Job and General Employment Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:58 am

Ghosting is definitely way more common, and I've seen it a lot in the last year or two. Another common practice now is no-showing interviews, completely disappearing off the face of the planet after interviews, etc.

I have some theories on it, but I think a big part of it might be the lack of social skills. I think younger people, in order to avoid conversations they perceive as difficult, simply choose to burn the bridge and move on. Working in talent acquisition, it's maddening, that's for sure.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am

This is one of those things I'm going to teach my daughter when the time comes, because those are all shitbag moves, IMO.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 am

There is a lot of talk in higher education about "lawnmower parents" who mow down any obstacles for their children throughout high school, so when they get to college and have to fend for themselves (mostly) it's a struggle. They meander through college and get into the workforce and crumble when the first bit of adversity hits.

I've told this story before, but I took a phone call from a parent (of a college student) who asked me if her son's calculator had turned up in our building. He was "too busy" to stop by and ask himself. Teaching faculty have multiple horror stories each class, as they often hear more from parents than from the students they teach. It's...special. And frightening.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:13 am

Nice article, timely.

The FedGov workforce is pretty big as a whole. But when you filter it down to 2210s (IT) and then look into GS 13/14 it gets pretty small, even across agencies. Just a move I couldn't do, the guy must have been from the private sector.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:14 am

Back when I was first out of school looking for jobs, I got an offer from a place down in DC and accepted it. Then a couple days later I got an offer from a place in philly, and I liked the philly job more, so I chose the philly job. I called and left a message with my contact at the DC firm saying that I took another offer. They never called back to discuss it. I mean, I did my part by contacting them, but at the same time, I felt kind of like a jagoff. Ultimately though, you gotta do whats best for you.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 am

As I finished my previous post, I found this article on how to quit a job: over the store intercom:
Jackson Racicot, 17, looked around before flashing a subtle smile to the camera. It would be his last day
working at the Walmart in Grande Prairie in Alberta, Canada.
In the one-minute video, he’s seen punching in a code to boot up the store’s intercom system. Racicot was
about to announce his resignation in a way many disgruntled employees could only dream of. This would be
his coup de grace.
“Attention all shoppers, associates and management, I would like to say, to all of you today, that nobody
should work here — ever.”
The video, which was posted last Thursday, had more than 1,500 shares and 1,200 likes on Facebook as of
Wednesday afternoon. It was posted with the caption “How I quit my job today. Like, much watch.”
Racicot’s voice boomed through the loudspeakers as he claimed the store’s management didn’t care about
the employees. He alleged that his boss, an assistant manager, called him a “waste of time.” He further
accused the store of cutting employee benefits to save money.
“I’ve been a loyal employee here for over a year and a half, and I’m sick of all the bulls---, bogus write-ups,
and my job,” he said. He ended his rant using expletives to curse management, his job and Walmart as a
whole.
At least one person is heard cheering in the background after he slammed down the phone.
He actually submitted a letter of resignation to his manager before going over the intercom. And he had another job lined up as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 9afe31fa17

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:18 am

Ghosting is definitely way more common, and I've seen it a lot in the last year or two. Another common practice now is no-showing interviews, completely disappearing off the face of the planet after interviews, etc.

I have some theories on it, but I think a big part of it might be the lack of social skills. I think younger people, in order to avoid conversations they perceive as difficult, simply choose to burn the bridge and move on. Working in talent acquisition, it's maddening, that's for sure.
I would never ghost a company, but I’ve had plenty of companies ghost me. So I don’t feel sorry when it happens to them.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 am

I would never ghost a company, but I’ve had plenty of companies ghost me. So I don’t feel sorry when it happens to them.
Yeah, I'd never do it. But these companies getting "ghosted".. you're telling me they call and inform every candidate that they didn't select them for the job too? I feel 0% bad

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 am

FedGov does this. If the admin person doesn't go back into the system and flag the announcement as filled it leaves everyone that interviewed in the dark. It sucks.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm

I have no issue with people ghosting companies during an interview process.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Yeah, I'd never do it. But these companies getting "ghosted".. you're telling me they call and inform every candidate that they didn't select them for the job too? I feel 0% bad
I can tell you right now we have a 100% success rate in terms of notifying candidates that have been screened or interviewed. That said, no, I do not send an email to every single candidate that applies for a job, because for some positions we get like 200-300 applicants, many of which are utter trash.

