 pm

I had my review today with my manager, and everything went very well. After talking about how raises would be divided amongst the team (we get a certain percentage to split), I noticed that I’m over the control point of my salary range. Neither of us knows how they handle that, though we both think that I’ll receive a raise like I normally would.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Forklift training today... lunch was supposed to be here at 11:30, and then we finish the training with hands on stuff at noon. Lunch still isn't here and the dude is refusing to start any of the hands on training until after lunch (which I am only doing one of the 3 parts, so it'd take 5 minutes for me...).

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Word, it's a policy that I don't have to tell my manager that I applied, only if I interview, I couldn't do that though, and would just prefer to that I tell my manager first, at time of application submission.

That all being said, that's my only fear, that it'll hurt the relationship I have, which makes it kind of poopy because I feel like I'm purposely holding myself back worrying about the afterwards if I don't get the job. I think my manager is great, but things could be a lot better, I just don't want to get fast-tracked to the "replace this guy because he applied internally" list.
In the end, do what’s best for you. In the past I’ve worried about work relationships and perception before and it made me stay longer than I should have and I got burned because of it. Lesson learned. Just my opinion.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 pm

For sure, this is all happening this week, so hopefully, I'll have a path to a resolution soon.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 am

I recently signed on a contractor as a second job for a small company to get some extra money and to be possibly hired full time there. Went through two phone interviews before hired. The company had an event last week for clients and invited their employees and contractors. I went and met/talked to the one employee on the team I would work with. He was in on my two interviews and I had sent him a DM in the company’s Slack introducing myself when I started and letting him know I am available for work. I got no response. He is active in Slack as he posts in channels every day.

When I talked to him at this event it was like he had no idea who I was. We talked for 15 minutes and went well. The next morning I sent him a DM saying it was nice meeting him, etc. His status was “Active” at the time and he was chatting in the other channels. But still no response and nothing a week later. What gives? Gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Forklift training today...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Forklift training today... lunch was supposed to be here at 11:30, and then we finish the training with hands on stuff at noon. Lunch still isn't here and the dude is refusing to start any of the hands on training until after lunch (which I am only doing one of the 3 parts, so it'd take 5 minutes for me...).
Had crane training class yesterday. Authorized to use the 25, 50, and 80 ton cranes at work under supervision, then a little down the line I'm able to operate them as need be. Sure, just let me hoist around 15 ton transformers...

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:56 pm

I recently signed on a contractor as a second job for a small company to get some extra money and to be possibly hired full time there. Went through two phone interviews before hired. The company had an event last week for clients and invited their employees and contractors. I went and met/talked to the one employee on the team I would work with. He was in on my two interviews and I had sent him a DM in the company’s Slack introducing myself when I started and letting him know I am available for work. I got no response. He is active in Slack as he posts in channels every day.

When I talked to him at this event it was like he had no idea who I was. We talked for 15 minutes and went well. The next morning I sent him a DM saying it was nice meeting him, etc. His status was “Active” at the time and he was chatting in the other channels. But still no response and nothing a week later. What gives? Gives me a bad taste in my mouth.
Make sure you file your taxes quarterly. A guy I worked with said he didn't know about this and got boned.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am

Had crane training class yesterday. Authorized to use the 25, 50, and 80 ton cranes at work under supervision, then a little down the line I'm able to operate them as need be. Sure, just let me hoist around 15 ton transformers...
Beats the training here. I worked here for at least 4 years before I had any safety training on cranes. Was hauling around 1 ton compressors fairly often.

csb alert: In 2013 I traveled to China for work, visiting a plant where they assemble/manufacture locomotives. They must have had 8 crane operators in the rafters about 6 stories high. Seeing 4, 150 ton locomotives moving all at once right above your head, operated by 4 ft tall Chinese women was a bit unnerving.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am

:lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 am

Talked to the guy who told me to apply, told him that I was going to be announced as manager this week, but no extra details have been discussed with me. Which leads me to assume that it's in name only, and that's not cool.

He's taking it a level higher and talking to my boss on Monday about it because he wants to even check before I apply, so it just may be a straight discussion w/him on Monday anyways.

I've never been a part of a company where you're told you're going to be announced as a "manager" and then not tell them any more details, it's nonsense.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 am

Source of the postI've never been a part of a company where you're told you're going to be announced as a "manager" and then not tell them any more details, it's nonsense.
That's just bad form.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 am

Source of the postI've never been a part of a company where you're told you're going to be announced as a "manager" and then not tell them any more details, it's nonsense.
That's just bad form.
Honestly, to know who I work with, everyone here is overworked and very under-appreciated. So in some ways, I CAN see how something like this gets slipped, but as a former manager, this is something that is truly appalling to me, and I've told the other guy this and he thought it was crazy too.

I'm at the point where if I'm not going to get what I need with the title change, I'm going to ask if I can flat out-deny the position and stay in my current role, and then just apply for the other one immediately.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 am

Source of the post Honestly, to know who I work with, everyone here is overworked and very under-appreciated.
Hey I work there too!

Although, the under-appreciated part is only from senior management/executives. Lower level managers and other people at my level are very appreciative - for the most part.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm on the cusp of trying to be one level beneath senior management. It's very much a thankless, agonizing realm.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 am

Last day of work before vacation aka the longest day in recorded history.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 am

Make sure you file your taxes quarterly. A guy I worked with said he didn't know about this and got boned.
A 5AF poster didn't know about this and and got boned.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:03 am

One of our sales guys came and asked if I'd join him on a call this afternoon because the science is over his head. Ugh... yeah, sure. Send me the details.

Turns out the guy we're chatting with won the nobel prize in physics a couple years ago... no big deal.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:12 pm

They hand those things out like carnival tickets.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:14 pm

just share some of that down home Bedford county folksy wisdom you grew up with

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Younz ever been to the beffert county fair on half price night?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Half price night? I bet the people smell spectacular.