Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Hmm, okay. He's actually Mona Lisa.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

My boss is getting a table of 10 for some big fancy fundraiser event later this month. Costs something like $2500 for the table. I got an invite to attend and he's covering the bill. F*ck yeah, I'm going. A $250 a plate dinner has to be good stuff. And if not, f*ck it, I'll drink.
Find out who is catering before getting all excited.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:57 pm

There's a reason the phrase "rubber chicken fundraiser" came about.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:13 am

I received an email from a recruiter yesterday after applying to a company. She wanted a phone screen at a time I was unavailable, so I kindly gave her my availability for the whole week. No reply still. I'm assuming she's waiting to hear from a hiring manager but still makes ya uneasy.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Has anyone returned to a job that they quit (on good terms)? I left two months ago for my new job but it hasn’t been a good fit. Things have changed since the posting/interview, and now it’s affecting my mental health/personal life.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:24 pm

We've had a couple people do that here. It was fine. They were low level employees. And they said just that, "wasn't a fit, wasn't comfortable"...we needed the help and the plug and play ability, so it worked out...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:03 pm

I received an email from a recruiter yesterday after applying to a company. She wanted a phone screen at a time I was unavailable, so I kindly gave her my availability for the whole week. No reply still. I'm assuming she's waiting to hear from a hiring manager but still makes ya uneasy.
Followed up this morning after two complete business days, just to be sure my gmail didnt get sent to her spam folder or something. SHe replied within 5 minutes confirming the new time. uh, thanks, i guess...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Has anyone returned to a job that they quit (on good terms)? I left two months ago for my new job but it hasn’t been a good fit. Things have changed since the posting/interview, and now it’s affecting my mental health/personal life.
I would think it depends largely on your former manager and the HR culture. There are places I've worked where I don't think I'd have any problem returning after a stint like that like, and with that as the reasoning. But there are other places where I know within 90 seconds of delivering my notice I was PNG'd.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I would think it depends largely on your former manager and the HR culture. There are places I've worked where I don't think I'd have any problem returning after a stint like that like, and with that as the reasoning. But there are other places where I know within 90 seconds of delivering my notice I was PNG'd.
ive re-hired several people. grass is not always greener on the other side. more often than not, it has turned out to be a great thing. except for the time that it wasnt.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:25 pm

I refuse to leave vacation time unused.
I fully believe using all of your vacation time, especially use it or lose it. If I got paid out for unused vacation, then I may take some of the money.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I carry over 20 vacation days and 15+ sick days each year.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:01 pm

I have unlimited PTO

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 pm

Holy ****, do I feel you. Unluckily for me, there is no job or company to go back to.

Are you friendly with you former manager? At the very least do you have any former coworkers still there that you can get a read on the situation?

At my old place, this happened a number of times. Like others have said, depends on the HR/department culture.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Slightly annoyed today. I've been thrust into a new role within the company here for a new team that doesn't exist. I'm not a manager per-say, but I'm doing everything that incorporates the role of that position. I've done this role for a little over a year now, and was told last year that a manager position would open up, nothing ever happened. Whatever.

Then for next year planning, there is a meeting happening for roles and responsibility, and everyone but our team is accounted for and I was told that I didn't need to attend.

So now my assumption is that there is no manager representing a team that I'm eventually going to have to do the work for, they're hiring a new manager and now keeping me out of that talk, or whatever.

Slightly frustrating, because I've been busting my ass doing what I can to succeed - and don't really see a reason to continue going above and beyond until our roles are more clear.
Update?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 am

Our new, incompetent CTO scheduled a mandatory 'team building' event on a day that I had scheduled off for a doctor's appointment for my daughter, so now I've got to come in, leave early to get home in time to get my daughter, and then come right back into the city for the appointment.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Slightly annoyed today. I've been thrust into a new role within the company here for a new team that doesn't exist. I'm not a manager per-say, but I'm doing everything that incorporates the role of that position. I've done this role for a little over a year now, and was told last year that a manager position would open up, nothing ever happened. Whatever.

Then for next year planning, there is a meeting happening for roles and responsibility, and everyone but our team is accounted for and I was told that I didn't need to attend.

So now my assumption is that there is no manager representing a team that I'm eventually going to have to do the work for, they're hiring a new manager and now keeping me out of that talk, or whatever.

Slightly frustrating, because I've been busting my ass doing what I can to succeed - and don't really see a reason to continue going above and beyond until our roles are more clear.
Update?
Nothing yet. I'm preparing for bonding leave when my wife gives birth and my boss is traveling the next week. So poo poo

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 pm

I've never heard of a "bonding leave." Paternity leave, sure, but bonding?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Why isn't work from home more widely used? I don't get it. I'm more productive at home. But I have to be in the office to manage relationships. I'm not asking for the whole week. Just a day per.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 am

Because that's how we did things yesterday (same with our industrial revolution relic 40 hour work week)...and depending on the sensitivity of the information (like in my field), insurance costs for data become unpalatable...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 am

Source of the post Why isn't work from home more widely used?
It grows every year, especially if you're in a technology department. There have been plenty of studies done showing how much it improved everything from worker satisfaction to lowering operating costs on-site, but there are still managers who physically need to see you in order to feel safe.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 am

Why isn't work from home more widely used? I don't get it. I'm more productive at home. But I have to be in the office to manage relationships. I'm not asking for the whole week. Just a day per.
We're "allowed" to do it here, but the boss obviously hates it. So you're told you can, but you get treated "differently", let's say, if you do. So no one does. Except if you're his pet, then you do it every Friday and never check your email.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 am

If I stay in my current field, I doubt I'd ever be able to work from home. Too much time required in the lab, interacting with manufacturing, etc.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 am

I let my team work from home one day a week - but not Monday or Friday

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am

I've gone as long as 2 months not stepping foot into my office. I work more in office now in my new role(training new people) but if I wanted to work from home at any time I could.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 am

I'm not as productive at home. I get easily distracted, will probably watch TV, do laundry, etc instead of work for periods of time. Plus during the summer I got the kids there, so it wouldn't work.

I'm an office guy, but I have no problem with people working from home if they are able to.