However, *any* candidate that I move beyond the initial review phase with, I always make sure to close the loop with them.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:08 pm

I can tell you right now we have a 100% success rate in terms of notifying candidates that have been screened or interviewed. That said, no, I do not send an email to every single candidate that applies for a job, because for some positions we get like 200-300 applicants, many of which are utter trash.

However, *any* candidate that I move beyond the initial review phase with, I always make sure to close the loop with them.
I was only speaking on letting interviewees know if they didn't get the job. So that's awesome you get back to everyone. That said, I would say you are in the extreme minority.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:06 pm

The boss just offered up a work from home deal for one day a week. Once I figure out a few storage logistics, I'm definitely going to take him up on it. The big question is what day? Immediately you jump to a Monday or Friday, but I'm sort of thinking Wednesday would be amazing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Source of the post Immediately you jump to a Monday or Friday, but I'm sort of thinking Wednesday would be amazing.
Mondays and Fridays have the highest number of holidays and early dismissals. With one day, Wednesday would break up the work week nicely.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Yeah, I would look hard at Wednesday. If not that, Monday, even with the holidays. I *love* easing into the workweek.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:29 pm

In my old life, I did Wednesdays. I loved it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:41 pm

The boss just offered up a work from home deal for one day a week. Once I figure out a few storage logistics, I'm definitely going to take him up on it. The big question is what day? Immediately you jump to a Monday or Friday, but I'm sort of thinking Wednesday would be amazing.
Wednesday - a good time to get a workload on Monday and Tuesday, knock it out on Wednesday - then bring results Thursday and Friday.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 pm

The reason why I like Friday is the following:

A) If my wife and I are headed to family for the weekend, I can leave Thursday night and work from my in-law's house on Friday. It makes weekend travel 1000x easier.

B) Because people are usually halfway out the door on Friday, it makes my WFH days generally my quietest day of the week. Not to say I don't work, but once Friday at noon hits, the rest of the day is super quiet and I can pretty much do whatever I want.

C) It makes the week seem so much shorter. When Wednesday night hits, I know that I only have one more day to go in the office, and it's a great feeling.

The reason I would shy away from Wednesdays is that it tends to be very busy and I would be more likely to get a bunch of calls/stuff I have to respond to. On top of that, it's already hard enough going back to the office after the weekend. Not sure I would like to have to go from a home day to an office day twice a week.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Friday would probably be my first choice, but one caveat on the whole thing was we couldn't have multiple people out on a single day. We're a small team (only 6 members) so he was worried about the perception if two or more of us are not in the office. I'm giving first dibs to the two folks on staff who have kids so I'll see what's left after that. I just assumed they'd take Monday and Friday but who knows. I'd happily take Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Tuesday or Thursday would be the pits.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Source of the post Tuesday or Thursday would be the pits.
Tuesday and Thursday are awesome. I'm never physically in work two days in a row, and have all of the benefits of leaving early before holidays, etc.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:48 pm

I’ve done Wednesday for nearly four years. I would not change it

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Huge fan of working from home on Wednesday as well.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am

Got a call from my boss the other day. He is a fabulous boss, by the way. Leaves you alone to get your sht done and if he has a question lets you know. Otherwise do your job and he’s good.

My team has five members including myself. One had previously been advised she is being severed in January. Now I have to get rid of two more leaving one employee and me. I am being removed from all projects to basically fill in the day to day due to losing 60% of the team.

Boss not sure if he is being kept around or not. They are also severing a Director who has become one of my best friends over the past several years.

Instinct tells me to start looking but at current rates my severance would be just into 6 figures- so I need to stay till they pay me to leave.

This job bout to suck.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:08 am

Source of the post Instinct tells me to start looking but at current rates my severance would be just into 6 figures- so I need to stay till they pay me to leave.
I'd probably still start looking, if only to see what was out there and keep track of it. That way if you were told to lead, it'd save you some time.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:17 am

I’ve considered it to get my name out there and maybe my dream job pops up and I actually end up better off without a package. At the very least I’m going to hire a pro to go over my resume.